Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Who's running a Jardine slip-on? (Read 315 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Who's running a Jardine slip-on?
07/09/08 at 20:54:50

I've been whining about my jetting difficulties long enough now that most of you are probably aware of them.  There is a shiny new Jardine muffler with my name on it somewhere out there.  I don't know how soon it will get here, but I'm hoping not too long from now.

Anyway, my mileage is in the dumper (about 43 mpg, down from 53.)  Is this Jardine going to flow enough air to lean things out for me, or should I go back to the smaller jet and listen to the backfiring?  I'll do it now if the Jardine isn't as free flowing as I'm imagining.  I just don't want to change the jet and then in a week have to change it back when the new muffler gets here.

Thanks for any advice.

Sandy

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Who's running a Jardine slip-on?
Reply #1 - 07/09/08 at 22:10:38

Hi Sandy,I have been trying to sell my Jardene muffler since I got it,I paid $160 for it complete with a jet kit,  to buy new I think around $360.
You will not like it,way way to noisy,I got a ticket the first time I used it, it's a beautiful noise ,reminded me of the old days at the Isle of man TT races,great on the track,but lousy around town.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 07/09/08 at 22:51:10

I dont understand that! A friend of mine has the Jardine muffler on her Savage and it sounds good!

Her husband is a MC mechanic though....maybe he did something to it that I'm unaware of Undecided

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Onetogo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/10/08 at 04:40:10

My '03 came with a Jardine and had been appropriately jetted, so the guy said. He provided a small plastic parts box with several jet sizes, a drill bit and an allen wrench. I got tired of the noise but didn't want to reinstall the OEM muffler (came with the bike). It weighs a ton compared to the Jardine.

Backfiring was very common as well as the puff whenever the motor was killed. Pipe was so loud it made my right ear ring and, since I'm not into being a neighborhood spoiler or waking up babies as I pass by homes, the volume concerned me.

While installing a set of Ed L's forward controls I had removed the Jardine and header pipe. Got to wondering what the heck, if anything, is inside that puppy. Couple minutes later I have abandoned the controls and I'm sweating over the Jardine like a grizzly with a stump full of grubs.

After much head scratching, 2X4 whacking and WD40 spraying the baffle finally came out ... and that was it. And internal pipe with slots and a plate at either end to keep it in place.

I looked for high temp fiberglass to wrap the tube but it was no go. A buddy at work said he always used steel wool blanket he bought at auto parts houses. "Fiberglass or steel wool ... doesn't matter," he said. "It all burns away eventually. Remove the fasteners, fire up the motor and goose it a few times. That'll push the baffle out and then you can put more of whatever you use."

Hmmm. I found some "Chore Boy" stainless steel scouring pads in the grocery store. Unraveled five of 'em, wrapped 'em around the baffle, used stainless steel safety wire to secure them and reinstalled the baffle.

Once the forward controls were in place, exhaust reattached and the front of the seat lifted (I used pieces of copper tube instead of nylon spacers) I couldn't wait to see how things worked.

All three mods have made a huge improvement in comfort. Ed L forward controls improved in leg comfort. The seat lift has helped butt and back comfort. The scouring pads as sound insulation have reduced the roar to a grumble, backfires have almost vanished and can be controlled with the throttle it seems.

Next time I have things disassembeled, like for painting, I'll add some more Chore Boy pads to bring the exhaust note down a few more decibles to see if the grumbles can be tuned to a more mellow note.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #4 - 07/10/08 at 05:46:51

Gosh,I love good answers!! That WAS good!  Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
NWAPhoenix
YaBB Newbies

Respect all, Fear
none.

Northwest Arkansas
Reply #5 - 07/10/08 at 13:12:38

I have a Jardine slash-cut on my S40, it is loud but about half as loud as most of the Harleys here.

Oh and to add that I got it plus a spare head pipe for less than 50 bucks, it was more of a choice made for me due to funds Wink  I wanted rid of the stock muffler and this one was the right price.

James
NWAPhoenix hot_stang_guy79   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 07/10/08 at 13:21:30

@sea level - jardine 152.5 mainjet, stock pilot jet, 1/2 spacer, stock airbox, about 2 out on the mixture,  no backfires, 10,000 miles of commute -  average 54mpg.

IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/10/08 at 16:01:49

i have a jardine slip on and i think it sounds great. it is not too loud at idle but you can still hear it. and it really gets loud when you romp on it.  Grin but you can still be quiet with it if you go easy. i like mine and dont plan to change it. it was on the bike when i got it.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 07/10/08 at 19:11:31

Onetogo wrote on 07/10/08 at 04:40:10:
I'm sweating over the Jardine like a grizzly with a stump full of grubs.

Grin  Your info over there on the left doesn't say where you are from, but I suspect you may not be far from me with a comment like that.

Great answers guys.  Thanks.  I think I'll leave it jetted the way it is for now.  It sounds like the Jardine must really let things move on through.  If it is still too rich after the install, I'll put the little pilot back in.  Regardless of what the book tells you, that pilot jet changed things a lot.  It's the only change I made to the bike that should have anything to do with how it runs.  The 155 main has always been there.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/10/08 at 19:14:43

Since it seems that the Jardine slip-on is a bit too loud are there any other brands of mufflers that will fit our bikes that may not be too loud or to winpy like our OEM's? Huh

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 07/10/08 at 19:24:08

I know lots of folks are running Dyna take-offs.  There is a post in the Technical section entitled "Savage Sounds."  It has recordings of several different mufflers on Savages.  Decibel levels are not listed, but it is quite informative.  I've heard Savage Greg's Raask (loud, harsh, and really studly) and Mrs. Savage Greg (Julie's) Supertrapp (Not obnoxiously loud, cool tone, probably easier to cruise with.)  I liked them both.

I'm an old 35-year-old man, but there is a tiny bit of little boy left in me and he wants a loud motorcycle.  I figure while he's still around, he might as well get what he wants.  Smiley 

flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/10/08 at 19:31:25

Sandy...i'm the same age and Please dont call us old already!  Give us at least 10 more years and then give us 10 more to start calling us "old"!  lol   Grin

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #12 - 07/10/08 at 19:34:07

35 in and of itself doesn't make one old... But I've been rode hard and put away wet more than once.  I have to change the oil in my bionic parts more often than in my bike! Smiley

Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #13 - 07/10/08 at 21:09:24

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 07/10/08 at 19:34:07:
35 in and of itself doesn't make one old... But I've been rode hard and put away wet more than once.  I have to change the oil in my bionic parts more often than in my bike! Smiley

I'm just a year older than you and I feel the same way.  Wink

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #14 - 07/10/08 at 21:32:38

And the Savage that SW rode had a sportster muffler on it with a connector pipe. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:27:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who's running a Jardine slip-on?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.