Send Topic Print
Shocks (Read 98 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Shocks
07/25/08 at 20:58:02

Is the seat going up & down working thru a sweeper as the front end sways left & right CAUSED by the front end swinging, or, is the road getting the rear end working a bit, changing the way the steering geometry "sees" the road, causing the left/right of the handlebars? I know I mentioned the front tire not being perfect, but to call it cupped is a bit of a stretch. It isnt visible, I had to run my fingers both ways to feel it. Its maybe 1/16th step from the rear edge of one rubber block to the front of the next. naaah,, not even 1/16th, a bit less.. AWW, Now Im gonna have to check it with the calipers.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Re: Shocks
Reply #1 - 07/25/08 at 23:52:26

I think it's rear end weave related. It's not only up and down movement, also side to side. Do you have a squared off rear tyre? If the center's worn a bit it causes some nice undulating weaves. Try some slight adjustments to rear tyre pressure to see if it affects the weave. At least then you'd know it's not the front tyre.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 07/26/08 at 06:15:16

This is the best wearing rear Ive had on. Its the Dunlop. It just hit 3,000 miles & is not at all squared off.( EDIT* Not true, Its less squared off than others at this mileage & less than I expected. Its not bad, Its about 1/2 of what Ive seen on it in the past, at 5,000 miles) It will be soon tho, cuz I am not gonna baby it. Im gonna go ahead & use it up hard & get a new tire, because the nail that gave me the flat kinda sliced/tore the ture a bit & I REally should tear it down & put patch with a plug in, but Im not up for the work & even that slight expense to save it. This has definitely been the best handling, best lasting rear. I have heard Metzler, Metzler, Metzler, so many times, I think Ill go that way next.

Ill mess with the pressure, thanks.. I guess I could pump it up a bit & go hit one, go back thru with lower pressure & see.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #3 - 07/26/08 at 10:07:36

I was just thinking if the rear had been squared, then slight pressure adjustments could have altered the tyre profile just a bit so the weave would've been different at different psi. Has it weaved all along or has it developed lately?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 07/26/08 at 12:43:35

i run my stock shocks at 4 with 5 being stiffest..even with the metz 880 anything less and the arse is a bit to squirrlie(sp?) for my taste..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/26/08 at 20:59:52

SV, I know this will sound dumb, but, here goes. I think it was almost without any sway in the front end with new tires, front & rear, but I really am not sure. Ill air them up & go play, taking a gauge along. The one main one is close to home, so Ill just run overe there & hit it a couple of times both ways, drop pressure on rear, make passes, see what she do,... play some more.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:28:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.