Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
600 mile service question(s) (Read 410 times)
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
600 mile service question(s)
07/28/08 at 08:01:20

Wondering how many here performed their own 'first service' at the 600 mile mark and how many took the bike in to a suzuki dealer or other motorcycle service shop?  For those that took theirs in somewhere, do you remember what the cost was?  I was just quoted $275 at the local Suzuki shop.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Re: 600 mile service question(s)
Reply #1 - 07/28/08 at 08:27:29

Hey 07S40rider I was quoted about the same for my 600 mile service so I decided to seek the advice of veteran s40 riders here on what was most important. To make a long story short I ended up changing my oil and upgrading it to a different viscocity of 20W50. I have 845miles on her and she is still running strong I plan to tackle the valve adjustment myself at around 1000mile mark. But until then nothing but some serious thumper riding and savage post reading for me. Cool Anyhow welcome aboard and good luck on your endeavors.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 07/28/08 at 09:05:35

Ouch! My service cost was $150... It was like 2.27 hours at $60 an hour (and I thought my mechanics $40 an hour was outrageous?!)

I'd check somewhere else. Is this the same dealer you purchased the bike from?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #3 - 07/28/08 at 09:14:47

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 07/28/08 at 09:05:35:
Ouch! My service cost was $150... It was like 2.27 hours at $60 an hour (and I thought my mechanics $40 an hour was outrageous?!)

I'd check somewhere else. Is this the same dealer you purchased the bike from?

Yep - same dealer.  They are known for high service prices.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/28/08 at 09:19:52

I was quoted about $250 at a $40~ shop.  But I'm sure they didn't know what they were quoting.

Got Clymers?  Take a look at the maitenance section for the work they do.  Retorque the heads means they have to remove the head cover.  In some cases that means remove the engine.  The rest is easy.

I suspect Simon, their didn't quote that.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #5 - 07/28/08 at 09:51:37

yea, they said that the bulk of the 600 mile service was a valve adjustment.  I don't mind picking up a wrench, but that sounds out of my league even with a good clymers manual.  He did say that I could pretty much do it anytime prior to 1000 miles though.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 07/28/08 at 10:21:24

The valve adjustment is really a peice of cake.  The 'How To' guide here is invaluable.  I did mine with my laptop sitting on the bench beside me for reference.  You will definately need a couple of specialty tools (10mm offset box wrench .001-.009" tappet feelers and a large screwdriver for the timing inspection plug).  But the whole process is pretty easy and can be done in about an hour and a half.  Just remember that it MUST be done on an ice cold engine.  Preferrably one that has been sitting overnight.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tightening bolts?
Reply #7 - 07/28/08 at 10:30:57

Is there somewhere a list of bolts that particularly need to be checked and tightened during the service (and later on)?

thks,

K

IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #8 - 07/28/08 at 12:30:00

well I just read through the very informative and well written thread in the tech section on adjusting the valves myself.   Shocked I can see that I will be paying the $275 because that looks like something I could send straight to FUBAR heaven if I tried to do it myself.  Maybe later on down the road when I have performed some of the other easier maintenance procedures, but not yet.  wow.

IP Logged
jimR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

upstate NY Albany
Reply #9 - 07/28/08 at 12:44:31

I had the dealer do the maint. It cost around $150. He had it anyway to fix the speedo rattle and look at the back fire. It still has some of the back fire but now I don't need to remove the idle mixture cap! And the speedo is quiet. Wink

IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #10 - 07/28/08 at 13:22:55

Interesting update.  I called a suzuki dealer in the next town over and they quoted me much less - $150.  But they do NOT perform a valve adjustment.  If they test ride it and feel a valve adjustment is necessary then it is an additional $140.  Funny thing is that without the valve adjustment their 600 mile service basically consists of; oil change, brake check, fluid check, tire check, adjust clutch and throttle as necessary and 'check all the nuts and bolts for tightness'.  now THAT is all stuff that I feel 100% I can do.  So, do I pay $275 for what could be an unnecessary valve adjustment (very close to where I work) or do I take it to the next town over for the $150 service with the possibility of them calling me saying it also needs the $140 valve adjustment.  I am seriously leaning towards just changing the oil myself and giving it a good solid 'once over' and calling it a day.  Suggestions would be really great at this point.  Would performing the 600 mile service myself effect my warranty in any way?  I would ask the dealer but you know full well they will say "yes, it will void your warranty" blah blah blah.

IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #11 - 07/28/08 at 13:25:07

I had the dealer do the first and know I do it myself, think it was around $200 but thy changed my tank which came with a small dent at the same time but that was free.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #12 - 07/28/08 at 19:33:11

WAIT WAIT WAIT!  07S40rider, unless you have vision or fine motor disabilities, you CAN do that valve adjustment yourself.  I would not kid about this.

I was petrified of doing it, but finally bucked up and tried it.  It is a snap.  The article in the tech section makes it look complicated because it covers the process in so much detail.  When you are sitting there looking at the bike with one eye and the write-up with the other (which looks silly, I'll admit) it will all be crystal clear to you.

Also, if I may be so bold, you do not need those specialty tools to do the valve check.  I used a regular box-end/open-end  10mm wrench and a 17mm socket on a ratchet to turn the engine over.  I did it that way twice, and I'll do it that way again unless the wrench fairy leaves some new tools under my pillow.  You will need the feeler guages, which cost about five bucks at Napa.

Try this... go pull the tank off and remove the chrome covers and look at what the write-up describes in person.  At that point, you can say to yourself "Self, I think we can do this." or "Self, that Sandy is a dipstick who should stick to writing outhouse limricks."

You won't have done anything you can't reverse easily, and you will be in a better position to decide whether to spend $200.  It's a great feeling when you tackle it and win.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #13 - 07/28/08 at 20:12:08

Sandy- my valves have already been adjusted at 600 miles and again at 5,600.  But you make it sound so easy I almost want to go out and tear the bike apart right now.  Shame on you.   Grin

But seriously, I think I will probably give it a shot next time it's due.  Which would be when...? Huh

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/28/08 at 20:36:22

by the book, every 3500 miles, more or less.
every other oil change.

I like a plain set of feeler gages, and an 90° screwdriver.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:08:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 600 mile service question(s)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.