Send Topic Print
Top end knocks (Read 148 times)
KarinB.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Top end knocks
07/19/08 at 05:08:31

I have a 86 LS650, the top end seems to have a very loud knock in it. we had the valves and decompression done,it didnt soften the noise much,we are now having the cam and valves replaced, the cam chain and tensioner we were told was replaced by individual we bought bike off of. now if the noise is still there,is there anyone that would know what it could be with out us having the whole engine rebuilt? It has lots of power and snap even before we had anything done to it. oil and oil filter and air filter was also changed. I really need some input on this problem. thanks K.B. Sad

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Top end knocks
Reply #1 - 07/22/08 at 14:27:11

KarinB. wrote on 07/19/08 at 05:08:31:
I have a 86 LS650, the top end seems to have a very loud knock in it. we had the valves and decompression done,it didnt soften the noise much,we are now having the cam and valves replaced, the cam chain and tensioner we were told was replaced by individual we bought bike off of. now if the noise is still there,is there anyone that would know what it could be with out us having the whole engine rebuilt? It has lots of power and snap even before we had anything done to it. oil and oil filter and air filter was also changed. I really need some input on this problem. thanks K.B. Sad

KarinB,
 This should be in the Rubberside.  

What you are having done should end the knock.  Also, you may to  check for exhaust leaks.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/19/09 at 10:45:44

Hey Karin, did you ever resolve the knocking?

Here's what I found with another knock...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1228237514

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/19/09 at 14:24:00

You didn't say how many miles on it or how the previous owner took care of and rode it.
Withthe engine running and warm, put it in second or third gear and holt tight on the front and rear brakes.  EASE out the clutch while slightly revving the engine. If the knock is obvious, I would suspect lower end rod bearings, main bearings or even wrist pin bushing.  If it is a lighter whacking sound, I would suspect piston slap from wear.
Any knock is reason for suspicions, Just like the salesman at your door.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/19/09 at 15:11:25

I dont understand how cam & or valves would create a knock. if properly adjusted, they should be fine, noise wise. If the cam is creating a knock, I would think the head must be shot from oil starvation. I'd sure hate to be spending all that $$$ in hopes of solving the problem. Seems a teardown to find the problem & fix that would be better than just randomly replacing parts that might cause the knock.If the valves & cam dont solve it, then another teardown, deeper in, to get to the piston or even lower bearings will be required.
How many miles on this thing? What kind of oil has been in it? How many miles on it when the cam chain was replaced? How did the P/O take care of it?
One way to get a clue as to how it was cared for is how quickly new oil gets dirty. If the PO didnt change it regularly, the innards will be nasty & new oil will get dirty quickly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:14:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top end knocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.