Send Topic Print
Soft Screws (Read 455 times)
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Soft Screws
07/24/08 at 20:14:23

So tonight I decided my project was to rejet my carb and while I'm at it, do the white spacer mod. I got the carb out without TOO much hassle. I then started to take out the phillips screws but they are so ridiculously soft that the heads stripped on all of them. I grabbed my channel-locks and got them all off that way. Then when I tried taking the screws off of the cap on top to do the white spacer mod, those ones stripped too. Again, used the channel-locks and got them off. Then I tried to take the two screws that hold the plate which keeps the white spacer in place. Those stripped too. Now I'm pretty sure that I can get the other 8 screws replaced fairly easily. But how am I supposed to get those two little buggers out?

I would like to think that I know how to handle a screwdriver (grew up on a farm after all) but I have never had this much trouble with phillips head bolts. It's aggravating!  Angry

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Soft Screws
Reply #1 - 07/24/08 at 20:25:43

How badly have you boogered the little ones? If you can get a pin punch to it, maybe you can drive the meat back to where it goes & get them loosened up a bit too. What tip did you use? A proper fit is essential. Theres more than 1 Phillips head.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Reply #2 - 07/24/08 at 20:31:34

well, they're not completely smooth yet, I can still get a little bit of a grip. I'm not sure what size phillips I used, it was a bigger one but it didn't slip as much as my next size smaller one so I went with it.

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 07/24/08 at 20:36:03

An impact driver will loosen screws without messing up the heads.

WWW   IP Logged
Brandon
YaBB Newbies

Wooo Hoo!! Did you
see that!!!

Montevallo, AL
Reply #4 - 07/24/08 at 20:45:09

Look up a drawing of the carb(can't find a link very quick right now sorry!) find these screw on it and get the size. I can't remember off hand what size they are. Then go to any industrial supply store and get that size in stainless socket head cap screws. That will save the trouble, as they will be far superior to the stock crap metal ones.

Representing the Savage Republic!!
bdsavage69   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/24/08 at 21:00:45

A small pin punch & a LIGHT hammer,( maybe an endwrench) using a quick, light tap, directing the raised edge back toward the slot, reshaping the slot, on all 4 edges that get pressure from the screwdriver tip during removal, then, as was stated, an impact driver with the right bit #, may just save yer bacon.

It's okay to stick a screw in a piece of junk & booger it up & practice first.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Reply #6 - 07/25/08 at 22:18:54

Ok, so I bought a few screw extracters (#1 and #2, just in case) Neither one of them worked so I decided to just skip the white spacer mod. I rinsed that piece out a few times in gas (to get any metal shards from trying to get those little buggers) and put it back together. Now, I'm all the way in on the brass idler screw with no change, I get out to about 1 and 3/4 and it starts dying. I put it back to 1 turn out and the backfire seems to have gone away. Is this setting ok or should I put a smaller jet in? I put the 152.5 one in.

I'll take it for a longer run to see if the backfire is completely gone yet or not.

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 07/25/08 at 23:05:00

Unless I missed something, which is entirely possible, you are monkeying with the wrong jet to help tune out backfiring.  You want to change your pilot jet if the screw isn't adjusting things enough to stop it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/25/08 at 23:12:55

Sandy,
I too buggered up the tiny screws. I wish I could tell you what size they were, but I can tell you I found the replacements only at ACE. I eventually, very carefully, drilled them out. Sweated bullets doing it too. Good luck.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Reply #9 - 07/26/08 at 08:30:43

I bought lancer's jetset and put both the 55 pilot jet and the 152.5 main jet in.

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 07/26/08 at 08:41:45

The first time I tried t open my carb I really buggered up the screws, ended up taking a small file and flat sided the screw heads. Then I was able to get in there on the flats with a small pair of channel lock pliers and get enough bite to loosen them. A small pair of vice grips will work if you can get a grip. Couldn't find replacement cap screws in stainless so just got regular steel at Ace Hardware.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 07/26/08 at 12:47:17

To make you fellers really happy, the Japanese do not use Phillips screws at all. They resemble Phillips screws, but are just different enough to evade the patents. That's why Phillips screwdrivers are not entirely satisfactory on Japanese machinery. I don't know what the Japanese call their version.

Edited to add: (I looked it up)
JIS  
Commonly found in Japanese equipment. Looks like a Phillips screw, but is designed not to cam out and will, therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight. Heads are usually identifiable by a single dot to one side of the cross slot. The standard number is JIS B 1012:1985 (End edit)

Most of the time, I use a Phillips screwdriver one size too large. That is, on a screw which would seem to need a #1 Phillips, a #2 works better. That seems to avoid stripping most of them, if the bit will fit into the hole. It may, or may not, work for you.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 07/26/08 at 12:58:48

Jap bikes have always had soft screws thats so they stay tight and don't vibrate loose

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/26/08 at 14:03:44

Will this mean that the Philip Head Screwdriver with the Tool-Kit work with the Jap version of Philip heads?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 07/26/08 at 14:15:32

That screwdriver works but its hard to get much leverage with it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:36:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Soft Screws

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.