Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Backpack or Messenger bag? (Read 469 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Backpack or Messenger bag?
Reply #15 - 07/15/08 at 08:41:53

I went through this same dilemma not too long ago.  I used to always use a back pack but over time I got really annoyed at the added bulk on my back.  The weight on my shoulders and the heat generated on my back became unbearable.  I looked around for a sissy bar bag but the only stuff I could find were gigantic weekend bags when all I needed to move around was my laptop (sub-laptop actually), some papers, and my binder.  A messenger bag was perfect for me but there weren't any that could attach.

My solution was to take a Riggs PAK mail bag (it's not stiff like the picture implies, which pissed me off):
http://motorcycle-luggage.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code...

And mod it with straps to connect it to the sissy bar.

There are two horizontal straps and one vertical.

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/15/08 at 08:45:00

Toddlamp, this is Great!  Thanks for sharing your mod with us, I have a very expensive messenger bag and I will try to add this mod on my bag.  This should work perfect for my needs.  Thanks again!   Cheesy

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 07/15/08 at 08:48:54

Glad to help.  I'll post some better pics later.  All I have at work is my crappy camera phone.  I'll also post up what it what it looks like on the sissy bar.  It holds it on great and has never given me any problems in almost a year of use.  I needed to make some modifications to the top strap buckle though because it takes a lot of the force when mounted.  I'll do my best to document it.                              

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 07/15/08 at 11:13:32

Todd, how did you attach the straps to the bag?  Thanks again, very helpful!

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 07/15/08 at 13:47:14

A needle and thread.

I did it in a square with an X-in-the-center pattern

______
|\      /|
| \    / |
|  \ /   |
|  / \   |
|/___\ |

(you get the idea)

Once I get some better pics you'll get a better idea

IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #20 - 07/15/08 at 14:20:49

back back, holds two gallows of milk side by side when i do the weekly run.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 07/15/08 at 18:41:29

Understand it Todd, thanks!

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 07/15/08 at 20:19:42

Here are some better, although equally crappy, pics.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 07/15/08 at 20:47:20

A sheet of aluminum would fix the floppies.

of course their bag is stuffed full of peanuts.

WWW   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 07/15/08 at 20:49:41

It's actually just fine the way it is.  I thought it was going to be a problem but it turned out not to be.  I just felt like they misrepresented the item.

IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #25 - 07/16/08 at 08:55:12

I've always been backpack.  I hear u guys wearing they. Out of 15yrs I've been using a pack I've never wore it. I have a $22 pack from Wal-Mart. It's a East Sport brand. It's 20"h x  13"w x 10"d approx. It has a stiff/hard base and back which makes it stand. It has wheels and telascopic handle to wheel it around when off the bihe or wear it on your back with the backpack straps. It has a section on the back that slides down over the back rest. If 2 are riding turn it to the back. If just you turn it onto the seat and it makes a great back rest for you on the long trips like I did for the 340mi trip to Buffalo, in which I had packed a weeks worth of clothes (roll them tight). It even has 2 side mesh pockets, 2 small outside pockets and a drink bottle holder. It's designed that I even have 2 12"x18" flags on it (1 US and 1 POW). You can but don"t have to use the straps to hold it on because its tight on the back rest, if you do just loop them over the turn signals. You can carry it by the handle on top also. I use a luggage lock through the 2 zippers on the main compartment to secure the contents like my fullface, leather, sweat shirt' raingear and what ever else. I carry a drink cooler in it alot on rides. lol

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #26 - 07/17/08 at 09:25:48

I carry a backpack - one just like this in fact, only mine is silver where this one is red.   http://www.wengerna.com/browse/product.jsp?prod_id=11366&cat_id=16&cat_name=S...

I can pack my laptop, all my computer nerd gak, my lunch - and today all of my gear for going to the gun range.  fully loaded I guess its about 15lbs but since I wear it squarely and tightly on my back it really does not effec the ride at all.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
roscowgo
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 07/17/08 at 13:50:34

I just got a Marsee tank bag from www.newenough.com  http://www.newenoughhp.com/closeouts/luggage/marsee/15_liter_tear_drop_quick_...

And i freakin love it.     I found some old laptop packing material and carved out little foam niches for my gps, phone, and camera today.    To give you an idea of size, it's sitting on a c50, and i believe i could just fit a 6 pack of 20 soda bottles in it.

It has 2 ports into the underside from the clear plastic top for powering with a powerlet or similar gadjet.   The big inside part has a good sized zippered pocket, and some stretchy cargo netting.    base is a map container, big part zips off and on in about 5 seconds.     Having the speedo covered up kinda sucks...but the gps works fine to keep me aware.... do kinda miss the idiot lights though.     might have to re-route those.    If nothing else its made me even more anal about checking the fluids etc...

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #28 - 07/17/08 at 14:06:39

i got a cooler from wallyworld. Holds lots of stuff, stays on the bike really well, is insulated, and cost less than $15.00.  I stuffed some foam in the front pocket so it makes a good backrest too.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
suzukigrl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan
Reply #29 - 07/17/08 at 14:50:07

I used to use a backpack but the paperwork gets heavy when your riding a hour and 15 minutes to work and starts to hurt the shoulders. I have tried a duffle bag with a luggage net over it but that isn't easy to get to either. I am looking to get some saddle bags but I am not sure that they are going to be big enough.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:22:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backpack or Messenger bag?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.