Send Topic Print
Carb Tuning??? (Read 89 times)
thoner7
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb Tuning???
07/10/08 at 14:08:22

Ive got a problem.  Was riding a few times, and after 5 miles or so the motor died when I let off the throttle.  After dieing I was able to start her again after pulling the choke all the way out, and i could keep her running by keeping the RPMs high.  I would let her sit for a while and she would start like normal.  It happened again and now she wont start.

This only started after I changed the oil, and began hearing a slight tick in the motor, maybe just coincidence though.  

I think it is one of the jets in the carb, but I need help identifying and fixing the problem.... every cycle shop is booked 2 weeks out!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Carb Tuning???
Reply #1 - 07/10/08 at 14:32:31

First, check the petc*ck vac line.  Any gas at all in it and you've got the classic petc*ck problem. (look it up!)(this is most likely)
If that's not it, remove the float bowl, from the carb, and pull your jets, make sure they aren't clogged.  Check the floats and float level and the needle and seat.
If that ain't it you're going into the top of the carb to check the needle and slide.
If you're making black smoke, skip checking the jets, they're o.k.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thoner7
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/10/08 at 18:47:09

Update:  I was able to start the bike like nothin was wrong once putting the petcock on prime, and i drove to the store and back, almost 5 miles, with it on prime.  It ran fine, but I dont think I drove far enough to encounter the problem Ive been having.  Once home I let the bike idle with the petock on ON for a min or two and it idled fine.  Going to check the vac line now, hopefully the bike is cooled down.  

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 07/10/08 at 19:02:24

Yep.  Normal.  On and Reserve only provide fuel when there is vacuum.  Prime will flow freely all the time.  Don't leave it on prime when you shut the thing off, or nasty things can happen.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
thoner7
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/10/08 at 21:31:20

OK. I checked the vac line, it had a small, 1/4 inch stress crack in it where it meets the petcock.  I replaced it with another rubber line and clamps.  then I let it idle for about 2 mins on ON, and it slowly started to die and sputter off, so i flipped it into PRI, and the idle picked right back up, so I went back to ON for another min or so.....and so on and so on.  I think I found the prob. (vac line) but Im not sure I fixed it with a new rubber hose?.  I used a clear hose so I could see if it fills up with fuel, but nothing with jsut the idle, maybe with a ride perhaps?

What you think.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 07/10/08 at 21:37:06

thoner7 wrote on 07/10/08 at 21:31:20:
OK. I check the vac line, it had a small, 1/4 inch stress crack in it where it meets the petcock.  I replaced it with another rubber line and clamps.  you think my problem is solved?

Only way to know for sure is to test it out, but that sounds like the problem I had at one time. I replaced the vac line, the old one had some cracks in it as you describe, and it fixed the problem.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
thoner7
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/11/08 at 07:58:03

Been raining all morning so no riding today.  I dont really tihnk the problem is solved.  Anyone have the link to the common mod people have done when encountering this prob?

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/11/08 at 08:46:43

You have the choice of replacing the petcock or converting it to manual.  See tect section for that.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:26:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Tuning???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.