Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
600 mile service question(s) (Read 410 times)
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: 600 mile service question(s)
Reply #30 - 08/09/08 at 12:42:05

[quote author=090C060B525353630 link=1217257281/15#29 date=1218302483]Oh, yea.  My brother's bike is going to need a valve job soon.  It's also an S40.  I'm thinking about doing a video of it if you guys would be interested. /quote]

A short instructional video would be great!  Sure would save a lot of time for you typing up instructions and trying to describe each step. I bet it would  also give people more confidence to try their own adjustments.  

A final benefit is that you can edit out the parts where you tear a bloody strip of skin off and cuss for 10 minutes. Nobody will notice the new band aid that appears in the next scene and you'll always look like a pro  Grin

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 08/09/08 at 16:04:38

People will notice new band-aids that pop up in the video. Maybe you should just put some one places likely to get wounded before you start.
Get Robertomoe to film it, it wont take long that way.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #32 - 08/09/08 at 21:21:08

EssForty wrote on 08/09/08 at 08:51:06:
Very helpful thread!

I bought a used 2006 S40 a few weeks ago that only had 150 miles on it. At 600 miles I took it into the stealership and they first told me it would be $230 for the service. I said I thought that was a little steep, and asked if that included the valves. The service clerk said yes. Then after waiting about 20 minutes, she came over and clarified that the price was for "inspecting" the valves, but that adjusting the valves would be another $120.  So I said "OK, if after inspection they find that the valves need adjustment come and get me and I'll decide if I want to pay another $120 for an adjustment". So she writes it down on the service request, and then 10 minutes later comes back and says "It will definitely need an adjustment, and if you don't adjust the valves now, then Suzuki will not honor any future claims".
So I told her that #1: the bike is not under warranty so I'm on my own anyway, #2: I am not going to authorize work that may not be needed, and #3: I am concerned about doing business with a service department that can tell me what is wrong with my bike without even removing the covers.  (I could see the bike still sitting outside the service department. )

So I asked for my keys back, smiled and walked out of the shop and rode home. The service clerk and the tech were both stunned, as if their little tag team game never failed before. Figured they had a fish on the line and they could squeeze me.

I purchased the S40 for its simplicity and planned to do most of the routine maintenance myself, but thought I'd let the pros handle the first adjustment.  Based on what I have read here, I will buy the specialized tools and do it myself.  

Now that this forum has saved me about $350 I just need to figure out who to email the check to Smiley

You could spend it in support of this website. Spend it at the store, buy an Alliance Membership, check the marketplace for new "toys" for your Savage. Just be sure to send all the booty care of "Jay" in Fort Worth, Tx. Wink

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #33 - 08/09/08 at 21:35:50

That made me laugh.  I wonder how my ISP would respond if I tell them their "check's in the e-mail, but that is usually a little slow, so you might not get it for awhile."  CenturyTel has the slowest electrons on the planet.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:35:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 600 mile service question(s)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.