Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clutch & brakes & Backfire (Read 104 times)
Robs03savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Riverside CA
clutch & brakes & Backfire
07/19/08 at 11:18:12

I was wondering if I could get anyhelp with these 3 things that I'ma having problems with. Does anybody else have trouble getting there clutch to get into first when its in nuetral.. i sit there at the stop sign and when the light turns green i try to kick it to first but it doesnt work it seems i have to kick it just right to get it into first .. also ive replaces the gear shift linkage one when it snapper and now the rod is bent.. brakes .. well i just need new front brake pads so i was just wondering where is a good place to get them.. Backfiring.. the bike backfires every so often .. whats up with that?? oh and if anyone want to buy this bike let me know too 03 savage less than 4k asking 2000  Cool

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: clutch & brakes & Backfire
Reply #1 - 07/19/08 at 12:42:23

Sounds like the clutch is not adjusted correctly or the cable is starting to part strands and acting like it is stretching, You must really be kicking it into gear of you are bending the shift rod. EBC makes a couple types of brake pads and the Savage fitment means there may be some in stock in a store near you. I've used both the Green and Red painted versions with success. Backfiring is a special feature of the Savage and there are literally thousands of words written on this site on how to fix it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/19/08 at 13:46:28

Sitting at a light, in neutral, clutch pulled in? That allows all the tranny internals to stop, so, dropping into gear can be a test. Let the clutch out a touch, pull in, step on the shifter. If that doesnt work, clutch is wrongly adjusted. No reason to sell the bike, learn it. Its a good ride, OR for 20+ years Suzuki has been suckering us into buying a piece of crap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 07/19/08 at 14:00:23

Agree with Justin.  Try letting the lever out while in neutral to spin up the gears.   Then pull the lever and try to go into 1st.   Should work.

THe Tranny is a bit old school.  Constant mesh , yes, but all straight gears.

Other choice is to go into first as you come to a stop.  Just hold the lever in.  That way if an emergncy happens you can get out of the way quickly....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #4 - 07/19/08 at 14:44:22

I am with them. I know the lights I get stuck at for extended periods, so I sit in neutral. then when the light turns green I clutch and tap if it does not go I clutch and tap again and away I go.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #5 - 07/20/08 at 10:49:11

I think we all have the issue with the tranny sometimes being stubborn and not wanting to go in gear. Whenever it doesnt want to go into gear let out the clutch just enough to make it cause friction and spin the gears then pull the clutch back in and it'll shift every time.
At a light in neutral, let out the clutch while you wait, when your ready to go, squeeze in the clutch, tap it into first and go.. If you sit with the clutch pulled in for more than a few seconds it'll be difficult to find a gear sometimes..
On my 05 even when i down shift say from 4th to 3rd.. if i linger and have the clutch in too long, it wont shift.. untill i let out the clutch to make the tranny spin again...

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #6 - 07/20/08 at 11:29:14

All of the advice is good.  I tend to shift down thru the gears as I'm slowing, blurping the throttle up enough to match the revs so I don't make the clutch plates bring the engine up to speed for each lower gear.  Saves a lot of clutch wear.

I shift into first just before coming to a stop.  Sitting at a light in nuetral allows you NO quick getaway in case you see you're about to be rear ended by some fool behind you who's not paying attention.  You are "checking your six" as you sit at a light, aren't you?

Also, you can eliminate lots of the backfire when decelerating by not coming completely off the throttle to idle setting - just roll off throttle, allow the bike to slow, but keep just a tad of open throttle.  You'll also find that the little bit of open throttle is enough to match the revs as you pull in the clutch to shift to the next lower gear while decelerating.  Engine rpm will increase as the clutch lever is pulled, and that's what you want to match the revs for the next lower gear.   You have to think ahead a little, and start slowing just a little earlier than you would if you back the throttle completely off, but presto - no backfire.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:18:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › clutch & brakes & Backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.