Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
600 mile service question(s) (Read 410 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: 600 mile service question(s)
Reply #15 - 07/28/08 at 20:37:38

I thought it was every 3500, but I'm probably wrong.  I generally do stuff like that whenever I think of it.  Oil I change regularly, though.

I adjusted my valves, rode it a week, then checked them again.  One needed a little more love at that point, but was still within spec.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #16 - 07/29/08 at 06:17:51

Ok Sandy, you have me rethinking.  However the big questiong I have at this point that the tech article didn't make clear is "how do I know if the valves need to be adjusted?"   the physical part of turning screws and bolts doesn't bother me.  Its the when/why and how much that I am unclear on. Embarrassed

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 07/29/08 at 07:15:23

Louder ticks could be one indication, but usually 3500 miles.

WWW   IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #18 - 07/29/08 at 09:27:41

I found another shop not too far away that does the same service including valve adjustment as necessary for only $179.  That is nearly $100 less than the local place and well worth it to me given that I have kids and not a ton of free time to dink around in my garage (unfortunately).  Maybe at the next 3500 mile mark I will think of tackling the valve adjustment myself but for this first one I am going to drive the 20 miles and let the Suzuki shop handle this one.   Thanks for all of the input from everyone.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #19 - 07/29/08 at 20:19:15

07S40rider wrote on 07/29/08 at 06:17:51:
Ok Sandy, you have me rethinking.  However the big questiong I have at this point that the tech article didn't make clear is "how do I know if the valves need to be adjusted?"   the physical part of turning screws and bolts doesn't bother me.  Its the when/why and how much that I am unclear on. Embarrassed

I know you're commited to going with the shop, but you did ask when/why. I've checked mine twice now. Once at 600 miles, and again at 2500. Both times it was a check, no adjustment was neccesary. That is determined by the "go - no go" on the feeler guage part of vroom 1776's excellent tutorial on the valve check and adjustment. The hardest part was getting the timing inspection plug off. Get the recommended tools and it's a snap. The only problems I ran into were when I found myself thinking "I don't have to get that tool. I can make do with what I've got." BIG MISTAKE. If it says you need offset wrenches (and it does) GET THEM! The only problem, in your situation, will be time. It took me 4 hours the first time. I cut that to 2 hours the second time around, but was doing other maintenence work along with the valve check.
Follow the directions, and you shouldn't have any problems. Other than getting your chest, swelled with pride, in through the door to your house, where you will anounce to your wife/SO, "Ugh, me man! Me do mechanic work! Me no scew up! Me big time important now!" To which your wife or SO may reply, "Oh goody, think big time important man can handle taking out the trash?" . To which I replied "^!@# NO! Me too important! Me big time. You no boss of me!" Actually I think what I said was "Yes dear." Wink

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #20 - 07/30/08 at 05:31:53

I let the stealership do my 600-mile service for about the same price, BUT I hadn't bought the manual and I hadn't found this site yet.  I'm a computer programmer and knew NOTHING about bikes.  I did the 7500-mile service myself and will be doing all the others myself.  I took pictures throughout my last service am I'm gonna post a service how-to later this week.  These are pretty simple little bikes and it really is fun doing the maintenance yourself.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 07/30/08 at 06:48:52

Mine never got that 600 mile thing.The head bolts never were retorqued. I was so involved when it was time for the cam chain I forgot to do it, remembered after it was all buttoned up.Now, with 18,000 miles on it, I cant see any maintenance issues that I can point to & say it was because I didnt do the 600 mile service. I just check valves & change oil & run it. It stays in my garage so I never wonder if I can ride it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #22 - 07/30/08 at 10:22:41

I do the services more for my own enjoyment and peace of mind than for anything else.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #23 - 07/30/08 at 10:52:14

I had the stealership do my 600 mile service (it was $129) for a different reason: I wanted Suzuki to honor the warranty if I ran into any issues.  I've had issues in the past where an auto company didn't honor warranty work since the scheduled maintenance hadn't been followed.  I didn't figure on any issues with the bike but better to be safe than sorry.

My 12/12 warranty runs out in 26 days and I should be do for my next service just after that. Smiley

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #24 - 07/30/08 at 13:01:10

I feel much more comfortable on the bike doing my own maintenance.  Not only because I know what was done, but because I'll know how to fix it in the future if something goes wrong.  I've run into many things in the last few months that would have cost me hundreds (if not thousands) that I just did myself.  Once I got past the intimidation factor, it was on!

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #25 - 07/30/08 at 17:50:30

rpgpgmr wrote on 07/30/08 at 05:31:53:
I did the 7500-mile service myself and will be doing all the others myself.

There's a 7500 mile service?  Crap.  I guess maybe I should read that owner's manual I downloaded, one of these days.  My, how time flies.  Seems like it was only April 6th of this year that my bike had 3600 miles on it.  Now here we are, almost August 1 and there are 8845 showing on the odometer.  The bike is all grown up already.

I was hoping to wait until winter before checking the cam chain, but maybe I better not press my luck.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #26 - 08/09/08 at 08:51:06

Very helpful thread!

I bought a used 2006 S40 a few weeks ago that only had 150 miles on it. At 600 miles I took it into the stealership and they first told me it would be $230 for the service. I said I thought that was a little steep, and asked if that included the valves. The service clerk said yes. Then after waiting about 20 minutes, she came over and clarified that the price was for "inspecting" the valves, but that adjusting the valves would be another $120.  So I said "OK, if after inspection they find that the valves need adjustment come and get me and I'll decide if I want to pay another $120 for an adjustment". So she writes it down on the service request, and then 10 minutes later comes back and says "It will definitely need an adjustment, and if you don't adjust the valves now, then Suzuki will not honor any future claims".
So I told her that #1: the bike is not under warranty so I'm on my own anyway, #2: I am not going to authorize work that may not be needed, and #3: I am concerned about doing business with a service department that can tell me what is wrong with my bike without even removing the covers.  (I could see the bike still sitting outside the service department. )

So I asked for my keys back, smiled and walked out of the shop and rode home. The service clerk and the tech were both stunned, as if their little tag team game never failed before. Figured they had a fish on the line and they could squeeze me.

I purchased the S40 for its simplicity and planned to do most of the routine maintenance myself, but thought I'd let the pros handle the first adjustment.  Based on what I have read here, I will buy the specialized tools and do it myself.  

Now that this forum has saved me about $350 I just need to figure out who to email the check to Smiley

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 08/09/08 at 09:42:26

Figured they had a fish on the line and they could squeeze me.

They must be VERY good if they can squeeze a fish.
A little compressor, even a 2 gallon tank, will power an impact long enough to bust a bolt loose. Pawn shops have them & air tools, Harbor freight sells stuff that works, but wouldn't be anything that would last with too much use.My compressor came from there. Sometimes it makes noises that concern me Huh Some tools need to be quality, especially those being used in places hard to reach. Dont want to put cheap tools on sorry nuts & bolts, especially in hard to reach places.I don't have an offset 10 MM wrench & I have very successfully adjusted the valves several times, but I am hunting an inexpensive, quality offest 10 MM.
Last time I did the valves I used the .003 blade. I had been using the .004. I checked the valves after 3,500 miles & no adjustment needed. I wonder if the closer setting decreases the Slap as the cam ramp closes the gap & is allowing the setting to stay. I dunno.

All I can do is encourage people to do their own valves for sure, & over time, cam chains & stuff, too. I dont trust any mechanics out there to actually care. They know that if you are bringing it to them for thise level service, you arent too likely to go behind them & check it, or you would have just done it. I cant imagine asking for $120.00 to adjust, on TOP of charging just to get there & check them. Crazy. This severely impacts the economy of riding a bike. , I paid about $60.00 to a small shop to check & adjust the valves the first tiome & they let me be there to watch, which gave me all the comfidence I needed.  $200.00 every 3,000 miles to check & adjust the valves, no way. Tires on bikes go away fast & cost a good bit & most just pay to have them mounted, another small sackload of cash.This is a pretty Owner friendly bike. There is fun to be had messing with it & $$$ to be saved, with just a small investment in tools & a MANual. & the " getting Squoze like a fish" is over when you do it yourself. It takes a while to get into the swing of things & paying for help as you get used to the idea & the tools to do it is the only way to stay on the road, but once folks start doing their own work,they will have more ride time, since it wont be sitting in line at the shop , waiting.& more $$ in the pockets, since they wont be paying for someone elses 6 packs, And, a Bigger Grin, because knowing you are the one keeping the thing running just plain FEELS good.

OHH yEa, Last time I did the rear tire, I spoent a few hours on the rim, while the tire was off, cleaned up the rust in the wheel & treated it with Ospho. A shop would have popped the tire off, slapped a new tube in & crammed the old tire back on & never even told me it needed cleaned up inside. All they want is to get PAID. But we, the owners, take the time to do the TLC stuff & while messing with it, we find little things that need done.
I've said all that to say this. Working on this little bike pays off more than once. MOney saved, more riding,self satisfaction, time working on it is time inspecting & paying attention to what needs done, soon.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #28 - 08/09/08 at 10:15:43

I just adjusted my valves yesterday.  It was a pain in the arse.  Very hard to get to them to check the clearance.  I had to bend my guages.
I would highly recommend getting the "trick" feeler guages referred to in the tech secion.  

You don't need the special wrench to remove the timing inspection plug.  I used an electrical junction box cover that was curved similar to the slot on the cover.  I used an old denim wrag over it and there was not a ding on it after removal.  It wasn't really that tight either.  You could also use a large washer.

I did buy the offset wrenches and they easily payed for themselves.  I think they were less than $15 bucks at harbor crap.

There was nothing hard about it.  It was just a bit of a pain to check the clearance with standard guages.

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #29 - 08/09/08 at 10:21:23

-

« Last Edit: 12/07/08 at 10:09:39 by joeh100 »  

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:24:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 600 mile service question(s)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.