IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: KnN Air Filter
Reply #16 - 09/12/08 at 07:27:46

Savage_Amusement wrote on 07/18/08 at 18:46:25:
Well we will just put it this way, I have a K&N filter on my S40 and my Dad doesn't on his S40 and mine will STOMP his in the mud every time. He can also be going full throttle and quite a ways in front of me and I'll catch up and pass him every time. My bike also runs smoother and I never have to buy another stupid stock filter again.

Things are just Different. Even engines coming off the same line are different. The manufacturing variances in every part add up to make one engine a bit better than the rest. Try swapping air filters with Dad & see if that changes who wins. Maybe its the fiklter, maybe its, you got a faster bike?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #17 - 09/12/08 at 20:36:42

When both had stock filters and his was newer my bike was still 10 miles an hour faster.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #18 - 09/14/08 at 19:40:43

I havent changed mine yet but Im looking into one of these(see the link) I got one for my 4runner and I love it.  only thing is it will have to be a pod type.

http://www.ramair-filters.com/

OH YA and Savage_Amusement's 10mph over on me is about to go byby  Wink

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #19 - 09/15/08 at 06:18:48

That's alright, I really don't care at all. Its all about the ride and having fun, not about how fast you can go. I'm getting a bigger bike here in awhile anyhow.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
azsavagerider
YaBB Newbies

arizona
Reply #20 - 09/20/08 at 07:00:05

I can say this much.  The filter on my bike was a significant change.  I do believe that k & n makes claims that are highly inflated and that is what they are always going to do.

My bike is an 05 and I rode it for the first two years completely stock and could never go over 85 mph but the throttle was had a lot more and it wanted to keep going.

I took out the spacer completely and did the screw adjustment to 2 turns out.  This made an enormous difference.

However, when I added the K & N to the mix after all of the above, my bike was then able to easily break the 85 mph barrier to 90 easy and at times, depending on wind resistance and temperature 95-100.  The filter made acceleration a lot quicker along with top speed.

The problem with k & n filters is that I have them in all my cars and do notice a big difference in throttle response and that is it.  No mileage difference or acceleration.

When putting one in a very small engine like the s40/savage, that little difference it makes in a big car engine turns into a big difference in a small engine.  

One other thing that really helped my bike in the extreme heat of Arizona, was to put all synthetic oil in.  This made the engine a lot cooler after riding, made the engine quieter alltogether.  It also helped a lot in acceleration.

I have changed my oil with synthetic twice and evertime I get done riding a long trip, the heat that is put out to the touch is so much less.  The shifter shifts smoother.

The bottom line is regardless of how much extra crap the K & N allows into the engine, it makes no difference as these engines are bullet proof and if properly maintained, the filter may reduce engine life slightly but you could change the oil on these bikes with vegetable oil and they would still keep going and going.  They are equivalent to older Hondas or Toyotas, all of which I know stupid kids that have put vegetable oil in them for years with no problem.

Also, why do all these rice burners have fancy mufflers, intakes and god knows what else and I know many of them with over 200k with no problems.

Do what you want to the Savage within reason and it will keep going.  

Also, it is definitely true that 10 bikes from the same factory broken in the same way and identical in every way, will have slight differences and also a couple will be faster and more efficient.  I think I lucked out and got the freak fast one of the bunch.

Thanks

Live life without regrets because at one time that is what you wanted.
  IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/20/08 at 08:15:15

anyone ever try this filter? http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-2310 all the dimensions are correct to be able to fit i think. if i can save some money i might buy one to try it out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 09/20/08 at 08:59:03

All this about Air Filters & no one pointed out OldFellers mod? That aint right.. They coulda saved the $$$ & had all the performance gains.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #23 - 09/20/08 at 11:22:17

Well I did have the filter before I knew of the site. I'm going cone and air box free after while anyhow.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:20:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › KnN Air Filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.