Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
installed harley muffler - need opinions (Read 208 times)
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
installed harley muffler - need opinions
07/26/08 at 14:35:48

I just completed a sportster muffler install, I haven't rejetted the carb yet, but did adjust the mixture and idle settings prior to the new muffler install and really cut down on the backfire. I do have the jet kit, but just got tired today and didn't get around to pulling the carb.

Of course I couldn't wait and had to take it for a ride regardless - even without a rejet I was really pleased.

It had a lot more pickup and a lot more midrange and top end - took it out for about 45 minutes and upwards to 60mph - I had a few little burps on decel but that was ok - otherwise it seemed to run great. When I got home I cut the engine and expected a bang or at least a poof - but nothin... Everything seems great.

So I need opinions - should I still rejet the carb or run it as is since it seems to be running pretty nice right now.

I have my mixture screw at 2.5 turns out and the idle adjusted to a pretty nice gait. (when I got it it was running real lean and had a heck of a bang when I turned it off)

IP Logged
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: installed harley muffler - need opinions
Reply #1 - 07/26/08 at 14:44:23

That sounds sweet! .. I almost put my Dyna on today but decided to wait on the Jets. Maybe I should have now. The anticipation is really building now!

IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #2 - 07/26/08 at 18:33:27

definitely re-jet. I had mine (sporty pipe) on for about a week and the mixture screw out about 2.5 also. The thing runs lean as it is and the sporty pipe lets air flow even more, hence, even more lean. If anything, remove the spacer and don't go much over 3/4 throttle until you get the jets. You'll need them for WOT. Needless to say, I have the stock "Mr. Economical" pipe on now, which sounds dumb, but won't burn me exhaust valves. Check out the thread on how to Re-Jet and you will learn a lot!
Take care and ride safe
RSD Wink

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #3 - 08/06/08 at 20:01:12

so I DID rejet and it was the ticket. After a few days I got the carb running pretty well - no more black on the brake lever at least and I will check the plug this weekend - I didn't mess with the spacer because I starting stripping the screws out trying to remove it and didn't want a TOTAL mess. I will order some JIS drivers if need be, but it seems to be good now, no backfire anymore, just a little popping when I let off the throttle and I love the sound of it.

IP Logged
s40Ryder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tallahassee, FL
Reply #4 - 08/06/08 at 20:19:44

'bout how long a job was it from start to finish ? Just curious Im waiting on my kit from Lancer now to rejet. Have had my Dyna muffler about a week now with pretty much the same results you mentioned. Tweaked the mix screw as much as possible before rejetting and definitely better, just gotta get the new jets installed. Which size jets did you install BTW ? Thanks and ride safe....

Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor wi
  IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #5 - 08/06/08 at 20:36:56

It was maybe 3 hrs to do it all. I had never taken the tank off, but that was pretty easy - I think the hardest part was getting the speedo cable hooked back up under the tank - i didn't drain it and it was pretty full. I took the battery box out so I could get more room to work on the carb. I had to use channel locks on the screws, but once I initially broke them loose, I could use a philips head screwdriver to get them out and on again. It was a pretty easy job overall...

IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #6 - 08/06/08 at 20:42:20

funny thing was, when i got the muffler on and took it for a ride, prior to rejetting- it ran great! However the next morning heading to work it was bucking and all like it was out of gas, that's what made we do the rejet.

And I forgot to mention, I went with the 152 jet - figured I would start in the middle. I haven't gauged how it has affected mpg yet.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 08/07/08 at 06:32:14

The white spacer mod will make you even more happy.   I useed the "replace with washers" method.  That way I can go back to stcok if I sell the bike.     I found that the pile of old computer screw & washers I had had one that fit perfect.  

The white spcer mod will give you a bit more throttle response at mod range.  It will also help the engine run a tiny bit cooler since mid-range is where most of the riding happens.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 08/07/08 at 09:03:59

I just put a Dyna muffler on my bike Tuesday and I'm loving it -- not too noisy, looks good, no apparent loss of power compared to the old Supertrapp.  Bike runs OK now, which is to say that it was spotty before and still needs a lot of choke when cold and stumbles occasionally in mid-range. I have Lancer's kit and will do this soon, but have a question:  I think I recall seeing somewhere that there was a consensus as to how to re-jet for the Dyna muffler.  I can't find this -- can anyone direct me to that thread??   Thanks.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #9 - 08/07/08 at 09:10:20

Isn't it wonderful!  I couldn't believe the performance boost that happened when I put a sportster turnout pipe and rejetted mine.  Whole new bike.

Upgrade the air filter for even better response (suggest Lancer's performance one).  Muffler, air filter, white spacer mod, rejet...these puppies SCREAM when their opened up!  And cheap and easy to do (less than $150 for all that)

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #10 - 08/07/08 at 09:21:55

shadowman wrote on 08/07/08 at 09:03:59:
I just put a Dyna muffler on my bike Tuesday and I'm loving it -- not too noisy, looks good, no apparent loss of power compared to the old Supertrapp.  Bike runs OK now, which is to say that it was spotty before and still needs a lot of choke when cold and stumbles occasionally in mid-range. I have Lancer's kit and will do this soon, but have a question:  I think I recall seeing somewhere that there was a consensus as to how to re-jet for the Dyna muffler.  I can't find this -- can anyone direct me to that thread??   Thanks.

Links to carb tuning here (tech section): http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Did you rejet for the Supertrapp?  I'm thinking the Dyna muffler is more restrictive than the Supertrapp.  Check your plug where you are now to see if it's running lean or rich.  If it's stumbling, I'm thinking you may be rich.  If so, add a pod filter, or the cheap foam filter and that may fix it without a rejet.  If your lean, take it up one step at a time till your plugs look good and it's smooth through the throttle range.

For reference, I'm running 152/55 with Screaming Eagle Sportster Turnout Pipe and a Emco pod filter.  It's very unrestricted.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #11 - 08/07/08 at 13:30:54

I've only had the bike since April -- the PO put on the 'trapp and my guess is that he was more interested in making noise than performance.  I see no evidence that the carb has been opened up -- and I popped the air mixture screw plug, so I'm thinking that would have been the first step in modding for the 'trapp.  The Dyna is definitely more restrictive.  I will check out the thread and then get this done this weekend.  Thanks for info.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:27:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › installed harley muffler - need opinions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.