Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about clutch (Read 51 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Question about clutch
07/15/08 at 12:41:57

Pretty new to riding so don't know if this is usual, but sometimes I have difficulty shifting down into 1st gear.  I usually shift down to 1st at around 10 mph, and typically I can just shift down through neutral and to first.  But occasionally as I'm slowing to a stop, I cannot shift down into first, because I feel some kind of resistance (catching) on the shift.

This problem, if it even is one, happens more often when I come to  a stop without shifting to first.  Say I've come to a stop in 2nd.  I cannot, while holding in the clutch, go down through neutral to 1st.  What I have to do is:     I slow down to a stop holding in the clutch in 2nd.  While stopped and still holding clutch I try to shift down to first through neutral, but the shift pedal won't let me go through neutral.  It stops there, I have to release the clutch, and then repull it and go down to first.

I didn't know if this was my interpretting some sort of safety feature that stops me from going down into first too soon, or what.  Sometimes I can push straight into first, sometimes cannot.  This is really only a problem when I'm on an uphill at a stoplight, and I'm having enough trouble going without killing it without having to worry about how to get down to first in the first place, like I said, usually I can just release the clutch and pull it again.

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Question about clutch
Reply #1 - 07/15/08 at 13:20:32

Tis normal for the bike.  Occasionally you have to feather the clutch, press down on the shifter till you feel resistance, then pull the clutch in again, then downshift to first.  

The synchronizers don't always line up, especially when downshifting.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/15/08 at 13:21:50

believe it or not, can happen in any gear.
mostly going down and rarely going up.
usually happens to me when I'm on the low side of oil.
simply apply pressure to the shifter with your foot (well what else could you do it with, yeah read to many manuals)
and let out the clutch alittle just to the friction zone as you really don't want to go anywhere at the moment.  This should be enough to spin the gears alittle and cause them to engage.
in 1st you'll probably hear tic tic tic clunk.

WWW   IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/15/08 at 13:26:32

appreciate it, maybe time for oil, but good to know its common

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:22:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.