Send Topic Print
insurance (Read 281 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: insurance
Reply #15 - 07/11/08 at 19:09:27

Maybe my time is coming 36 years of riding and never wrecked,If I thought I was going to have a wreck I wouldn't ride any more.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #16 - 07/12/08 at 06:28:34

Bill,  I heed the saying as a warning, but not quite as an actual fact.  In fact, I don't plan to crash either.   I do plan/hope to be prepared in case it happens though.  (I added 'hope' because at times, I do not wear ATGATT)

Fact:  My Dad never crashed.  And never will.  So I know it can be possible.  He was not a full time rider, but neither am I.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 07/12/08 at 06:37:46

My brother 1 year older than me we started together riding so he's got 36 years and more miles than me never crashed, My wife had 8 years without a crash,She died of cancer 21 year ago.I never thought about a crash til I got here and everyone talks about it,We didn't take any motorcycle courses either.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #18 - 07/12/08 at 08:42:42

I'm glad to hear that you and your family have never been down Bill. I truly hope that is the case for the rest of your lives. I never took a course either, learned street riding by tagging along with a bunch of friends when I was younger.

I always lived/rode in heavily populated and congested areas. NYC up until 10 years ago when I moved to N.J. There's something about N.J. drivers, they don't know what merge is, and they're notoriously selfish and inconsiderate. I stopped counting the bike accidents/deaths in the local papers a few weeks ago, seemed like there was one a day for a while. N.Y.C. was a bit different, and I actually felt safer riding there. Here at the Jersey Shore it's about p.o'd tourists and locals wanting to get where they need to go. The roads were not built to accommodate the growing population. Everyone seems angry.

I guess our environment has a lot to do with it. I get cut-off on a pretty regular basis where I ride. Darn, just the other day I was sitting at a light in a left-only turn lane and a very old woman starts pulling in "ALONG SIDE" me! I'm SITTING at a light. I actually yelled at her instead of hitting the horn because her window was open and she was inches from me, just pulling in from the right lane like I wasn't even there. I have to maintain vigilance here.

We "ride safe" but we're no competition for a driver on their cell phone running a light with screaming kids in the back seat.

FSO
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #19 - 07/12/08 at 10:16:41

In 19 years of riding, I've gone down twice.  Both times were the fault of inattentive drivers either pulling directly in front of me, or merging into the lane I already occupied.  Both times, I suffered mild injuries (broken wrist, broken ribs) but otherwise was OK.  In both cases, the gear I wore prevented more serious injury.  

I will NOT ride without a helmet. Period.  Having split the shell of my last one after hitting the concrete, I shudder to think what would have happened without one.  

I am a careful rider.  But I cover more miles in a month than most riders do in a year.  Some, in a lifetime......  The odds are against me that I will have another accident some time in the future.  I can either sit around and be worried about it, or I can be prepared for the eventuality.  That is, wearing sturdy protective gear and keeping a high level of personal injury insurance.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #20 - 07/13/08 at 14:08:44

Check out the reader comments following this story of a biker killed yesterday in my area: http://app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080712/NEWS/80712018 to get an idea of how some people view us. Reading the story, it would seem that the biker was at fault, but we won't know until they finish the investigation. Regardless, some of the comments say it all.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:22:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › insurance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.