Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Left Lights On... Dead Battery (Read 227 times)
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Left Lights On... Dead Battery
07/20/08 at 16:11:44

So after getting home this afternoon, I left the key in the "on" position and came back to my bike with a dead battery; almost no headlight dead!

I searched the forums to see if anyone had outlined a good procedure for jumping the bike, but came up empty... So I went at it. Removed the seat, removed the tool kit cover and pulled the battery out a little bit to gain access to the positive terminal.

I put on my little battery jumper and was able to start the bike, left it sit charging for a few moments and then took the bike out for a spin so that it wouldn't overheat just sitting there idling and charging.

Seemed to work ok... But there HAS to be an easier way to jump this thing than to remove a bunch of panels.

What's the trick? Just incase I go to start this thing in the morning, I don't want to have to go through all that if there's an easier way, or if there's a "jump wire" hiding somewhere on me.

One last thing... When I went around on town after putting everything together, it seemed almost like I had a new rattle. I couldn't put my foot on it, because it was raining/drizzling out and I have that dreaded speedo rattle to add to things. When I put the battery back in the box (I pulled it out... an inch maybe? Just enough to gain access to the positive terminal) I just pushed it back in the box as far as it would go... Put the cover back on the side (right side if you're sitting on the bike) and put the tool cover back on. There isn't some sort of clip on the bottom of the battery that I missed or anything, is there?

Thanks guys... What a dumb move on my part for letting the keys hang on the bike... And then to have them ON! Blah!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Left Lights On... Dead Battery
Reply #1 - 07/20/08 at 16:39:39

i think the only easy way, is to leave the panels off. at least the top one anyway. or just dont let the battery go dead,lol.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/20/08 at 16:48:44

I got a charge on mine w/o much hassle.Seems the + side is accessable with a small clip & the - is somewhere on the frame.  Maybe a small jumper to go from your charger to the battery? Clip your charger onto a wire with a small enough alligator clip that will reach down thru the top of the battery box & clip on the + side & then hunt up a spot on the frame for - to hook on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #3 - 07/20/08 at 17:02:56

I bought a pig-tail connector and attached it to the positive and negative terminals on the battery.  That way, all I had to do is plug it into my charger.

Funny that you did that.  I did the same thing on the 11th.  Went to a picnic.  Went to leave 3 hours later and realized my keys were missing.  Went out to the bike and there they were.  Battery dead as a door nail.

You can jump start the bike without pulling the battery.

Put the transmission into second gear. Turn the petcock to PRI and turn the key to on.  Make sure the kill switch is not on either.  Pull in the clutch and either run (not fun) or get on and coast it down a hill.  When you reach ~5-10mph, pop the clutch.  The sudden application of torque will turn the engine over for you.  If you have the carb tuned right, it should catch right away.

You'll want to ride it (and keep it idling) for at least 40 minutes after jump starting the bike.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 07/20/08 at 17:03:31

I use a long shank phillips screwdriver with a plastic sleeve over the Shank, I can ease it down on the + terminal w/o arc and sparks. I usually use a booster pak and ground can go anywhere on the engine where it won't matter if it scratches with the clamp jaw teeth. Booster + goes on the bolster just below the SD handle and with some help I can get her running. Just remember if it is flat dead the engine charging system is designed to maintain the battery charge not recharge it from dead. Each time you do this it may (may is the operative word) stress the charging system parts and lead to immediate or premature failure. Best plan is to use a charger to recharge the battery if it is flat, if you do this often install the adapter cables that go under the battery cable bolts that run out to an insulated, indexed SAE connection for the charger leads. These leads are not sized large enough for jumping, just charging.  I guess you could make a set using 8 ga. wire have an appropriate spot for jumping if needed that would also work for charging. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 07/20/08 at 17:29:15

Thanks for the replies everyone. I gave up for the night and I'm going to mess with it before work tomorrow. I may just let the the charger sit on it while I'm at work.

If nothing else, I guess it'll be a good reason to upgrade to one of those Big Cranks I've been reading about. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 07/20/08 at 18:05:33

You can charge battery without taking it out put red on the battery and black on the motor fin.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 07/20/08 at 18:28:27

Im a king with dead batteries in my short 10 months of ownership.  I've killed two. The first one died the first day.  Second one lasted two or so months before eventually succumbing to my negligence.

Any time a battery shows signs of low charge, do yourself a favor: either take it to an autozone (they will charge it for free in 24 hours) or get yourself a charger and juice it up all the way.  When a battery sits with low charge, the plates inside sulficate and become useless.  A dead battery neglected will quickly become dead for good.  And because motorcycle alternators are generally crappy relative to those on cars, bump-starting should only be an option for getting home, not re-charging.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #8 - 07/21/08 at 03:29:08

2 ways to charge her up, 1 install a pigtail on the battery for future charging ( the $20.00 motorcycle charger/maintainer at walmart comes with one)
Or 2, Take the seat off and locate the wire that comes from the battery and strip off a little of the plastic to get to the copper center and clamp on. Be careful you dont let the clip touch anything metal. For the ground side just clip it to anything metal on the bike.

I've killed my battery when i was playing with a aux driving light. I did the under the seat charge up and it worked fine, then i bought the $20. charger at wally.
Also I couldn't get mine to push start when the engine was cold.. Got her rollin and dumped the clutch in 2nd gear and left a 2 ft skid mark..  Grin

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #9 - 07/21/08 at 07:37:24

A friend of my dad's brought over his battery charger/maintainer this morning and I put it on the battery. It showed "charging" for about 20 minutes, but then kicked over to the error, like the battery is bad.

He said it's a little 1.5 amp maintainer that he uses over the winter, but that it'd do the trick to charge the battery.

So, I took it off and the bike would start up. It didn't do that yesterday once the jumper was off... Should I worry about it? And just go ahead and order one of the Big Crank batteries? or... Drive it around for a day or so in town to make sure that it's going to continue working?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/21/08 at 08:29:10

Depends... can you push start it?   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #11 - 07/21/08 at 08:43:22

Haha... I'm sure I could! :-P

Maybe I'll just get the battery and be safe. Can someone here confirm that the battery listed under the LS650-Savage (all) from Big Crank works for the S40 as well? Their site says 86 - 02 models... But I don't think anything changed between the models really.

I've got an e-mail into them, but I'd like to order now to have it shipped today yet.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/21/08 at 09:06:39

bikebandit shows the same battery between the 2000 and 2008.

BTW: I have one of those retractable cable clips on the keys and I either have it attached to the bag or my belt.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/21/08 at 10:47:38

A new battery is so much better than being stranded. Push starting is hard & if you dont have a downhill run, its way tuff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #14 - 07/21/08 at 10:48:10

I ordered a charger/maintainer from Big Crank along with my battery. It includes a set of cables that'll mount on the battery and I can keep it tucked up under the seat for next time (which hopefully won't happen!)

They're listed in WV, so hopefully I'll have the thing by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest (if they fulfil the orders like the site said).

Thanks for the help everyone.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 11:24:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Left Lights On... Dead Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!