Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Homemade panniers - material worries (Read 183 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Homemade panniers - material worries
07/14/08 at 08:37:17

I'm considering making some ghetto panniers for the bike to go with the ghetto luggagerack/trunk that I ripped off my scooter and installed.

What materials should I look out for?  I've read a little about nylon bags melting, etc.  Does the savage get hot enough to melt nylon bags if I have them strapped together and thrown over.  I'll most likely make some sort of bracket for bags like this (probably ones out of the tech section).

To avoid having to make brackets, I've thought about attaching some hard boxes to the side instead of throwover bags (though those will be less portable off the bike).  Is there a danger of plastic melting or metal getting really hot?  What seems like a good material for this endeavor?

And to ease worried minds, patience has paid off, and my aunt-in-law might have found my wife and I some free helmets - so ignore the dangers in my old post.

Thanks

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Homemade panniers - material worries
Reply #1 - 07/14/08 at 08:44:06

Any part of the muffler and header pipe get plenty hot to melt nylon.  

My stock muffler had discolored at the rear of it, so that's hot hot to discolor chrome....

As for helmets,  you know the drill,.... make sure they fit snug.  With it on your head,  take your finger and thump on it all over to listen for changes in the sound to check for soft spots.  A helmet with soft spots is better than no helmet but not by much.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #2 - 07/14/08 at 08:47:53

Nylon will work so long as you keep it away from the exhaust.  Leather will last longer and hold its shape better.

Good for you on the helmets.  That's a step in the right direction.  But thats only one of many that you have to take.

I'll be blunt. You are a brand new rider.  You have no health insurance.   Just adding used a used helmet does not eliminate the danger. Don't make stupid decisions that rely on luck.  You or your wife can end up real dead, real quick.

Park the bike until you have the funds lined up to be responsible.  Take the bus.  Ride a bicycle.  Walk.  Just don't ride the bike......

« Last Edit: 07/14/08 at 13:38:46 by skrapiron -FSO »  

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/14/08 at 08:57:31

A  backpack will easily sling onto the left side, no muffler there. A bungee from the loop handle at the top of the pack to the helmet lock & flipped around to not load the swing arm of the lock, with a D-Ring sewn on the lower front corner so it will tie to the shock mount & you are in Bidniss. Mine has straps that can be adjusted to pull it flat to whatever load is in it. Ohh, Cut a piece of 1/8th ply or scrounge a piece of good plastic to reinforce the back & keep it out of the wheel, thats a must do.
Once the left side is on, a pack can be slung onto the right side, but its not near as easy. The gym bag, reinforced & strapped down is the easiest. The flaps with velcro are redundant. A bungee with the cloth covered elastic & the thin metal hooks that can be slightly straightened will hook under the fender braces & one end of the elastic slipped down out of the coil, pulled up & tied back to itself. I've been using one bungee for the last few months & its holding up well, no apparent damage done to the bike. Just find a bag about the width of the seat , mine sticks out over the tail light. You could use contact cement to glue in some light plywood & another piece underneath. If thats not stiff enough, glue a piece of something heavier or another piece of ply, it will eventually quit flexing.Ohh, yea, I have D-rings on each side at the bottom & a piece of parachute cord running under the seat. Its not real easy, but the cord Will fish thru. I ran a piece of piano wire thru & hooked the parachute cord & dragged it thru, kicking & screaming. My bags are super cheap & have held up for almost 3 years & been used to haul a good lot of stuff. Good luck on the Lo Buck way.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/14/08 at 09:00:18

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #5 - 07/14/08 at 11:18:15

PANNIERS - holy cow I about fell out. I hardly hear anyone using that term in the 21st century except me and my 18th century group!

So, here are REALLY panniers in action under my gown.

And here they are without the over dress. The reason I'm showing them is this - you can MAKE them using cane and fabric and put them on your bike.  Cost to make $28

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/14/08 at 12:33:17

that's hysterical

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 07/14/08 at 13:09:49

LOL!! That is pretty cute! Cool

BTW Josh ... Army surplus ammo cans make EXCELLENT "ghetto" panniers ...

Ride Safe!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/14/08 at 13:31:58

So that's where that came from!
You could definately fit a couple of helmets in there, or groceries, maybe a jacket and gloves...
Very nice.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 07/14/08 at 14:52:28

I always wonder how and why 18th century ladies in period movies were always able to have whatever they needed when they needed it even out in the middle of nowhere.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #10 - 07/15/08 at 12:44:12

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/14/08 at 14:52:28:
I always wonder how and why 18th century ladies in period movies were always able to have whatever they needed when they needed it even out in the middle of nowhere.

There is a pocket slit in the skirt of the dress that allows access to the pocket itself. You can see in the second photo the opening in the pocket.  And YES indeed those things are seriously big carriers.

In my panniers I personally have carried my 18th century flintlock pistol, a fan, handkerchief, wallet, lipstick, cell phone, knife, sunscreen, blister bandaids, a bottle of water, a granola bar, a book, a few 60 cal lead bullets for show and tell, my gun cleaning kit, a comb, extra hairpins, eyedrops, and a spare garter....in ONE side pocket and it was NOT full!

A very good visual of this pannier-pocket use is in the movie "Last of the Mohicans" with whatshisface, oh yeah, Daniel Day Lewis.  The lady Cora picks a pistol up off a dead guy and stashes it in her volumous pocket.

See, we learn all kinds of things on the Suzuki Savage forum!  Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #11 - 07/15/08 at 13:18:35

She's pretty AND armed.  That's a dangerous combination! Wink

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 07/15/08 at 14:03:08

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 07/14/08 at 08:44:06:
Any part of the muffler and header pipe get plenty hot to melt nylon.  

My stock muffler had discolored at the rear of it, so that's hot hot to discolor chrome....
 take your finger and thump on it all over to listen for changes in the sound to check for soft spots.  A helmet with soft spots is better than no helmet but not by much.....

sounds like your buying a melon...  not something to protect your melon

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:26:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Homemade panniers - material worries

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.