Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New muffler causing major backfires! (Read 255 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: New muffler causing major backfires!
Reply #15 - 07/18/08 at 19:37:41

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 07/18/08 at 15:02:39:
Lancer, regarding the "where you live" portion of your post...  

I realize it isn't an exact science, but take a guess at how much change in altitude is needed to start noticing a difference in how the bike runs.  500 feet?  5000 feet?  I'm planning a trip this weekend that could take me from altitudes of 1500 feet to 7000 feet.  Just wondering what effect this will have on the bike.  I'm already running rich and can't seem to cure the problem.  I'm afraid if I get way up in the mountains, I may have to pull over and put in a smaller pilot jet.  That would be a pain.

The basic rule of thumb for altitude changes is that for every 3-4000' of change there should be a 1 jets size change to compensate.  That does not mean that the engine will not run adequately, and some are more forgiving than others, but that is the guide.
If you ARE running rich now then you should consider getting the jetting sorted out before going higher where the thinner air will richen the mix for you even more.

IP Logged
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Reply #16 - 07/24/08 at 12:43:42

I have a bit of a leak between the header and muffler, what's the best way to get rid of that? I have a strip from a pop can in there now and that's about all I can fit in there.

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #17 - 07/24/08 at 12:50:20

my aluminum can practically melted.  my stock muffler had exhaust wrap between the header and muffler.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #18 - 07/24/08 at 12:59:13

In my experience the answer is to have a muffler shop make you an adapter to connect whatever muffler you have to the Savage head pipe. You can either use the stock sleeve gasket that goes between the muffler and pipe or clamp directly to the head pipe w/o the sleeve gasket using a different size clamp. Take both pieces into a shop and they usually have a cut off pice of 1 -3/4 pipe about 6-7" long laying around they can swedge one end to fit the muffler if needed, shrink the other end to fit the header w/o gasket or swedge it to fit the gasket  and put a slight bend in it so the exhaust doesn't blast the rear brake bracket. I've paid both $10 and $20 for them depends on the shop and if the they are cycle friendly. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:22:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New muffler causing major backfires!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.