Send Topic Print
Digital Bike speedo (Read 115 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Digital Bike speedo
07/15/08 at 16:40:33

I have read that several of ya'll have installed a digital speedometer for a bicycle on your bikes.

I am thinking of doing this and am wondering what is the best one to use, what is the usual price, are they weather friendly, and what is the difficulty in installing one?

Also, with my longer front end, is there a maximum distance for the receiving unit to be able to pick up the sending unit?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Re: Digital Bike speedo
Reply #1 - 07/15/08 at 16:56:26

I've got both a Sigma and a Schwin.  The Sigma was on the Savage from the PO.  Sigma works very well.  Put a Schwin from Walmart on my Shadow.  The Schwin works good but can't stand direct sunlight, darkens when sitting in the sun, clears up after time.  

Easy to install, but use a different magnet than the one provided, like a small plain square one.  The provided magnets are designed for spoke mounts.

Don't get the wireless from Walmart.  I tried it on my Shadow first.  Had trouble getting a good reception on it, from the bike's electrical I think.  When it did work, it wouldn't get over 45 MPH.

If you need to extend the wires, you can do it with 22 guage wire (I think that's the size).  The sigma unit on my Savage has an extra foot on it to give it plenty of length.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/15/08 at 17:39:57

I have seen both wireless and wired speedo's, do they both work equally fine or does the wired provide better response?

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 07/15/08 at 17:51:09

I put on a Sigma. The cable was just the right length to mount the readout on the handle bar and the sensor tucked in underneath the fender. I used a 1/4" od super magnet on the tire rim and epoxied the sensor between the fender bolts on the inside of the fender. It works great. Weather hasn't affected it and the display is very readable on the sunny  or cloudy days.

if you got this route, be sure the sensor is attached real good. There isn't much room under the fender and I think if it lets go at speed the ride would get real interesting real qiuck.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 07/15/08 at 18:02:49

I've been very happy with my Schwinn.  Walmart.  $10.  The only thing is there is no backlight, so at night I revert to the stock speedo.  The good news is, when it's warm enough to ride here, it's light out until after my bed time.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #5 - 07/15/08 at 18:03:32

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 07/15/08 at 19:15:40

Skid Mark wrote on 07/15/08 at 17:51:09:
I put on a Sigma. The cable was just the right length to mount the readout on the handle bar and the sensor tucked in underneath the fender. I used a 1/4" od super magnet on the tire rim and epoxied the sensor between the fender bolts on the inside of the fender. It works great. Weather hasn't affected it and the display is very readable on the sunny  or cloudy days.

if you got this route, be sure the sensor is attached real good. There isn't much room under the fender and I think if it lets go at speed the ride would get real interesting real qiuck.

The only problem with mounting it under my fender is that I have no front fender. I am running a Girder front end with no front fender.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #7 - 07/15/08 at 19:46:12

Some of the previous posts point towards descriptions of alternate mountings that don't use the fender. They should give you some ideas

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #8 - 07/15/08 at 19:47:58

Yeah, I will be looking at all the previous posts about mounting this kind of speedo again and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all of ya'lls replies. Greatly appreciate it.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #9 - 07/15/08 at 21:45:01

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/15/08 at 19:15:40:
Skid Mark wrote on 07/15/08 at 17:51:09:

The only problem with mounting it under my fender is that I have no front fender. I am running a Girder front end with no front fender.

My Sigma on the Savage is epoxied to the brake caliper.  A small square magnet is epoxied to a spoke on the brake disk.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:18:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Digital Bike speedo

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!