Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Check your top header bolts!!! (Read 321 times)
Starzuki
YaBB Newbies

Is today your day?

Re: Check your top header bolts!!!
Reply #15 - 07/14/08 at 14:09:17

Mine ended up being the bottom that was loose. Saw it after the ride the other day. Its a good heads up for everyone thought.

Is anyone using loc tite or anti-seize when they're putting these back on?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #16 - 07/14/08 at 14:56:55

Just so happens that I caught a loose top header bolt on my chopped 99 right after finding the loose and nearly stripped front drive pulley on the other 99.

It becomes more plain to me over time that the Savage/S40 needs a very frequent fastener tightening schedule; much like we used to have to do with the old British bikes.

These are not ride 'em and forget about them bikes.

Not nearly as bad of maintenance as some vintage or replica bikes, but safety and finance demands that you keep up with the maintenance on these bikes or suffer the consequences.

Update: General advice as a long time mechanic: I think that I'd go with the anti-seize and frequent torque checking, and forgo the thread locker on the header bolts.

IP Logged
bhcarl
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 07/14/08 at 17:26:43

checked mine, top bolt loose, 07 with 2000 miles

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #18 - 07/14/08 at 18:43:59

Yep! I can say that mine started getting loose at 500 miles... so now i bought a $10 torque wrench w/12mm socket and its in my saddle bag..along with a small flat blade screwdriver / 13 mm wrench / 10mm wrench / philips screwdriver / 12 mm wrench... humm wonder what else i should throw in there?

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Starzuki
YaBB Newbies

Is today your day?

Reply #19 - 07/14/08 at 21:08:15

cornfuzed wrote on 07/14/08 at 18:43:59:
Yep! I can say that mine started getting loose at 500 miles... so now i bought a $10 torque wrench w/12mm socket and its in my saddle bag..along with a small flat blade screwdriver / 13 mm wrench / 10mm wrench / philips screwdriver / 12 mm wrench... humm wonder what else i should throw in there?

Maybe a mini-fridge, cell phone holder, stereo and.....oh, sorry, thought we we talking about a harley dresser there for a second. I think you'll be set with the minimalist approach you've got there. That'll cover most of what might come loose.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:11:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Check your top header bolts!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.