Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New 06 s40 - need a windshield (Read 208 times)
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
New 06 s40 - need a windshield
07/20/08 at 18:20:30

Hey everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself here. I just bought my first bike, an 06 s40. I took the MSF course and spent some time on craigslist before i chose this bike. I've loved it so far.
Anyways, I'm planning on doing some higher speed riding in the future (highway) and i currently have no windshield. Any suggestions. Obviously cost is a bit of a factor but I do want it to fit well with the bike. I'm 5'8" so it doesn't need to be really tall. Just something to cut down on the blast i'm taking at 70mph.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: New 06 s40 - need a windshield
Reply #1 - 07/20/08 at 18:24:56

The bigger it is the more protection you get,You get less tired when you don't have the wind pushing you around.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/20/08 at 18:40:04

If its not the right size you will suffer from buffeting on the helmet. Very tiresome. Its important to be able to see over it( so I hear, I am no expert) for rainy times, but not so much head poking up that you get tossed about.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #3 - 07/20/08 at 18:56:45

So is there a certain way i should measure to find the proper height?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 07/20/08 at 19:13:53

It is usually said you should be able to look over the top of the windshield. Sit normally on the motorcycle. You might slump just a little, to simulate having ridden for an hour or two. Have a helper place a yardstick on top of the headlight, and measure your line of sight above the headlight. That will give the approximate height of windshield you need. The windshield will "throw" the wind a bit above its height, keeping your head and helmet in the clear.

That's the way it is supposed to work. Your results may vary, and you may have to experiment to find what you like.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/20/08 at 19:14:47

I'm 5' 6" 20 inches above headlight works good for me

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/20/08 at 19:23:19

windshields don't have to sit on the headlight, so there is some adjustment.
also head buffeting is caused by the turbulence induced by the top of the windshield.  and there are 2 ways you can reduce it, in the winter, I raise my windshield.  In the summer, I lower it for more air thru the helmet.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 07/20/08 at 19:42:10

Congrats on your choice-obviously we aprove.  If you plan to ride through the Winter-say 30 far and above, a windscreen that protects the hands is great.  O have ythe Enterprise by Windjammer.  Most peope seem to opt for small - with Memphis Shades being fairly popular.    As you are a new rider, I wouldn't necessarily suggest riding when it gets too cold, ice is tough.  Still, even a 40 degree night ride home can be quite chilling.  Plenty of time to look around.

IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #8 - 07/20/08 at 19:55:49

I too am currently shopping for a windshield.  Take a look at this video.  If this is accurate, I can say that one thing I will be looking for is a polycarbonate instead of acrylic one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXwcgSYjws

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 07/20/08 at 21:06:16

cowspotter wrote on 07/20/08 at 18:20:30:
... planning on doing some higher speed riding in the future (highway) and i currently have no windshield. Any suggestions. .... I'm 5'8" .... Just something to cut down on the blast i'm taking at 70mph.

You have a WIDE range of options.  The minimalist approach is the National Cycle Flyscreen:

9" wide, 9" high, claimed to be for the Sportster but fits just fine.  It cuts down the blast, but that's all it does.  Still get wind in the face, bugs in the teeth, but the pressure on the body is reduced so that 70 mph is no effort at all.  This is my Summer windscreen.

On a long trip, hours and hours of wind in the face tends to cause windburn.  When the temperature drops you want to slap those icy fingers aside.  Hence my Touring/Winter windscreen, another National Cycle, this one is their Street Shield.  I'm also 5'8", 5'10" in my boots, and as you can see, this 17" tall shield is still well below eye level.  Even this small it does the job I ask of it, which is to keep the wind off the face/neck.  At highway speeds the wind ruffles my hair, but is out of my eyes -- can actually ride without any other eye protection.

They also make a Street Shield EX, an inch taller and 2.75" wider; and the Deflector 2" shorter and 1.5" skinnier.  The question you need to answer is how much wind you wish to give up.  The far end of the wind blocking is represented by the Wife's New Beetle.

WWW   IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #10 - 07/21/08 at 04:40:02

I've heard that the tip of the windshield should be at nose level and thats where mines set at. I don't even like speeds over 40MPH without the windshield on it, it's like night and day how much wind it blocks! It's a breeze (pun intended) to put on and remove and i took it off a couple days ago. Probably putting it back on today..
This is mine,
MEM4211 Memphis Shades Memphis Slim 17" Black Windshield $154.95
MEM9909 Memphis Shades Memphis Shades Hardware Kit $108.95

Look in my sig at the photo album to see how it looks on the bike, The windshield was put on by the previous owner..

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #11 - 07/21/08 at 05:57:27

In response to an earlier post, if you settle on a Slipstreamer Spitfire, it DOES need to sit on the headlight to keep it from flapping in the wind.  This is due to its single-point mounting system, which is not described in the Dennis Kirk ad. Angry

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #12 - 07/21/08 at 06:43:30

I'm leaning towards the national cycle deflector dx. I think that'll give me the protection i'm looking for while still giving me a look i like.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 07/21/08 at 07:20:39

I would suggest riding your Savage at least a thousand miles before you add a windscreen to the Savage, or do any other major modifications. Be aware that putting a windscreen on a Savage is going to affect handling, especially if you ride in a cross wind. Windscreens that turn with the forks feel considerably different that the ones that stay straight when the wheel turns.

As far as windshield height, I look a couple of inches over mine. It has a formed lip, so it throws the air up more, but from what I understand it also increases the chance of buffeting depending on your height and helmet. Since it doesn't buffet for me, I don't worry about it and can't verify the problem. At something over 80 mph, I hit a "sweet spot" where it's almost like riding in an air bubble.

IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #14 - 07/21/08 at 07:34:53

cowspotter wrote on 07/21/08 at 06:43:30:
I'm leaning towards the national cycle deflector dx. I think that'll give me the protection i'm looking for while still giving me a look i like.

I was unable to get the Deflector DX to fit on an S40...

See this thread from last spring:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1205338797/9#9

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:22:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New 06 s40 - need a windshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.