Lost Circlip (Read 151 times)
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Lost Circlip
07/22/08 at 21:23:20

Ok so I found the topic where oksavage lost a penny in his oil pan but now I've got another sticky situation. I wish I had read about those dreaded holes a few hours ago! I was doing verslagens no oil loss cam adjuster replacement and everything went very smooth and quick(and I actually loss no oil whatsoever having the bike completely on it's side) BUT..I lost the circlip in that stupid oblong passageway that leads straight to neverland. Now I "think" it went in that hole because it didn't fall out of the case but I'm not positive. So has anyone dealt with this dilema yet? I've ran 2 quarts of clean oil through it and still found/see no circlip. Also, is the circlip obviously big enough to damage something if I can't find it or will it get picked up by a magnet somewhere (I'm assuming there is a magnetic bolt in that case somewhere) ? Thanks for any input. I really hope I don't have to pull the engine into pcs for a .96 cent piece of!!

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Lost Circlip
Reply #1 - 07/22/08 at 21:46:02

The circlip is probably magnetic (hopefully the passage is aluminium),...if you can't get a magnet down there, ....stick the magnet to the back end of a long skinny screwdriver or coathanger, even a heavy guitar string, whatever,... the tip-end will become slightly magnetic.  Maybe that will get it.  That way you can use a big old speaker magnet or something.
Good luck

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #2 - 07/22/08 at 21:48:44

Ya, I tried a little but I think the magnet wasn't strong enough. Might need to take the night off and mess with it tomorrow. Just don't know what to do if it isn't even in there or if I never find it..pull the case apart or throw it back together...hmm

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/22/08 at 21:53:41

If you have an air compressor. blow air down the hole,....or you can buy cans of compressed air from electronics stores...
or try the straw on the end of the vacuum cleaner that worked for o.k.savage..

as you can see...I have a lot of experience doin' stupid things,,,,

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/22/08 at 22:19:57

I guess going to write up directions...
step 1, immediately after removing the clutch cover, stuff raggs in every orifice that you don't expect to put your lips to.   Shocked  
That should keep your beer cans and girl friends safe.  

BTW: have spare circlips for just such an occasion.

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #5 - 07/22/08 at 22:59:05

I'll spend some time (hopefully not too much) tomorrow trying to locate that thing in there. Verslagen1, thanks for your help with my situation, I'll ship your part back to you tomorrow. Do I need to order some spare circlips from suzuki or is there a local retailer that sells something that works? Also, in your opinion how bad are things going to be if I can't locate that circlip in there? Thanks again

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/22/08 at 23:35:26

I got a few in case someone needed them, then of course someone said it was a standard metric part.  Just measure the od of the shaft in mm's and you should be able to find a part that matches.  measure the ring groove od too so you can measure the part to make sure it matches.  Just a standard external retainer ring, an E ring will do in a pinch, but not as secure.  let me know if you need one, $1.50 and it's in an envelope on it's way.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/23/08 at 00:26:14

NADA auto parts by my house had the right size circlip. I forget what it is but they're like 13 cents a peice. Buy one of each size that is even close and you still wont spend as much as ordering one from suzuki. I wouldnt send the Verslavy back just yet. You'll probably need it eventually and its money well spent.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #8 - 07/23/08 at 01:28:38

i'm pretty sure it was 8mm. when i replaced my cam chain, i bent mine. went back in and ended up losing the new one i had ordered(after i had already torn it apart) so i put it all back together with the bent one, which was still pretty tight, so its staying. found the new one a couple days later, was still in the little suzuki ziplock bag, had blown across the yard.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/23/08 at 09:06:47

BurnPgh wrote on 07/23/08 at 00:26:14:
I wouldnt send the Verslavy back just yet. You'll probably need it eventually and its money well spent.

He's talking about a loaner I sent him to use while I upgraded his.  It's a seriously over ground and I won't sell it.  But decided I could lend it out on a short term basis.  There's only one, but it's a big one.

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #10 - 07/23/08 at 11:36:06

I was just going to say that. Thanks for doing that for me, the loaner worked perfectly and kept me riding everyday..now if my clumsy hands didn't drop that little circlip I'd be riding today  Angry Great work though Verslagen, impressed by the turnaround time!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/23/08 at 17:39:43

You were lucky, I was just wondering what to do with it.

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #12 - 07/24/08 at 01:18:54

Just wanted to update that I found that little guy this morning and got it all back together in time to ride to work. Ended up laying the bike down on it's right side, draining a little bit more of the oil out, then back onto it's left side and draining what else would come out. Searched and searched with a flashlight until I saw the circlip hiding. Fabricated a circlip extracting tool out of a paperclip and waalaa! Verslagen..didn't get a chance to mail the loaner today as I ran out of time but it'll hit the mail tomorrow. Thanks

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #13 - 07/24/08 at 07:34:01

It would still be good to stock up on those odd little metric parts, though. My local ACE Hardware has a decent (not great) selection of metric bolts and fasteners.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:34:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lost Circlip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.