Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lights come on but starter won't turn (Read 224 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Lights come on but starter won't turn
Reply #15 - 07/18/08 at 18:51:00

Loose or corroded connection(s) ?? Either battery, ground, solenoid connections or stater motor connections. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #16 - 07/18/08 at 19:45:46

When I'm trouble shooting bikes,  I grab my trolling motor battery from the boat.  It doesn't have the big amps like a car battery but it can go a long time.

Hmmmmm ...  I sound almost like ReelThing ....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/19/08 at 00:34:31

Just turning over isnt good enough. If turning it over draws the voltage too low, the ignition wont fire right. I bet you need a battery. I'd hook a jumper up & get the starter some juice, or maybe, just haul that battery in for a good test in town.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #18 - 07/19/08 at 06:46:57

Depending on the year, the lights are supposed to die. That is supposed to reduce the load on the battery while the starter is running. Motorcycles are somewhat weight and space limited. Batteries are bulky and heavy. So, motorcycles tend to have batteries that are already marginal even when new.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/19/08 at 08:57:42

I'd call that a right sharp observation. One of those" I knew that, just never thought it out loud"deals. Thats a great explanation.
The Big Crank is a real good replacement.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #20 - 07/19/08 at 12:00:00

Yeah, I do believe my battery is fubar. I just tried it again and it ALMOST fired but not enough to catch. It can barely get the starter to crank past the compression stroke and I have had the charger on a slow trickle charge all night.

So, new battery is in order.

Not surprising with as many times as I killed it and had to re-charge in such a short time.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #21 - 07/19/08 at 12:18:07

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/19/08 at 12:00:00:
Yeah, I do believe my battery is fubar. I just tried it again and it ALMOST fired but not enough to catch. It can barely get the starter to crank past the compression stroke and I have had the charger on a slow trickle charge all night.

So, new battery is in order.

Not surprising with as many times as I killed it and had to re-charge in such a short time.

I had problems with my "new to me" 2001. It started very easily when I first got it, then I killed the battery a couple of times getting used to the key location and that worthless "parking light" feature. The bike would still crank smartly but was very hard to start. Finally the battery did me a favor and just kicked the bucket.

I put in a new battery and the lady immediately returned to her former faultless behavior.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #22 - 07/19/08 at 13:05:15

If the stories are true, you can thank California for the "worthless parking light feature". The story has it that California in its infinite wisdom decided motorcycles, like cars, should be able to be parked with a light turned on for the benefit of other road users. The requirement was that the light should be able to stay lit for a minimum of a half hour. The only way to meet that requirement was a battery and some sort of charging system. Once those were in place it was an easy matter for the makers to add electric start and electric or electronic ignition instead of magnetos. So, indirectly, that "worthless parking light feature" probably led to electronic ignition and electric starters for motorcycles.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #23 - 07/19/08 at 19:42:20

Charon wrote on 07/19/08 at 13:05:15:
If the stories are true, you can thank California for the "worthless parking light feature". The story has it that California in its infinite wisdom decided motorcycles, like cars, should be able to be parked with a light turned on for the benefit of other road users. The requirement was that the light should be able to stay lit for a minimum of a half hour. The only way to meet that requirement was a battery and some sort of charging system. Once those were in place it was an easy matter for the makers to add electric start and electric or electronic ignition instead of magnetos. So, indirectly, that "worthless parking light feature" probably led to electronic ignition and electric starters for motorcycles.

Well, "California" and "Worthless" do tend to go together.

Of course, I'm predjudiced since I'm from Oregon. I think that I was twelve years old before I figured out that "darnedcalifornia" was supposed to be two words.  Grin

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #24 - 07/21/08 at 14:56:08

I think I have a wire grounding me out somewhere. It was cranking fine for a while there then suddenly I hit the switch and all power is gone, no lights or anything.

I just bought me an AGM battery. Not a Bigcrank, but one called a Supercrank by Exide.

Going to inspect my wire harness then put in the new batt and see what happens.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:21:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lights come on but starter won't turn

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.