Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
lurching problem (Read 201 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: lurching problem
Reply #15 - 07/12/08 at 06:21:42

The description of lurching at low speeds, but running fine at higher ones makes me wonder if you are running at low speed in too high a gear, say 25 mph in fifth. the Thumper doesn't much like that. If the engine is cold it likes it even less. Mine will let me get away with 25 in 4th, if the engine and day are warm, but it would really prefer 3rd at that speed.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #16 - 07/12/08 at 17:41:21

If your bike is surging at about half throttle, the white spacer mod is for you!

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #17 - 07/12/08 at 17:42:55

That is the problem provided your not "lugging" the engine, which is trying to ride with the engine below about 2000 rpms.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #18 - 07/12/08 at 22:25:53

I had exactly the opposite problem. My lurching, I discovered, was from running in to low a gear. I tried going 40 - 45 in third only to have the bike seem to be really struggling against it. Upshift to fourth, and the engine smoothed out, without lugging.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #19 - 07/13/08 at 05:48:29

I have an article from a 1996 road test of the Savage claiming there is a 6500 rpm rev limiter in the ignition. Wonder if 40-45 mph in 3rd might be running up against that?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
wifes bike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/13/08 at 07:27:18

Wink ok guys its not lugging hehe thats for cool harlys  Winklol. 1 st gear form 5 - 15 mph it lurches and the other gears the same thing at same rpm. i did the A/F adjustment and no more backfireing thanks for that info but still lurching. i  geuss i'm up for the white spacer mod next ,let me get this straight. need to thin the spacer or use 3mm washers that are thinner than the  white spacer correct.    i'm going to go ahead and do the valve adjustment while the tank is off also  , you guys are right the tech part is a sorce packed with all kinds on useful info . could and have spent hours looking through that stuff , like a big bowl of savage candy Grin .
            hey its cool that i'm not the only one who thinks the dealership sucks ,(stealership) it fits . the 600 mile service was supose to involve checking everything listed in the manuel stuff like check valve clearance,  spark plug ,check touque on all bolts, air pressure ,oil change and the list goes on. ok they had it for about 30 min lol Smiley ,,  asked me if i wanted to wait SHOCK man i've never put a bike in the shop that didn't take at least an overnight stay .they can't tell me they did all that or half of it in that time no more stealership for me all i need in this forum you guys  rock  those guys need to  study this forum lol  Smiley  i'll let you guys know how the spacer thing goes when i get around to it
                                                          thanks again Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:18:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lurching problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.