Send Topic Print
stupid carb question (Read 334 times)
Mike from Pittsburgh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

stupid carb question
07/17/08 at 19:33:20

I read Lancer's carb tuning guide, and I think mine is too lean, so I wanted to try to get it right. Problem is I don't know where the pilot adjust screw is. I have an '05, all stock. The only adjust screw I find on the carburetor besides the idle adjust screw is below the bowl and it looks like it would be the drain screw. Where's the pilot adjust screw on an '05?

Thanks,
Mike

IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: stupid carb question
Reply #1 - 07/17/08 at 19:40:41

look at the technical threads.There's pictures instruction to follow.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 07/17/08 at 20:24:33

It's riiiiiight there.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 07/17/08 at 23:50:48

Sandy you diden't mention that it's covered up when it comes from the factory,he will need to drill that out to reach the screw,CAREFULLY.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #4 - 07/18/08 at 00:29:28

the best way i found to do it is find a really small drill bit and start a tiny hole not very deep just enough to be able to turn a screw into it and then grab some pliers grab a hold of the screw and pull it out .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Mike from Pittsburgh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/18/08 at 05:53:07

Thanks everybody, now I get it. I saw that cover, didn't realize there was a screw under there.

IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #6 - 07/24/08 at 13:27:36

I have been meaning to ask this, and this thread seems like the best place.  If that brass cover is on top of the screw in such a way to need to be drilled out/forcefully removed - was it every really Suzuki's intention that it be removed and the mixture screw adjusted?  I could see if it was a cap or cover or some other item that could be taken on/off to access the screw.  Kinda seems odd that they would put an adjustment screw behind such an immovable object with seemingly irreversible results after drilling out the brass cover.   My God that was a long run on sentence... sorry for that. Embarrassed

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 07/24/08 at 14:14:38

My understanding is that the cap is there to keep the government happy.  If the screw isn't readily available, then the bike can't be easily made to pollute more, right?  If it was not ever supposed to be adjusted, though, the screw wouldn't be there at all.

My guess is that if you go to the Mikuni weekend training seminar, they will teach you the secret handshake and issue you a tiny probe that will pull that plug right out.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #8 - 07/24/08 at 14:26:20

Maybe I should go to the training cause I keep yanking and it is still there.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #9 - 07/24/08 at 14:32:33

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 07/24/08 at 14:14:38:
My understanding is that the cap is there to keep the government happy.  If the screw isn't readily available, then the bike can't be easily made to pollute more, right?  If it was not ever supposed to be adjusted, though, the screw wouldn't be there at all.

My guess is that if you go to the Mikuni weekend training seminar, they will teach you the secret handshake and issue you a tiny probe that will pull that plug right out.  

so that makes me wonder, does removing the brass plug void the warranty on a brand new S40?  hmmmmm.... Undecided

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 07/24/08 at 14:36:39

Dj12midnit wrote on 07/24/08 at 14:26:20:

Got a picture of what it looks like?  It should pop right out.  It's only 1/8" thick.

Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 07/24/08 at 14:37:43

Government, in the guise of the EPA, has been playing this game for decades. I had an '81 Honda Twinstar, which had a "tab" on the idle mixture screw limiting the adjustment. You could lean it, but not enrich it. Strictly speaking, removing that tab or removing the cover over the idle mixture adjustment screw on the Savage/S40 makes it illegal to operate the machine on the road. Doesn't matter whether you adjust the screw - the fact that it can be adjusted in such a way as to make the machine emit more exhaust pollutants is what counts. The "white spacer modification" is equally illegal, let alone any mods that increase the sound level (loud pipes) or alterations to the intake tract that increase noise.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #12 - 07/24/08 at 19:31:38

Charon wrote on 07/24/08 at 14:37:43:
Government, in the guise of the EPA, has been playing this game for decades. I had an '81 Honda Twinstar, which had a "tab" on the idle mixture screw limiting the adjustment. You could lean it, but not enrich it. Strictly speaking, removing that tab or removing the cover over the idle mixture adjustment screw on the Savage/S40 makes it illegal to operate the machine on the road. Doesn't matter whether you adjust the screw - the fact that it can be adjusted in such a way as to make the machine emit more exhaust pollutants is what counts. The "white spacer modification" is equally illegal, let alone any mods that increase the sound level (loud pipes) or alterations to the intake tract that increase noise.

Is that a federal regulation or just particular to some states?  And I'm curious as to who is going to inspect the bike and press charges?  Certainly not the cycle shops I'd go to for inspections.  I mean, is this a bureaucratic regulation we're talking about, or a piece of signed legislation?  Not trying to be an ass, just curious.  

(As if it's anyone's d***ed business what I do to my bike: because, seriously, a single volcanic eruption puts out more greenhouse emissions than the entire history of industrialization combined.  Let's see the EPA outlaw THAT!  Now, when it comes to the noise issue, they have a point in certain localities to legislate the issue, but c'mon are the cops running around with decibel-o-meters??? I mean, they're the ones making all the noise when they drive past my house with sirens blaring at 3 in the morning.) Cool

I'll be d***ed if I risked my life for freedom, and then my own government strips it away. F those MFers Angry.  (The Sailor Jerry is talking again...) Shocked

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 07/24/08 at 19:48:47

It's Federal. Some States may have echoed it, but I doubt it. It isn't enforced as a practical matter, because it is Federal. A State or city cop isn't likely to cite you, because there isn't any money in it for them. After all, if you aren't violating a State or city law, they don't get any money for the ticket.

If you actually read the Owner's Manual, they tell you it is a violation of Federal law to tamper with any of the emission controls, including noise. It is a violation of Federal law for your friendly dealership to install a non-compliant pipe on your bike, and it is a violation of Federal law for them to re-jet your carb. States usually have some sort of ordinance prohibiting "excessive noise or smoke," but they usually don't actually define limits and leave it to the interpretation of the citing officer. I gather some places are finally getting tired enough of loud pipes that they are starting to enforce laws already on the books.

I am afraid you will find the EPA does indeed think it is "their business" what you do with your motor vehicle.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #14 - 07/24/08 at 19:49:53

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 07/24/08 at 14:36:39:
Dj12midnit wrote on 07/24/08 at 14:26:20:

Got a picture of what it looks like?  It should pop right out.  It's only 1/8" thick.

Looks like this now

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:32:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stupid carb question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.