Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Water Injection for Savage (Read 427 times)
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Re: Water Injection for Savage
Reply #15 - 07/12/08 at 15:35:03

Steve M wrote on 07/12/08 at 11:56:56:
Fascinating thread this!

I personally wouldn't trust anything that involves water in an engine.
A savage is an economical machine that runs about as lean as you can get.
Surely whatever you do to try and achieve more MPG just means it will run even leaner?
I'm no scientist but I have always thought burn less fuel means get less power?

If you want better economy than your getting from a savage then buy a 50cc scoot! (then you get the less power bit as well, lol!)

My understanding is that a lot of gasoline is used to cool the engine, by not burning.  The idea behind this vaporizor is to use only the amount of gas you need to burn and use water vapor to cool.  I'm not an expert, and don't know all the explainations, but that is my understanding of how it's supposed to work.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #16 - 07/12/08 at 15:41:19

We also had water injection on the early (pre G model) B-52s, and early KC-135 tankers.  Hence, they were affectionately called "water wagons".  Those early jet engines had horrible acceleration for takeoff.

Huge plumes of black smoke on takeoff, sucking fuel thru them like nothing else could.  I can't imagine how it could increase efficiency.

I never got to fly any WW II fighters, but remember reading about War Emergency Power, or WEP.  WEP was, as Mick said, just more throttle that allowed the pilot to exceed normal red line in manifold pressure (not RPM) to get away from the bad guy.  Use of it trashed the engine.

Kinda like our technique in F-4s to get away from a Mig 23 or 25 - full afterburners, dive for the deck, get as low as you could go, and run like the dickens home.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 07/12/08 at 16:43:02

Gary On A Savage wrote on 07/12/08 at 15:30:00:
Wow!  Didn't expect so much response on this topic.  This is really cool.  Thanks for all your input.  

I wouldn't expect such a simple thing to turn out to be the answer to all.  What I was really looking for in this "vaporizor" was to cool the engine a little (it gets 100+ here), and maybe give  a little HP.  Not really interested in the MPG at this point.  The Honda Shadow is running to lean, PO put on after market exhausts and didn't rejet.  Running hot from being lean, not to mention 100+ weather right now.  I have a dyna rejet kit on order, but in the mean time...

I built one out of a used gatorade bottle and parts from Orchard, maybe $5 total.  Hooked it up to the PCV line on my Honda Shadow.  Mounted the bottle between the handlebars and windshield where I could adjust the flow.  I saw some bubbles at first but then they quit.  I didn't seal the holes in the lid with plumber's goop, so that may be the problem.  The test run did not show any improvement at all...and no bubbles.

I'm going to fix the leaks on the vaporizor and try again.  I'll let you know if I see any improvement.  Don't worry, I will be rejetting the bike.  But would be interesting test to see if the thing does anything.  One guy put this and the "HHO generator" on his BMW motorcycle.  He didn't see any improvement, but he didn't do very good tests by his own admission.

HHO Generator scam:

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/hho_scam.shtml

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #18 - 07/12/08 at 23:46:39

Arthur wrote on 07/12/08 at 16:43:02:
Wow!  Didn't expect so much response on this topic.  This is really cool.  Thanks for all your input.  

I wouldn't expect such a simple thing to turn out to be the answer to all.  What I was really looking for in this "vaporizor" was to cool the engine a little (it gets 100+ here), and maybe give  a little HP.  Not really interested in the MPG at this point.  The Honda Shadow is running to lean, PO put on after market exhausts and didn't rejet.  Running hot from being lean, not to mention 100+ weather right now.  I have a dyna rejet kit on order, but in the mean time...

I built one out of a used gatorade bottle and parts from Orchard, maybe $5 total.  Hooked it up to the PCV line on my Honda Shadow.  Mounted the bottle between the handlebars and windshield where I could adjust the flow.  I saw some bubbles at first but then they quit.  I didn't seal the holes in the lid with plumber's goop, so that may be the problem.  The test run did not show any improvement at all...and no bubbles.

I'm going to fix the leaks on the vaporizor and try again.  I'll let you know if I see any improvement.  Don't worry, I will be rejetting the bike.  But would be interesting test to see if the thing does anything.  One guy put this and the "HHO generator" on his BMW motorcycle.  He didn't see any improvement, but he didn't do very good tests by his own admission.

HHO Generator scam:

Other's don't think it's a scam:

http://www.goodgrease.com/water-injection-is-a-very-simple-and-very-safe-olde...

I've read other stuff saying HHO is viable..but not miraculous..

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 07/13/08 at 00:35:24

Gary On A Savage wrote on 07/12/08 at 23:46:39:
Arthur wrote on 07/12/08 at 16:43:02:

HHO Generator scam:

Other's don't think it's a scam:

http://www.goodgrease.com/water-injection-is-a-very-simple-and-very-safe-olde...

I've read other stuff saying HHO is viable..but not miraculous..

The documentation you listed is not about HHO generators.  It is about water injection.

As I earlier posted, The multi-million dollar Holley corporation's graduate engineers tried to solve all the many problems involved with water injection in automobile engines and marketed a system for this purpose.  It failed in the marketplace and was discontinued, because it did not work.   Vacuum varies with engine RPM.  This causes incorrect amounts of water vapor to be sucked up into the engine at the wrong times.  There are a multitude of other engine conditions that vary the amount of water vapor needed for water injection to work properly, and this is what the Holley system tried to address with an electronic metering system.  It failed because the problem is too complex and varies with different engines.  

Simplistic (pre-Holley) systems were widely and cheaply available in the '50s-'60s, and bought by many people.  I knew a few. The idea lost popularity because water injection did not save gas nor offer more power. It did not work like it was supposed too.

As for removing carbon, water will do that and when cars used to have problems with carbon build up, people would race their engines while pouring  small amounts of water down the carb throat.  However, using water injection for this purpose should not be needed if one bothers to use a good grade of gas.  And in any case the problems water injection bottles added to the engine by reducing the flame front of the ignition of the gasoline with water vapor, outweighed any carbon removal benefits.

Don't you think the auto manufacturers would have used this 68 year old, un-patented idea on their cars as a marketing tool, if it saved gas or increased power?

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #20 - 07/13/08 at 16:47:42

Gort.  Thanks for the dialog.  I really don't know what automakers would/could do with any technology.   They don't seem to do too much of anything with engine advancement, particularly with MPG improvement.  Traction control - yes.  GPS and Diagnostics - yes.  Aerodynamics - yes.  Engine/MPG improvement - no.  (My impression...maybe not others)

I just look at autos of today and notice that they don't get any better gas mileage or performance than my first car I bought in 81.  In fact, my '81 Plymouth Champ got better gas mileage than any car on the market today...even they hybrids.  How can that be?  And what makes me more upset is that my dad's 2002 Corvette gets better gas mileage than my 2001 Toyota Highlander.

Now you can say what you want in defensive of automakers.  But in my opinion, they are just as much a part of the gas problem as anything else in this county.  Why?  Because people will pay for glitz and not innovation.  As long as gas was reasonable, people didn't care what the car's MPG was.  Now it matters to people, and automakers don't seem to want to change.  Why?  Because eventually people will accept the current price of gas (just as they did before) and keep buying whatever new glitzy crap the car companies provide.

In 20 years look what we've done with computers.  In 20 years, we sent men to the moon.  Look what we took airplanes from in the last 100 years.  But the 100 year old automobile engine hasn't changed much, runs off the same stuff, and gets pretty much the same (or less) MPG.  Yeah.  I believe the auto industry is doing everything it can to use technology....sure they are...

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 07/13/08 at 16:51:20

Gary On A Savage wrote on 07/13/08 at 16:47:42:
Gort.  Thanks for the dialog.  I really don't know what automakers would/could do with any technology.   They don't seem to do too much of anything with engine advancement, particularly with MPG improvement.  Traction control - yes.  GPS and Diagnostics - yes.  Aerodynamics - yes.  Engine/MPG improvement - no.  (My impression...maybe not others)

I just look at autos of today and notice that they don't get any better gas mileage or performance than my first car I bought in 81.  In fact, my '81 Plymouth Champ got better gas mileage than any car on the market today...even they hybrids.  How can that be?  And what makes me more upset is that my dad's 2002 Corvette gets better gas mileage than my 2001 Toyota Highlander.

Now you can say what you want in defensive of automakers.  But in my opinion, they are just as much a part of the gas problem as anything else in this county.  Why?  Because people will pay for glitz and not innovation.  As long as gas was reasonable, people didn't care what the car's MPG was.  Now it matters to people, and automakers don't seem to want to change.  Why?  Because eventually people will accept the current price of gas (just as they did before) and keep buying whatever new glitzy crap the car companies provide.

In 20 years look what we've done with computers.  In 20 years, we sent men to the moon.  Look what we took airplanes from in the last 100 years.  But the 100 year old automobile engine hasn't changed much, runs off the same stuff, and gets pretty much the same (or less) MPG.  Yeah.  I believe the auto industry is doing everything it can to use technology....sure they are...

Good point.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 07/13/08 at 17:21:50

I think the average car like chevs and ford get a lot better mileage than they use too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #23 - 07/14/08 at 09:24:12

Gort, your views are greatly appreciated.  And for the record, I never could get the "vaporizor" to work (ie no bubbles).  Don't think I'm tagging a good vacuum line.  Anyway, I don't think it's a good design and I'm shelving it for now.

So let me ask a similar "what if".  I was reading on the Shadow forum about injecting water to clean engine, boost power...blah blah blah (All talk, no action).  It gets so hot here in the summer (100+ most of the time) and so do the bikes, especially the Savage, and climbing foothills reall puts a load on the bike.  Do you think a manual water injection would be beneficial under limited conditions?  Say a system that you would turn on/off (or squeezed) that would inject water spray somewhere into the air intake, say at the air cleaner?  If so, under what conditions?  Summertime high RPM, heavy load, power boost.  What does anyone think?

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 07/14/08 at 11:22:49

Here is what I did to my '71 Wolseley 16/60.  The engine requires high octane gas.  I wanted to use regular.  Doing so caused it to ping, knock and diesel when you turned the key off.  So, I used cooled Marvel Mystery oil to solve the problem.

The goal was to reduce combustion temperatures which would reduce the need for hi-octane gas, as well as cause the engine to run cooler.

Upper Cylinder injection systems are very similar to water injection:

http://www.ampcolubes.com/

I have the one using the metal can reservoir. ( You don't want to use the plastic or glass units as they will insulate the oil from the airstream).   I mounted the can in the front of the car where the airflow hits it.  This cools the Marvel Mystery Oil ( a simple, lightweight oil that will not burn in the engine's combustion chamber) that is in it.  The oil is then sucked ( by engine vacuum) through a small transmission cooler, which is also in the airflow in the front of the car.  This cools it some more. It then enters the intake manifold via a spray nozzle, where it is distributed to the 4 cylinders via the intake valves.  It gets sucked into the cylinders and pushed back out, via the exhaust valves, and then out through the exhaust.  It never burns, in the cylinders.  This results in a cooling of the combustion temps of the cylinders.  The way I know that it is doing so, is that with this simple system, I can use regular gas  in this engine with no pinging or dieseling.  If I stop the flow of the cooled oil, the engine pings upon acceleration and diesels at shutdown.  

The Ampco unit's flow rate is controlled by a metering valve on the container.  All of this could be duplicated at home, and you can buy the spray nozzles separately from  Vaco, Inc, P.O. Box 6, Florence MA 01060  (413) 586-0978

Perhaps a system like this would solve your specific needs?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 07/14/08 at 11:37:59

You could put 1 oz. of 2 cycle oil in you gas too, when you fill up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 07/14/08 at 18:38:47

bill67 wrote on 07/14/08 at 11:37:59:
  You could put 1 oz. of 2 cycle oil in you gas too, when you fill up.

2 cycle oil will burn in the combustion chamber and leave its soot behind. Thats why you see all that smoke coming out of a 2 cycle exhaust system.  Marvel Mystery Oil or Redex will not burn in the combustion chamber, and leave only lubrication behind.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 07/14/08 at 19:42:06

I think your doing so guessing there.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 07/14/08 at 19:43:57

bill67 wrote on 07/14/08 at 19:42:06:

I've had 3 2 cycle motorcycles and a lot of snowmobiles that didn't smoke

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 07/14/08 at 20:19:51

bill67 wrote on 07/14/08 at 19:42:06:

'Gary on a Savage' is trying to cool his engine and or give it a power boost.  How is mixing 2 cycle oil in the gas of a 4 cycle engine going to do this?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:22:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Water Injection for Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.