Too much air? (Read 71 times)
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Too much air?
07/22/08 at 08:43:28

OK, I have a mod in my mind that I have not seen here at all involving two K&N style round 2" air filters.... This would be more for show than for function because a lot of you have already done the good ideas...

I guess the question/ concern is; is there such a thing as too much air to the carb? Will the bike "take" only what it needs or can I ruin something flowing "a lot more" air into the carb?

Yes, re-jetting would be done as will a new muffler that is still be thought out... Header will be getting Jet-coat over the winter as my X-mas present.... Thank you Santa Claus Grin

Thought is that I should be ok as I would be flowing a lot more air out also, but I hate to ruin it after getting it so "pretty" just for something to look cool and new.......

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Too much air?
Reply #1 - 07/22/08 at 09:50:51

daweise1 wrote on 07/22/08 at 08:43:28:
OK, I have a mod in my mind that I have not seen here at all involving two K&N style round 2" air filters.... This would be more for show than for function because a lot of you have already done the good ideas...
I guess the question/ concern is; is there such a thing as too much air to the carb? Will the bike "take" only what it needs or can I ruin something flowing "a lot more" air into the carb?

Yes, re-jetting would be done as will a new muffler that is still be thought out... Header will be getting Jet-coat over the winter as my X-mas present.... Thank you Santa Claus Grin

Thought is that I should be ok as I would be flowing a lot more air out also, but I hate to ruin it after getting it so "pretty" just for something to look cool and new.......

The matter of 'Too much air' entering your carb involves consideration of many factors.

A carb's jets are sized by the factory to match the amount of air allowed into the carb by the restrictions of the stock filter/airbox design.  Change the filter or remove the airbox, and you may have to re-jet the carb to compensate for the additional air intake.

Also, automobile engineers found that an engine will run more efficiently if it's air cleaner housing is left on the carburetor.  Incoming turbulent air needs to be calmed down before it's entry into the mouth of the carburettor, and the shape of it's air cleaner housing is designed to do just that.  According to the famous race engine builder Smokey Yurnick's book, " Hot Rodding the Small Block Chevy", the air cleaner housing must not be changed to one different in dimensions from the stock unit, otherwise the turbulent air entering it will not be calmed correctly, thus disallowing optimum combustion efficiency.  

The bottom line is this:  No one can demonstrate that an engine achieves more horsepower or gets better MPG from a filter or airbox change, unless it is put on a dynamometer and the results compared.  There are far too many variables involved on the road, for someone to say he gets more H.P or better MPG without a dyno test.  Some of these variables are changing air and engine temperatures, constantly changing road surface conditions, constantly changing rpm of the engine, variance in the rider's shifting patterns, constantly changing resistance to wind conditions no matter how mild, variable weight of the motorcycle due to varying amounts of gas in the tank, etc, etc.  All of these variables will prejudice any results claimed by 'road testing' any motor vehicle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:29:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Too much air?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.