Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new used bike now running (Read 87 times)
SURAZAL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ALBANY NY
new used bike now running
07/09/08 at 14:01:16

So here is the story of a 2002 salvage repair bike which I thought people might find interesting, a young man got the bike from his uncle and had never driven a bike before, 5800 miles on it and he was crossing wet railroad tracks when he dropped it.
Twisted the forks tripple clamps, busted front right foot peg, bent the rear brake lever around till it punched a hole in the oil filter cover, tore off the right rear turn signal and bent the foot shift lever. He tried taking off a fork cap and couldn’t get it back on so decided to list it on Craigslist for 1200. I showed  up and it did start and drove it up the street where it promptly spurted oil all over me after hitting a bump from the opne front fork. I got it back and he was very appoligetic. A previous person told him the forks were bent and would probably cost 600 to replace. I asked what he would take for it cash, 800 and I paid him. It had also been parked out in the rain for the last 2 weeks and all the fasteners were getting rusty.

I got it home with my son’s help and started to really survey the bike. I also ordered a Clymers manual off of ebay. I replaced the signal rubber support for $20 with a dealer part. That evening I found the Suzuki.savage web site and started reading, then it was wire brush with a small brass bristled brush all the bolts I could see. I did take out the starter as it was all rusty and sanded off all the rust and repainted it a nice clean sliver.  
The missing right foot peg I replaced with a piece of steel pipe using a long nipple from the hard ware store and a cap and 5 inches of black rubber hose … total cost $2.25. and used a metric bolt out of my spares box. The horn was crushed so I bought a Fiamme horn at the local auto store for $11.00. I found that the 2nd rear signal had a cracked rubber stalk support and repaired that with .20 cents worth of super glue. The head light shell was missing the 2nd bolt so it slowly turned from vibration. I took it off and found the shell was broken across both light bolt holes, the dealer wanted $95.00 for a new one. Using some sewing binding tape and some epoxy I made 2 patches for the inside of the headlight shell where they are not seen and reinforced both holes after forming the shell back to shape with a band clamp, total repair cost about  .50 cents. I ordered a large used 1 ¼ craftsman wrench off ebay , rather than pay for a metric one as there were lots more American ones and basic math says that an 1 1/8 is close enough to and 28 mm to do to be able to undo the triple clamp nuts and straighten the fork alignment which salvaged the forks total cost $12.00. Now to straighten the dent in the front fender and the deep dent in the tank and I will drill and tap a new hole in the lower triple clamp as the last owner managed to break off the cast aluminum stub and I will put in a stainless allen head cap screw, total coast about $6 including the metric tap which I can use for other things and then maybe I will repaint the bike to a nice bright taxi cab yellow using automotive acrylic enamel in a can paint from the local auto store for a few dollars a piece … probably will coast including Bondo and sand paper about $25 dollars. I actually did buy a new oil filer cover for $29 dollars from the dealer as the leather epoxy patch repair on the damaged one held but didn’t look very nice. So there is the repair story. It is running smoothly and looking much better and soon will be a color of my choice. Life is pretty good if one is handy. I saw 2 bikes of similar age and mileage on Ebay and they both went for over $2400 so I didn’t do to bad at all or so I think.

IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Re: new used bike now running
Reply #1 - 07/09/08 at 14:56:27

Great job!  Love to hear success stories like this one!

I am interested in the fork tweaking part. Did you just undo the two big bolts at the top of the fork tubes on top of the triple tree as well as the two clamp bolts on the bottom and tweak it around? Was it easy? I need to do this and was hoping for some tips!

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #2 - 07/09/08 at 15:28:34

Nice buy.  With all those broken parts, I would think it would be a perfect candidate for a bobber/custom.  Replace everything broken with some cool custom stuff!  You'd still be hundreds behind what most others pay.  And don't forget to post your pics!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 07/11/08 at 10:24:08

great Job.

My story is a $500 eaby special.  Melted piston.  Cosmetically the bike was near perfect in a stock configuration.

My friend is a machinst so we got it running for the price of parts/gaskets.  

Then the mod's came.  Muffler, jets, rear luggage rack off a Honda (CB750 or 550).  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:26:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new used bike now running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.