Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Anyone have any good news for me?? (Read 1077 times)
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Re: Anyone have any good news for me??
Reply #15 - 07/30/08 at 21:11:15

When I start removing the camshaft sprocket bolts do I really need to be at TDC? The manual says so but it doesn't seem like it would matter as I'm pulling the whole thing apart..or am I going to mess everything up if it isn't at TDC when I pull it apart??

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 07/30/08 at 22:11:23

TDC will lesson the pressure on the bolts when you take them off.

otherwise no, just set it to TDC before you put the cam back on.

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #17 - 07/31/08 at 10:24:32

Got it apart last night. Valve is obviously shot. The area by the valve in the valve cover? is chewed up a little..piston is shot..but the walls look just fine. Hopefully there isn't any other damage. So, is Clymers right and a professional should do the valve replacement or is this something you guys have done yourself?

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 07/31/08 at 11:25:42

Personally, I'd have a pro rebuild the head.

Or pick up a used one.

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #19 - 07/31/08 at 11:47:37

That's what I was thinking. Probably gonna be better to just pick one up seeing as several of the parts are going to have to be replaced anyways. Can I replace the piston myself though or am I going to have to take the whole engine to someone?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 07/31/08 at 11:50:44

That you can do yourself.

And I'd take the cylinder out and get it treated.

I think it was savage greg who got it carbided or something.

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #21 - 07/31/08 at 18:51:44

Here we have it. Sorry the pix are crappy, I just took them with my phone really quick. Looks like it's going to be a new piston and valve...gonna replace the cam chain too I guess since I'm this far in. Anyone think that cylinder head is going to fly with those little chunks chewed up? Guess I could see what the shop says about it when I get a price on replacing the valve but that cylinder head is ExPeNsIvE! Actually I'd better take a closer look cause it appears it might be chewed up right where the valves seat  Undecided

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #22 - 07/31/08 at 19:17:51

Definitely check the bottom end for pieces of piston. Unfortunately the piston is aluminum alloy so a magnet won't work to fish them out.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 07/31/08 at 21:15:24

What causes such death & destruction? Dang, what a mess. That head is done, IMO, a used one wouldnt be thatmuch $$, surely.
How fast were you running when it started making the big noises? If the cylinder walls arent messed up, Id say you got lucky. Looks like a lot of hard stuff was bouncing around in there a while.. You deffinitely have to pull that engine & open the sides & rock it around till you find all the little pieces of piston down in there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #24 - 08/01/08 at 06:18:36

Who knows? I'm hoping someone has some knowledge on what may have caused it so I can avoid it once I finish the rebuild..but, if it's just part failure I guess I got unlucky. Was only traveling about 35-40 when it happened. It was a slight pop, the sound of something bouncing around inside and almost immediately lost compression. I pulled the clutch and got off to the side of the road. I was heading uphill on a narrow 2 lane bridge. Once I finally got it pushed up the hill without getting run over I proceeded into the 7 mile walk home. Guess it could have been worse though

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #25 - 08/01/08 at 10:04:06

What caused it......   one posibility is valve adjustment.

For reference, here on the east side of PA, I got a full used head assembly, cam & all, for $200.

The first oversized piston kit (+0.5 mm .... or was it +0.05  Huh) runs around $100 +/- some.   Take note: the Suzuki OS Piston kit does not include a wrist pin, that's around $12 to $14 extra.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #26 - 08/01/08 at 20:00:00

you will definitely want that boy bored out!  looks can be deceiving.   I would take the head and cylinder to a shop and have a mechanic look at it.  you may get lucky and just need it to be honed.  good luck.  has anyone ever had one ported and polished?  we used to do that with dirt bikes...i would love to hear from someone who has done it!

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #27 - 08/02/08 at 14:51:06

Well I plan on taking it to a machine shop to get it rehoned but starting to think I might want to bore it out bigger and upsize the piston. Anyone do this? port and polish sounds good too. Now just need to find a darn head + cover...

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #28 - 08/09/08 at 08:56:26

Alright so I've been looking and looking. Still nothing, but, does anyone know what year Savage parts are interchangeable?..and if the s40 parts are also the same? Just wondering in case I come across something other than a 96 Savage. Also, by searching the schematics on Bikebandit I'm finding all the cylinder head assemblies throughout the years look just about the same. Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 08/09/08 at 16:17:42

The guts are the same, trannys changed, but all the cams, pistons, cranks & rods & such are the same. Used parts are out there. There are even whole engines, as opposed to engines with holes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:27:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone have any good news for me??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.