Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leaking Fork Seals... What Parts & How? (Read 81 times)
Eole72
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leaking Fork Seals... What Parts & How?
07/12/08 at 11:14:23

Hi all,

Being new here and in the world of motorcycling, I would like to get some advises and info for repairing my 1993 Savage. I have leaking fork seals. I've been told it is 40$CND per seal (dealer) plus more than 3 hours labor etc etc so it happens to be a 350$ job!!  Sad

Now, i'v search on this forum, on youtube and got information / howtos but cannont get all the pieces togeter.

Is there any thenical docs explaining parts (diagrams) and giving part numbers (just can't find the darn part no for both the oil and dust seals...)

any step by step pics/vids on doing that on a 1993 savage  etc

i know it is a lot of questions... but would really like to be independant from the dealers / mecannincs Wink

thanks

Stephane

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Leaking Fork Seals... What Parts & How?
Reply #1 - 07/12/08 at 16:07:46

I think if you look in the tech section,back about 6-8 months ago there is a how-to on it.If not I'll be doing mine this week or next.I will document it.Buy at least a Clymer's manual it will help.Greg's CD(Savage Companion) is good too.I still need to get one.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 07/12/08 at 17:19:18

It is possible to compromise on this. You can fairly easily remove the fork legs, and take them to the dealer. That reduces the dealer's labor charge to only that required to replace the seals, as opposed to the labor to remove and replace the fork legs. If you do that, don't be surprised if they don't put oil in the fork legs.

Whichever way you go, you will have the fork legs removed. This would be an excellent chance to install fork gaiters, like the ones used on motocross bikes. If you install the gaiters you will probably never have to replace seals again, because the seals will be protected from weather, sunshine, rock dingies on the sliders, and so on. Gaiters can be had in a choice of colors, if that is important. Only you can decide whether you are willing to take the looks of the gaiters in exchange for the protection.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Eole72
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/12/08 at 20:43:05

thanks guys

demin, if you happen to do the job soon, please post me some pics and comments if possible.

Charon, I though of this also... but still have to get the job done... i think anybody interresetd enough in mecanics can eventually do that... i've been told that lol

if i get in trouble... that will probably be the way to go Wink

6-8 months back... will search the forum... man thats a lot of threads! hi hi

will wait for more details before i get my hands dirty... anyways, still have to get the part no and order them before i start, anyone knows where i can get the seals (both dust and oil) ?

cheers

stephane

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 07/12/08 at 21:19:36

Why are "1993" and "Savage" looking so strange together to me?  We didn't have those here, did we?  Just the rest of the world?  I realize she's in Canada, but I guess I figured all the Savages went to Bangladesh or somewhere like that in the "off" years.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Eole72
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/12/08 at 21:23:08

1993 LS650 AKA "Suzuki Savage"

Not called like that in your country? interresting... if you have info on years/models that could actually help me find my parts!! Wink

Cheers

Stephane

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 07/12/08 at 21:25:52

That's what it is called here.  I just don't recall hearing of a '93.  I know there were some years they weren't imported to the states.  I think that was one of them.  I could be completely wrong, though.  That's happened to me once before. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Eole72
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/12/08 at 21:29:02

thats interresting, i will double check the serial number tomorrow... to make sure the date i was givin is correct... we never know!

i had a hard time finding my seals, it appears that only parts for 1886-1988 are available... any advise?

think all this is a great project for a first bike. Getting to know my bike will probably be a plus eventually Wink

thanks

Cheers

Stephane

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/12/08 at 23:21:18

im pretty certain 86-88 will work. Very very few things on these bikes have changed over the years and i doubt any of the fork parts were among them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:23:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking Fork Seals... What Parts & How?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.