Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery Compatibility for the savage (Read 138 times)
Wagslick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery Compatibility for the savage
07/19/08 at 07:40:11

I've got a 2003 savage and I'm having some battery problems. I head out to find a new battery but NO ONE has the same kind of battery I took out of the bike. I took out a MB14L-B2. Anyone know what that translates to in other battery brands or even better yet, what are some batteries that are compatible with my bike? What kind do you have? Thanks for the help! Keep riding!

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Battery Compatibility for the savage
Reply #1 - 07/19/08 at 08:09:58

Get a sealed gel battery. No need to refill it. I have a big crank (and I'm not just bragging). Only kidding, the Big Crank is the way to go. This is where I got mine online http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX15L-Battery.html

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 07/19/08 at 08:27:05

There was a time you could pick up a far eastern YL14B-B2 lead acid battery for $14.99 on the net (with shipping costing about $6-7).

No more, them times are long past -- lead acid batteries cost a lot more and shipping costs a lot more too.

Go to Walmart for the best deal on a lead acid battery.  Or buy the bigcrank and have it shipped to your house.

Batteries ain't cheap no more.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 07/19/08 at 08:43:55

I'm going to pick one(lead acid) up at a local Auto parts store for $33.00

Not a bad price for a battery.I didnt think so,that is.

Will get the Big Crank when that one dies Wink

Plus if I have any problems with it,they will be close by Smiley

(also,I told them what type bike I have and they looked up the size battery for it)

But...now I'm curious,how long does it take to get one(big crank) if you order it?
And couldnt the Auto store order it for you,and you could go back to them if problems with it?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 07/19/08 at 08:54:37

Wagslick wrote on 07/19/08 at 07:40:11:
I've got a 2003 savage and I'm having some battery problems. ...
four-five years off a standard battery is good.  Battery technology has progressed a bit past the standard flooded lead-acid battery.  They have "sealed" batteries that you don't have to keep checking acid level on, and gel cells that are even better, and the latest and greatest "absorbed glass mat" technology.  This last one has a much lower self-discharge rate, so you can park the bike in September and start it in April without needing a battery tender/charger.  The glass mat between the plates proofs it against vibration.  The absorbed nature means even if you break it it will not spew acid -- hence may be shipped filled and charged.  You order the Big Crank, it arrives, you put it in the bike and GO!!  If you don't mind a slightly off-sized battery the Odyssey is a Mil-Spec AGM battery.

I have a Big Crank also.  Went to ride to work one morning last week and when I opened the garage I noticed my tail lights (plural, not typo) were on -- I had left the key in the "park with lights on" position.  Started spun normally, no apparent drain from the low wattage (no headlight) park lights be left on for 10 hours.

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 07/19/08 at 09:14:25

My old battery lasted 3 years.

There is a number on it,I called the company to find out what year it was made,due to the fact that it was in my bike when I bought it used.
(the number tells them what year)

It was a sealed battery....Yeusa...that may be mispelled Undecided

IP Logged
Wagslick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/19/08 at 10:16:14

Thanks for the advice. I checked out Walmart and Autozone and Advanced Auto. They cant find batteries like the XT14L-B2 like I have now. They do have the exact same thing, but the little vent  hose is on the wrong side which prevents it from fitting into the Savage. The batteries that have the vent hose on the correct side have the negative and positive terminals mixed up.

Sounds like you fellas like those Big Crank batteries. Maybe I'll just get one of those. Any store stock those? I just feel like i'm getting ripped off with shipping even though I know they're heavy.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #7 - 07/19/08 at 11:11:41

I believe I got my battery from Advance Auto.  It is a sealed battery so no vent hose.  I think I paid around 60-ish for mine.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 07/19/08 at 14:03:14

Wagslick wrote on 07/19/08 at 10:16:14:
...Sounds like you fellas like those Big Crank batteries. Maybe I'll just get one of those. Any store stock those? I just feel like i'm getting ripped off with shipping even though I know they're heavy.

Joe Fossil, running his brick and mortar, keeps one Savage sized battery in stock, as he only sells two or three a year.  When he sells one he orders a replacement.  He does not get a volume discount from the distributor.  The cost to ship the replacement to him is added to the retail price of the battery.

The big on-line battery store sells more in a day than Joe Fossil sells in a year.  He buys them by the pallet-load, getting a large discount from the manufacturer and saving considerably on the shipment in.  He is a high volume shipper out and gets a steep discount from the shipping company.

Result?  The on-line battery is better (hasn't been sitting on a shelf for months) and cheaper, even including shipping.

WWW   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/19/08 at 19:56:48

just got a big crank, $66 to my door.  its worth it for better battery and saving a trip.  

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 07/19/08 at 20:16:01

buttgoat1 wrote on 07/19/08 at 19:56:48:
just got a big crank, $66 to my door.  its worth it for better battery and saving a trip.  

How long did it take you to get it?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/19/08 at 20:17:24

About 69 years

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/20/08 at 04:47:55

2 days, order processed on 2nd day, and arrived the day after that, UPS ground.  The good thing for me is that the battery mart is only about 200 miles away, well within a 1 day ship time for UPS.  I don't know how north GA fits in the UPS shipping chart, maybe another day at best.

your mileage may vary.... from Winchester VA.

My old 1 wasn't dead yet, just weak in the am, now its in my daughters 4 wheeler, which has carb issues (sigh)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:27:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Compatibility for the savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.