Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is chrome? Or: Did this eBay seller screw me? (Read 270 times)
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
What is chrome? Or: Did this eBay seller screw me?
07/18/08 at 05:54:39

Hi all,

I bought these turn signals from an eBay seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320271817894

They were listed as "Suzuki Savage Intruder Volusia 800 FULL CHROME SIGNALS"

They are plastic, covered with chrome, but they are not metal covered with chrome.

So, my question to the group: When you think of "chrome" do you assume that it's metal, or can chrome plating on plastic be considered "full chrome" as stated in the title of this eBay auction?

I'm trying to determine whether I have a legitimate beef with this seller.

Thanks.

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: What is chrome? Or: Did this eBay seller screw
Reply #1 - 07/18/08 at 06:02:31

Mr. Webster says chrome is "Something plated with a chromium alloy."  I'd be hacked off too, but if there's chrome on that plastic, you're probably out of luck.  Then again, how would they cover plastic with molten metal?  

Send him a nastygram and see what is answer is.  That will probably tell you more than anything.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #2 - 07/18/08 at 06:11:01

Any normal person would think from the description presented that the items in question were 100% chromed metal.
Webster's defines chrome as: a blue-white metallic element found naturally only in combination and used especially in alloys and in electroplating...again suggesting metal.
All of the old cars of the 1950's were full of chrome. Rock solid metal that would get pitted over time, but could be polished back to it's  original self.

But today I just don't know. Everything is made out of that cheap shiny plastic that is called chromed, but will break if you brush by it.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 07/18/08 at 06:33:54

Starlifter wrote on 07/18/08 at 06:11:01:
Any normal person would think from the description presented that the items in question were 100% chromed metal.
Webster's defines chrome as: a blue-white metallic element found naturally only in combination and used especially in alloys and in electroplating...again suggesting metal.
All of the old cars of the 1950's were full of chrome. Rock solid metal that would get pitted over time, but could be polished back to it's  original self.

But today I just don't know. Everything is made out of that cheap shiny plastic that is called chromed, but will break if you brush by it.

A vacuum process to chrome plate plastics has been done for years.    

Now I understand  they deposit/paint a copper layer then use that as a base to  do the std nickel and  chrome layers.  

To tell if it's chrome, just hold it up against your handle bars.  If it's the same tint, then it's chrome.

As to breaking.... that's relative to the thickness of the plastic.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 07/18/08 at 06:34:56

Do a search on Google under "plastic chrome" and be prepared to read alot. Some companies refer to it as a 'chrome like finish on plastic', while others say it's 'electro plating'. Bottom line is - question everything. Almost nothing is what it appears to be anymore.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Reply #5 - 07/18/08 at 06:43:18

Mr. Hyde wrote on 07/18/08 at 06:34:56:
Almost nothing is what it appears to be anymore.

I guess someone named "Mr. Hyde" would know all about that, eh?  Wink

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 07/18/08 at 06:54:12

If we are going by definitions, full means "containing all that is possible." Most of the definitions that I read of Chrome puts the first (preferred) definition as the metal itself and something plated with chrome after that. So I think you have a legitimate beef.

If "full chrome" means chrome plating on plastic to this seller, what does "chrome" mean. What are they trying to differentiate? Or are they trying to make someone think they are selling something different.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/18/08 at 07:28:33

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 07/18/08 at 06:33:54:
A vacuum process to chrome plate plastics has been done for years.    

Now I understand  they deposit/paint a copper layer then use that as a base to  do the std nickel and  chrome layers.  

To tell if it's chrome, just hold it up against your handle bars.  If it's the same tint, then it's chrome.

As to breaking.... that's relative to the thickness of the plastic.....

Yes chrome finish has been applied to plastics and metals other than steel for many years.

But "full chrome" is a term used to describe a high quality finish that can only be accomplished by first plating the surface with copper, then nickle then chrome.

It appears this ignoramous thinks that "full" means all over.  nail 'em to the wall   Angry

WWW   IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 07/18/08 at 07:35:33

Quote:
I guess someone named "Mr. Hyde" would know all about that, eh?

You got that right.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #9 - 07/18/08 at 14:11:17

Yes, you can metal plate anything.  It is most likely real chrome plating.  I've done a little metal plating myself.

Just by looking at those I would have assumed them to be all metal though.  Personally I won't buy anything from an ebay seller with less than 99% feedback.  I think they were somewhat mis-represented.

If they're made out of thick plastic though, they should be OK.  You didn't pay but $25 bucks for the pair.

The stock signals on the S40 are chrome plated plastic and they cost over $50 for a single signal.

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
Starzuki
YaBB Newbies

Is today your day?

Reply #10 - 07/18/08 at 14:23:38

Bottom line, I think that if the auction description had an indication that it was metal, or didn't specifically say plastic you'd have a foot to stand on. Otherwise, let your feedback do the talking.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #11 - 07/18/08 at 15:12:30

Starzuki wrote on 07/18/08 at 14:23:38:
Bottom line, I think that if the auction description had an indication that it was metal, or didn't specifically say plastic you'd have a foot to stand on. Otherwise, let your feedback do the talking.

There is one other thing to stand on....at the bottom of the page it says this:

If your not satisfied...I'd see what the seller will do to fulfill the above advertised statement.   Wink

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #12 - 07/18/08 at 15:16:09

Chrome is just a plating overtop of plastic or metal. Those blinkers look chrome to me.
After looking at the ad, I'd have expected them to be plastic chrome plated blinkers because thats what they look like in the picture.. I'm not trying to be insensitive but i think you got what you paid for.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/19/08 at 00:22:53

This auction is for two CHROME signals with CHROME lense.

Unless someone figures the lens is metal, not plastic, we have to know the seller isnt afraid to use the word chrome to describe plastic.
They look good, cost little, mount them up & be happy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/19/08 at 05:28:34

I think you just learned a lesson, course I just pulled a good one myself just this week.  I bought some bullet turn signal off of ebay too.  I did ask the question if they "were metal, well made, decent weight" and the seller replied that they were,"been making them like this since the 50's:.  They got here and were much smaller than I thought (no dimensions in the ad) and made in Taiwan.  His answer was correct, I just didnt ask the right questions, next time we will ask a few more questions.

Live and learn, I am goping to leave good feedback and enjoy what I got, can always swap them out and sell them on ebay later.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:24:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is chrome? Or: Did this eBay seller screw me?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.