Choke ??? (Read 124 times)
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Choke ???
07/22/08 at 09:13:53

Hi,

just got the bike, it's 2008 used model with 1000 Kms on it - pretty much, looks like brand new. I'm also brand new to motorcycling so I don't have a point of reference (other with old experiences with the carburated cars).

My question is about how the choke should feel/react. These days it's rather hot around here, 25C-30C (say 80-ish F) in my garage. Bike starts fine without the choke. Yesterday I tried to start it with the choke and it started but with very low RPM ( thump, thump, thump), I'd say maybe one third of what it usually runs on idle. I pushed choke in after 10 seconds and it immediately started running (idling) normally. After a ride, during idling of warmed up engine, I pulled the choke out (just to see what would happen) and it just stalled. Pushed the choke in and it started normally.

So, is this how it should be, or there's something wrong wit the carb? Is there some special set up for the choke?

As mentioned earlier, I got it from the dealer, looks like new, brass plug is in place, does backfire from time to time (not that I'd be able to notice - just too scared with everything else that's going on while riding Smiley Smiley )

thks,

K

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Choke ???
Reply #1 - 07/22/08 at 10:26:27

Technically we don't have a choke, we have an enrichener. When you pulled the "choke" out what you did was allow more fuel in and it flooded, that's why you stalled out.

A choke cuts off the air for cold starts.
An enrichener just dumps more fuel in for cold starts.

Same principle, different methods.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/22/08 at 10:40:43

Good to know!  Wow!  I always seem to learn something new in this forum.   Cheesy

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 07/22/08 at 19:19:22

Yep, from what I've been able to discern by peering in there with my beady little eyes, pulling that knob just uncovers a hole right above the throttle plate.  Presumably, that hole is sort of a "jet" of its own, bypassing the pilot jet, or more accurately, supplementing it.

Staring at a carburetor while pulling levers and twisting knobs to see what they do is probably indicative of some dietary deficiency.  Maybe I need to eat more turnips or something?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/23/08 at 02:21:34

The choke does what the name implies, it "chokes" off the air, enrichening the fuel mix. What you're describing is normal, and sounds as though you don't need to use it under the conditions you're currently riding under.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 07/23/08 at 04:37:40

Unless you are running a different carburetor than the stock Mikuni, the "choke" does not restrict the flow of air.  It merely allows more gas in.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/23/08 at 05:03:48

There is no butterfly on the slide type carb, so, an enricher is used.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 07/23/08 at 05:16:15

+1 on it being (technically) an enrichener.

In warm weather, my savage would need at most a few seconds of enrichment and it would stall if it was completely warmed up in hot air with full enrichment. It would even start in pretty cold weather without enrichment, but it started better with a little added. It was tuned so that it didn't backfire - no modifications only stock (exhaust, intake and carb) components. I would say yours sounds like it is running about right - maybe someone already adjusted the carb. Just a tip with your engine tuned like it sounds it is (correct IMHO) keep your hand off the throttle when starting it warm - correct practice for a MC engine anyway but pretty important.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/23/08 at 06:52:55

Jay wrote on 07/23/08 at 02:21:34:
The choke does what the name implies, it "chokes" off the air, enrichening the fuel mix. What you're describing is normal, and sounds as though you don't need to use it under the conditions you're currently riding under.

OK, I go to the corner with the "dunce cap". Totally not correct on that one. Haven't I said before that I'm not the most mechanically inclined on this forum? And sleep deprived to boot! What was I thinking?

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:44:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Choke ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.