Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chirpping (Read 127 times)
Ramsforever

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chirpping
07/27/08 at 17:47:56

The last week or so, the front sprocket for the belt seems to chirp on acceleration.

Used to do that when it was wet. But now it hasn't rained in 4 days.

I adjusted the belt about 40 days ago, and it still looks good on the tool I got with the bike (2007 Boulevard S40).. just a RCH above the center line.

I washed with soap and water tonight. So we will see how it goes tomorrow.

Can low oil cause this?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Chirpping
Reply #1 - 07/27/08 at 18:02:44

We advise a looser belt.  our technique is to grab the lower belt in the middle and if you can twist it 90°  then it's right. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Ramsforever

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/27/08 at 18:06:21

Done deal.

I am having a bit of trouble with the oil level.

Does it hurt the bike, if the oil is above the full mark?

TIA!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 07/27/08 at 18:37:11

Ramsforever wrote on 07/27/08 at 18:06:21:
Done deal.

I am having a bit of trouble with the oil level.

Does it hurt the bike, if the oil is above the full mark?

TIA!

As long as the level is still in the sight glass you're fine.    If it goes too far above the sight glass it can get messy.......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 07/27/08 at 18:44:21

The consensus seems to be that it won't hurt it much, but it will make an unholy mess, possibly.  What kind of trouble are you having?  If the bike is making oil, I'll pay you double what you paid for it right now. Grin

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 07/27/08 at 20:17:41

My '07 S40 belt does that, too. It chirps on acceleration, and the chirp comes from the outboard flange of the drive pulley. I tried loosening the belt per Forum recommendations, and I tried adjusting it using Suzuki's gauge. The pitch changes, but it doesn't go away. As a little bit of an experiment I tried seeing how much belt adjustment it took to go from the 90-degree twist to the gauge adjustment, and it happened for me in less than one turn of the belt adjustment bolts. I adjust by counting "flats" on the bolt head, so I can count the same number on both sides and keep them even. It took five "flats" to go from the 90-degree twist to the Suzuki gauge setting. Six "flats" is one turn of the bolt.

I live outside town, and the shortest possible gravel road to my house is 2.5 miles from the pavement. There is no way possible to keep the belt clean. On the theory that a toothed belt cannot slip unless it is exceedingly loose, and that lubrication (NOT RECOMMENDED) probably cannot make it slip, I tried Liquid Wrench spray lube with PTFE. Its solvent quickly evaporates leaving a whitish coating. That worked for a few days, and the squeak returned. I then tried a Dupont spray lube containing Teflon (PTFE) and moly. It is sold as a chain lube safe for O-ring chains, and dries non-oily. That has cured the squeak for a few hundred miles. I am on a vacation trip and don't have the can handy, so I can't describe it further. You try this at your own risk, but so far it seems to be working for me. I got it at an Ace Hardware store, not a bike shop. When I get back home in a few days I'll provide a fuller description, if anyone cares.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/27/08 at 20:53:53

I think you'll get more statisfaction if you align the wheel like others have shown.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/28/08 at 00:29:23

Align, yes, but if the rear pulley is easy to move, then shimming the rubber blocks helps. Mine hasnt made a peep since I di that, but, I changed belt, too,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:31:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chirpping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.