Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Re: stupid carb question
Reply #15 - 07/24/08 at 20:05:45

Hard Corps wrote on 07/24/08 at 19:31:38:
a single volcanic eruption puts out more greenhouse emissions than the entire history of industrialization combined.

If you believe that, have I got some prime Florida real estate for you! Or perhaps I could interest you in this bridge I have for sale a little farther north...

Really, if you want us to take you seriously, you've to got to stop making such absurd statements.

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #16 - 07/24/08 at 20:09:11

That's how mine looked.  I just stuck a gold sheetrock screw in there until the plug started spinning and popped it right out.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #17 - 07/24/08 at 21:21:41

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 07/24/08 at 20:09:11:
That's how mine looked.  I just stuck a gold sheetrock screw in there until the plug started spinning and popped it right out.

From bad to worse. Went out to try again and broke off the screw.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 07/25/08 at 04:23:45

Spiff wrote on 07/24/08 at 20:05:45:
Hard Corps wrote on 07/24/08 at 19:31:38:
a single volcanic eruption puts out more greenhouse emissions than the entire history of industrialization combined.

If you believe that, have I got some prime Florida real estate for you! Or perhaps I could interest you in this bridge I have for sale a little farther north...

Really, if you want us to take you seriously, you've to got to stop making such absurd statements.

That is not absurd, just a matter of the reality of the natural things happening on and in the planet.

I do not know if the exact numbers on this but the basic idea is true.  Thanks to to wonders of the discovery channel, etc,  I have seen comparisons of the volume of a single volcanic explosion and the estimated output of human industry, and the result is that the human effort pales in comparison to the volcano's.  There are a lot of volcano's out there and we usually have at least one per year that pop's it top somewhere in the world.

IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Reply #19 - 07/25/08 at 06:09:31

With all due respect, LANCER and Hard Corps, please check out this excerpt from an article by geology professor Richard Fisher of the University of California at Santa Barbara, Department of Geological Sciences:

Quote:
Carbon dioxide is abundant in volcanic gases, but not enough to significantly contribute to the greenhouse effect. Volcanoes contribute about 110 million tons of carbon dioxide per year while man's activities contribute about 10 billion tons per year.

http://volcanology.geol.ucsb.edu/gas.htm

10 billion is hell of a lot more than 110 million, eh?

I've cited a source for my information, can you give me a source for yours?

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #20 - 07/25/08 at 15:47:36

back to the screw -- 1) it comes out quite easily because it was not meant to be permanent -- they know we are going to yank it.  It's like those annoying tags they put on mattresses.  It's OK to remove them.  Really.

2) I drilled a smallish hole, inserted a self-tapping sheet metal screw NOT TOO DEEP, then -- very carefully -- used a small block of wood and the back end of a claw hammer and it popped right out.  Be very careful not to pry against anything but the block of wood and rest the block against a solid part.  Lotsa luck.

IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Reply #21 - 07/26/08 at 14:02:51

Spiff wrote on 07/25/08 at 06:09:31:

<crickets chirping>

(Perhaps we could continue in another thread, so as to not hijack this thread any more than we already have.)

WWW   IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #22 - 07/26/08 at 17:54:52

Spiff wrote on 07/26/08 at 14:02:51:
Spiff wrote on 07/25/08 at 06:09:31:

<crickets chirping>

(Perhaps we could continue in another thread, so as to not hijack this thread any more than we already have.)

We can take this to The Cafe.  Disclaimer- in my post I had been drinking.  I didn't remember the exact numbers but the gist of what I remembered from earth science in college was that the earth itself has put out way more greenhouse gas than we have, primarily through volcanoes.  I've checked the numbers in both your studies and a couple others.  You are right- in a year, we're doing a piss-poor job of taking care of our planet.  However, the numbers on human activity are pretty recent.  Whereas the numbers and cumulative effect from volcanic activity have been pretty much constant for the past 10 or so millennia.  I'm not suggesting we do nothing about greenhouse emissions.  I hate smog, sucking diesel fumes, and the noxious odors from our local production plants.  I just think we may be overreacting and overstating the effect human activity has on the earth's warming and cooling cycles.  I also recall something to the effect that most of the rise in global temperature has been in industrialized metropolitan areas, rather than world-wide.  Paved/bricked areas have a way of retaining and radiating heat, especially with a covering cloud of automotive emissions.  I do share a bit of the concern over some of the glacial shrinking, but I don't know that we have enough information to pinpoint the cause.  

Keep in mind also, that the numbers you supplied relate only to CO2, and not all of the greenhouse gases expelled.  Couldn't find numbers.  Maybe you can? (I'm open-minded enough that if my arguments are shown to be faulty, I'll modify them.)

Of course, I may just be talking out of my tushy. Roll Eyes  I'm college edu-ma-cated, but I'm not a climatologist.

And your crickets chirping was due to my contributing long hours toward the growth of our GDP.   Wink

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Reply #23 - 07/27/08 at 07:32:49

Hard Corps wrote on 07/26/08 at 17:54:52:
We can take this to The Cafe.

Let's do that.

I'll have time on Monday to start such a thread.

Maybe Lancer will join us, too.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:22:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stupid carb question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.