Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas leak from carb/air box? (Read 92 times)
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Gas leak from carb/air box?
07/14/08 at 00:28:13

I know that I have seen posts like this but not sure if I have diagnosed correctly. Just bought a bike and familiar with older cars but bikes are newer to me. 1987 savage (of course). Has emission control. Severe gas leak may be from a number of sources as it is a "mechanics special." Ran fine for a while mostly was starting 2 times a week til I could fund its registration. Now after a 15 mile ride was coughing sputtering and leaking gas. Looked like it was coming out of the bowl vent of the carb above the hose that leads to the emission control. Also leaking oily/gassy drips from air box drains. Read about petcock mod. not sure if that would fix but the air filter was extremely dirty. got a new one when I saw it. CAn a really dirty air filter act like a choke and flood the carb uncontrolably which might flood the crankcase? Does the new metal cone air filters work better, and is the breather hose affected at all from this change in design? I cleaned the carb when I bought it, but might the float be sticky Seemed pretty loose when I cleaned it. Any takers?

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Re: Gas leak from carb/air box?
Reply #1 - 07/14/08 at 07:39:19

bump. . . any help?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 07/14/08 at 08:37:47

Could be one of  two things.  

1) float problem of either float hanging up on something or dirt may have gotten into the valve seat.  Requires dropping the fuel bowel and checking.

2) Diaphragm in the petcock may be leaking.  To check this, pull the hose that runs from the back of the petcock to the right front side of the carb.   It shouldn't have gas in the line.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #3 - 07/14/08 at 10:42:29

I checked the vac line from the petcock, the petcock side was dry the Carb side was wet. strange . . . I think I will cap both end anyways. Do you think that might be indicative of a really flooded carb from the gas line due to the "dirty air filter" choke?

Also checked the float, not sticky, clean fuel, no clogging that I saw.

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #4 - 07/14/08 at 22:39:18

anybody else? I put in a new foam filter and looks to be running OK, we shall see.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 07/15/08 at 04:51:39

Mine is an '87 that had the EXACT same symptoms as yours.  I didn't have the patience to figure out why, so I can't help you there.  I put in a new petcock and all my troubles went away.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:19:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas leak from carb/air box?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.