Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another Newbie saying Hi and lookin for advice (Read 197 times)
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Another Newbie saying Hi and lookin for advice
07/24/08 at 07:16:51

Greetings everyone, I just purchased a 97 Savage as my first bike and I'm loving it! This site is great and I intend to be here awhile. I have been doing some reading but would like to summarize some of it here.
So to all you experienced thumper riders... my ride is completely stock except for a tampered exhaust which the last owner drilled four holes in the end of the pipe. I plan to send it to my local mechanic in the next week or so to have the jet work done. I'm thinking the 152.5 main, #55 pilot and reducing the jet pin spacer to half thickness, am I on the right track?? Was also thinking about the KnN air filter too...is this recommended? Should I let the mechanic bring in the parts on his own or would it be better if I obtained them myself off ebay or the jet kit from Lance? Any other reccomendations or things to stay clear of? I am completely "green" when it comes to this so everyones help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
NewThumperGuy
SW Ontario Canada

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Another Newbie saying Hi and lookin for advice
Reply #1 - 07/24/08 at 08:07:04

I've heard of that tailpipe mod... You might be better off trying to find a used Dyna takeoff or similar muffler if you want any bit (small bit at most) of performance upgrade out of it.

Lancer sells the jetsets for a decent price (buy from him via the forums and save on the $4 shipping fee of his EBay store)... He also sells a performance air filter that compares to the K&N, except his doesn't need oiled.

I've got a Dyna muffler, a jetset and one of the Lancer filters all sitting in my basement waiting to be installed.

Welcome to the site. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 07/24/08 at 08:23:45

Thanks SimonTuffGuy,

What would a Dyna takeoff cost?
So Lancer's air filter is cleanable similar to the KnN but no oil needed?
I apparently need to get talking to Lancer here soon...so Lancer if you read this I would like some more info on your costs, payment options and shipping details to Ontario, Canada.
Want to hear from more of you.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 07/24/08 at 08:43:18

To answer your question of whether those modifications sound right, I think we would need to know why you are making them.  Is the bike not running properly, or are you just changing things for the sake of change?  

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 07/24/08 at 09:03:23

I paid $5 for my Dyna takeoff from another member on the board, plus shipping. They can be had off EBay for usually between $20 and 40 for a set (that'd be 2) and shipping.

The performance filter from Lancer is cleanable, just no oil is needed like the K&N ones.

Your best bet is to probably PM Lancer or post something in his FS thread (JETSETS) under the Marketplace forum.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 07/24/08 at 09:03:33

Well Sandy, currently my Savage runs great! No complaints! I just love this ride and want to do whatever I can to make her better. I figured I would start with eliminating the savage backfire to some degree and increase my mid range power. Again I am new to cruising and Savages so all tips, suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
NewThumperGuy

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #6 - 07/24/08 at 10:08:57

NewThumperGuy wrote on 07/24/08 at 09:03:33:
Well Sandy, currently my Savage runs great! No complaints! I just love this ride and want to do whatever I can to make her better. I figured I would start with eliminating the savage backfire to some degree and increase my mid range power. Again I am new to cruising and Savages so all tips, suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
NewThumperGuy

NewThumperGuy - I'm a fairly new Savage rider myself.  Started riding about 5 weeks ago.  At first I was a little frustrated by the backfire, but I have been experimenting with different ways of riding and have pretty much eliminated the backfiring just by adjusting the way I roll on/off the throttle.  Much less expensive than changing out a bunch of parts etc...   To each his own, and you can obviously do whatever you want to do.  Just wanted to let you know that the backfire can actually be avoided with just a little effort in throttling styles.  The key for me - simply don't completely roll off the throttle from high RPMs.  Instead roll down to about 1/4 throttle and then slowly roll off the last 1/4.   That's what works for me.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 07/24/08 at 10:18:38

NewThumperGuy wrote on 07/24/08 at 09:03:33:
Well Sandy, currently my Savage runs great! No complaints! I just love this ride and want to do whatever I can to make her better. I figured I would start with eliminating the savage backfire to some degree and increase my mid range power. Again I am new to cruising and Savages....

That sounds like you have other motorcycle experience -- track, dirt, sportbike?  Where are you coming from?  What sort of riding are you looking to do with your Savage?   Lets us know more of what you might expect from a motorcycle.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/24/08 at 10:31:34

Why pay for someone to do the work? Buying the tools will save the $$ & give you hands on experience. Tools are cheap & will be there to save you $$$ next time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #9 - 07/24/08 at 11:01:06

07S40rider wrote on 07/24/08 at 10:08:57:
The key for me - simply don't completely roll off the throttle from high RPMs.  Instead roll down to about 1/4 throttle and then slowly roll off the last 1/4.   That's what works for me.

I can control my backfires the same way.  In fact, I used them last night to tell the id10t on the phone in the BMW that I was next to him since he kept drifting into my lane.  Angry

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - 07/24/08 at 12:39:38

Thanks for the Dyna info SimonTuffGuy and I did PM Lancer.

07S40rider.. I have been playing with that also and I am aware of the reduction abilities with throttle work but would also like the mid range power increase that comes with the jet changes.

Paladin.. I do have past dirt experience from teen years on the farm but riding cruisers is a new experience for me. I ride to and from work, about half hour each way and plan to take the occassional longer cruise with the wife when I am fully licensed. Just want a cool, smooth running ride with some attitude!!

justin_o_guy2... I hear what you are saying but for the time being I do not have the time myself and would rather have a qualified tech handle the work and pick up what I can from him. The forums here are great and with all the help from everyone I know I could do myself but as stated earlier time is a problem.

sjaskow... Now that is the reason why I like the ability to bang one off on demand...ha ha ha.... Did you make him drop his phone? lol

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Keep them coming.
I am just another unique character lookin to make my bike my own and make it the best that it can be with the occassional mod or customization. I want to represent the Savage Brotherhood to the best of my abilities and raise the occassional eyebrow  Shocked

NewThumperGuy

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
twistedcreekfarm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Guilford, Indiana (Cincinnati)
Reply #11 - 07/24/08 at 17:23:04

I can control my backfires the same way.  In fact, I used them last night to tell the id10t on the phone in the BMW that I was next to him since he kept drifting into my lane.  Angry [/quote]

newer thumper here too- ride th ebike for a while before you start changing things... I love the backfire/horn idea!

I was kinda turned off of th ebackfire at first but as you have read can be controlled pretty easily by rolling off slow. I seldom have the backfire unless not paying attention or when the gas starts to run lo/out .... sure sing the tank needs to be turned to the reserve.

I have used the backfire to make some needed noise before too. kinda proud of the backfire actually.

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #12 - 07/24/08 at 19:48:10

Welcome, Newbies.  You'll all learn tons here.  I'm still learning.  If you're bikes running fine, I wouldn't worry about the carb mods just yet.  Unless you are dead set on playing around, which can be fun, of course.  On the other hand, this bike is so simple to work on that even I can handle it.  My only experience with engines was with my lawnmower as a teenager and the diesel generators we used for lights in Iraq Tongue.  

This bike is a ton of fun and the options are endless as you'll see, if you read through past posts.  And don't forget to check out The Cafe section.  Oh and buy a T-Shirt, too. Cool

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/24/08 at 21:46:07

Keep your eyes on the 'qualified tech'  Alot of times, some flunkie will handle the easy stuff and the qt doesn't even has his eyes on him.

The story went some one took his bike in for maybe a new front tire or the like work.  The flunkie comes out with a big hammer and a wrench and starts pounding on the axle bolt.  While the concerned owner pops his head out to see the dork wailing away, he shouts 'what the L are you doing?' the reply was the axle bolt stuck... did you loosen the pinch bolt?... pinch bolt?  Is that something new?

WWW   IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #14 - 07/25/08 at 06:47:08

Hey all,

twistedcreekfarm... thanks for your feedback, I was playing with that some more this morn on my way in to work.

HardCorps.. Thanks and I agree there is always more to learn. I have been eyeing up the T shirt..lol
I have not been to the Cafe yet but will check it out.

Verslagen1.. Whoa scary story. Fortunately alot of people talk highly of my local tech.  But I will be sure to keep a close eye on some of the work if/when I proceed with it.

Thanks again to all who have replied and I want you all to keep it coming.

Lancer did reccomend a betterflowing muffler and intake, carb re-jetting and a tune for sound and performance improvement. I think I will do some looking around for a new muffler to replace my drilled out stock muffler. Any recommendations from anyone on a cheaper muffler that will put out a nice low thump? I did listen to the sound clips and will be doing so again after this but I do enjoy everyones input so feel free all!  Grin

How many Savage riders out there have removed the gas tank decals? Thinking I may do this also due to the coloring not complimenting the color of the bike bike itself.

Any more advice out there for this 3rd week Thumper rider?
Lets here it!

NewThumperGuy

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:21:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Newbie saying Hi and lookin for advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.