Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New muffler causing major backfires! (Read 255 times)
S40Man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New muffler causing major backfires!
07/18/08 at 07:42:34

Like a lot of us I just had to upgrade my muffler.  The stock one is just too quiet for me.  I bought one of those HD Dyna conversion kits for my S40.  The installation was pretty simple and it sounds great but it backfires really bad.  I checked for leaks but can't find any.  It sounds and smells like it's running too rich.  Has anyone gone through this?  If so, what did you do to make it stop back firing?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New muffler causing major backfires!
Reply #1 - 07/18/08 at 08:32:22

when and how does it backfire?
at shut down
gear shifts
engine braking
is it a poof or a pop or a KAPOW?   Shocked

backfires are usually cause it's lean or exhaust leak.

I got a supertrapp that's so tight... (how tight is it) it refuses to backfire even when the idle screw is completely closed off.  On shut down I get a little poof, on engine braking I get a nice gurgle and an ocasional pop on upshift.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/18/08 at 08:53:54

I'm new to Savages/S40 and I keep reading about the HD Dyna mufflers.  It seems that they add a nice sound to the bike but where do you get these kits from?  I'm interested in adding a better sounding muffler and would like to know where to get one from?  Thanks!

IP Logged
S40Man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/18/08 at 09:12:16

I got mine off Ebay.  The sound difference is night and day.  My bike finally sounds like a real bike.  As far as the back fire sound it sounds like a lound POP!!  Every time I lay off the throttle or decelarate.  At first it was fun to scare little children in the neighborhood with the loud backfire but now it's just annoying.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/18/08 at 09:36:31

When ever my stock muff popped it was a loose header, check that.

If tight, adjust your idle mixture richer, 1/8 turn CCW.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/18/08 at 11:59:39

maybe someone mentioned this already. Have you tried rejetting? I used a stage one dyno jet kit. Fixed my leak and put the 146 main jet it. Presto, sometimes a pop on shut down, the rare crack on upshift.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #6 - 07/18/08 at 12:06:03

Any pics of the install? I've got a Dyna sitting in my basement awaiting install... Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
S40Man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/18/08 at 14:13:10

That was my next step.  I see a lot of different "High Performance" jets out there.  Some say Stage (or Level) I, II, III.  What does that mean and what should I get?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 07/18/08 at 14:51:30

the fella selling those jet sets starts with a small jet for stage 1 and then goes up to the next larger main jet for stage 2, then larger jet for stage 3.

If you know exactly what size jet you need then it may be ok, but in most cases when you go through the jetting & tuning process you do not know exactly where you will end up.  Depending on the air filter/intake used and which muffler you have, and where you live, even each engine is slightly different, all that affects what each specific engine will need jetting wise.  
Point is, you don't know what you will need until you get there.  That is why I think it is necessary to have several main jets when the process is begun.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 07/18/08 at 15:02:39

Lancer, regarding the "where you live" portion of your post...  

I realize it isn't an exact science, but take a guess at how much change in altitude is needed to start noticing a difference in how the bike runs.  500 feet?  5000 feet?  I'm planning a trip this weekend that could take me from altitudes of 1500 feet to 7000 feet.  Just wondering what effect this will have on the bike.  I'm already running rich and can't seem to cure the problem.  I'm afraid if I get way up in the mountains, I may have to pull over and put in a smaller pilot jet.  That would be a pain.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
S40Man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/18/08 at 15:04:28

OK.  Thanks for the info.  I'll start with a Stage I jet and go from there.  I'll let you know how it goes.

IP Logged
S40Man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/18/08 at 15:17:50

One last question.  Where exactly is the idle mixture located?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #12 - 07/18/08 at 15:27:22

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 07/18/08 at 15:38:26

On topic, I'd vote for an air leak at the head to head pipe or head pipe to muffler as this allows air (with 20.8 % oxygen usually) in the system and burn rapidly (very rapidly) any fuel left there from the closed throttle or shut off ignition.  On altitude re-jet ? I've run mine from sea level to over a 9000 ft pass and it is set for 1200 ft which is the altitude where we live. It ran a little lean in Seattle area and I'm sure rich over the pass, but just kept on thumpin' in the snow in July. Years ago when I went to Auto Tech school in Klamath Falls OR, we used the 5000 ft altitude there as the cut point to rejet, we did many cars in the Tune-Up class using a chassis dyno to verify we didn't go too lean, this was before the days of Emission controls except for a PCV valve. Modern stuff, cars truck and now bikes with Fuel injection and O2 sensors check the barometric pressure on start up and at specified RPM, throttle setting, & load, check it again to use a different look up table in the computer to correct the A/F ratio on the fly. The O2 sensor(s) fine tune it from there like the scales of justice, out of balance lean add a little more injector on time, a little rich cut them back by a couple ms (milla-seconds) always varying so little you cannot feel it in the operation of the rig, but observable with a DVOM on the O2 sensor, GMM (graphing Multimeter), or scanner. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #14 - 07/18/08 at 15:41:55

Good to know.  Thanks, Max.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:13:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New muffler causing major backfires!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.