Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Size of the phillips screws on the carb??? (Read 158 times)
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Size of the phillips screws on the carb???
07/17/08 at 09:05:57

This question was asked before but I don't think it got an answer. What size are the 4 soft metal OEM screws on the carb that everyone suggests should be replaced with allen head screws. I can't get the allen head replacements locally and have to order them but I have no clue what size to specify. Thanks

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Size of the phillips screws on the carb???
Reply #1 - 07/17/08 at 14:13:30

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #2 - 07/17/08 at 16:25:49

I think they are metric 5mmX.85 I think.  You can get them from most any GOOD bicycle shop.

Just take one with you and see.  We use them to hold bottle cages and stuff on.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
bruno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/17/08 at 16:32:46

Mr. Hyde ,
 I took my carb completely off and used a pair of vise-grips to get them off . worked pretty good and a lot quicker . I stripped one out and they are very veeeeeeeeerrrrryyy soft ! You will strip them with a screw driver .

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 07/17/08 at 20:37:36

I wonder if the lousy hardware was a development later in the Savage's life?  I have opened the carbs on both my '87 and '88 without a problem, then reused the same screws.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #5 - 07/18/08 at 03:09:27

me too.  Although they are looking a bit used, I still use the ole #2 phillips on them...even if I want to change them to cap screws.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - 07/18/08 at 08:15:06

Toymaker wrote on 07/18/08 at 03:09:27:
me too.  Although they are looking a bit used, I still use the ole #2 phillips on them...even if I want to change them to cap screws.

The Japanese have their own phillips and is slightly different in the flutes from our #l and # 2's etc.......It is identified by a small dot or punch mark on the head of the screw itself.  I don't have the engineering number of the drive bit at this moment but it is id'd by the designation JASO followed by their number.  It might be easy to look at a screw on a body part such as a lamp or trim scew to see this small dot on the head.  For most purposes our phillips or apex # 2 bit will suffice but if there is a corrosion, seizure or overtorquing problem you definetly need the proper Japanese bit.  A Snap On catalogue would be a good place to start.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 08/06/08 at 21:28:54

SuziQ wrote on 07/18/08 at 08:15:06:
The Japanese have their own phillips and is slightly different in the flutes from our #l and # 2's etc.......It is identified by a small dot or punch mark on the head of the screw itself.  I don't have the engineering number of the drive bit at this moment but it is id'd by the designation JASO followed by their number.  It might be easy to look at a screw on a body part such as a lamp or trim scew to see this small dot on the head.  For most purposes our phillips or apex # 2 bit will suffice but if there is a corrosion, seizure or overtorquing problem you definetly need the proper Japanese bit.  A Snap On catalogue would be a good place to start.

+1

Not a lot of people realize this.

Here is a source I used to get these JIS Phillips screwdrivers:

Ames

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:24:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Size of the phillips screws on the carb???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.