Send Topic Print
Soft Screws (Read 455 times)
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Re: Soft Screws
Reply #30 - 08/02/08 at 07:51:14

Needle nose pliers won't reach. Dang near nothing reaches. I used a dremel with the flexible extension and a drill bit to drill the heads of the screws and then used a small easy out to break them loose. After the white spacer shave down I replaced them with 3mm screws from ace. Then used my compressor to blow out the filings and put it back together no problem.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
northshore_paul

Keep it
simple....less to
break!

South Louisiana
Reply #31 - 08/02/08 at 09:07:49

Thanks for the "how to"...now I know how to attack it. What really makes it difficult is the tight space you are working in...with no room for error otherwise I will have to retap the hole with the next larger size (4mm) and I don't know if there is enough metal there to do that, ugh !  Angry

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #32 - 08/09/08 at 21:45:33

Charon wrote on 07/26/08 at 12:47:17:
To make you fellers really happy, the Japanese do not use Phillips screws at all. They resemble Phillips screws, but are just different enough to evade the patents. That's why Phillips screwdrivers are not entirely satisfactory on Japanese machinery. I don't know what the Japanese call their version.

Edited to add: (I looked it up)
JIS  
Commonly found in Japanese equipment. Looks like a Phillips screw, but is designed not to cam out and will, therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight. Heads are usually identifiable by a single dot to one side of the cross slot. The standard number is JIS B 1012:1985 (End edit)

Most of the time, I use a Phillips screwdriver one size too large. That is, on a screw which would seem to need a #1 Phillips, a #2 works better. That seems to avoid stripping most of them, if the bit will fit into the hole. It may, or may not, work for you.

Here is the source I used a while back to get my JIS Phillips screwdrivers:

Ames

Good customer service!

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Soft Screws

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.