Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stupid LED Turn Signal Questions (Read 103 times)
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Stupid LED Turn Signal Questions
07/13/08 at 10:08:21

1) Changing the flasher relay to an Electronic flasher : Do I need to change all of the turn signals  to LED's?  Or can I just change the back turn signals to LED's and leave the Front ones stock?
"I found where they hid the flasher with the help of the Companion CD"

2)Load equalizer has anyone used one on a 1987 susie and what type Shocked

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Stupid LED Turn Signal Questions
Reply #1 - 07/13/08 at 11:05:03

The standard flasher works by heating up a metal strip  (bi-metal actually) that bends and disconnects, then cools and reconnects.  If you change the light bulb wattage, it affects the how fast the unit flashes.  The LED are real low wattage.......

The Electronic flasher works on a timing circuit that opens and closes a relay.  They are not "load" dependant.  

That said... I believe you should be able to run LED's w/o an equalizer.... I think... sort of....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 07/13/08 at 11:47:27

The purpose of the electronic flasher is to make it "Don't Care" -- you can run any combination of lights/leds/lamps, beepers...

Downside is you will not get the fast flash when a bulb burns out so you need to get into the habit of regularly checking that you flash on all four corners.

WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 07/13/08 at 11:57:21

I put a set of mini bullet led's on the rear of my bike but they weren't very bright. Whenever someone was riding behind me, they always asked why I don't use my turn signals. But i do. They just aren't bright enough during the day. So i got the hard saddle bags with built in turn signals (led). Same problem, noone can see them during the day. At night you can see them just fine. So I have a set of flush mount signals (non led) to mount in the back of the hard bags. I hope the ones you got are brighter than the two sets that I've tried.
AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 07/15/08 at 09:16:18

Well, i got my flush mount amber turn signals today and mounted them. They are much smaller than the red led signals on the hard bags but they show up much better during the day. I ran the wires for the red leds to the brake light so now they come on with the brakes. I really happy with the new amber signals (not led's). You can also see how I covered the holes from the original brake light.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:19:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stupid LED Turn Signal Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!