Send Topic Print
KnN Air Filter (Read 470 times)
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

KnN Air Filter
07/09/08 at 12:23:37

I have a '06 S40 fixing to change the Air Filter to a KnN. A good deal for 40 bucks from a Suzuki dealership ( negotiating skills are getting better! ) but just wondering will there be a noticeable difference in power with this change alone? Seems I've read in some other topic where there could be such a difference where a carb jet change may even be required, I definitely hope not! Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks
                                                  Ken

IP Logged
2000Savage
YaBB Newbies

Re: KnN Air Filter
Reply #1 - 07/09/08 at 12:39:43

i put a K&N on mine with a HD Sporty pipe with no re-jetting but the carb did need to be adjusted a bit (mechanic did it)

IP Logged
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/09/08 at 12:46:16

Ok, maybe I should have mentioned my'06 is strictly stock before this KnN filter change in 1 more week. Forgot, I did take the Brass Plug out of the "Idler Jet"? to adjust it to 1 and a half turn out.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/09/08 at 12:55:39

I've tried KN filters in cars and motorcycle and really couldn't see any difference

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/09/08 at 15:52:38

There have been lab tests on K&N filters and the results were that although they let in more air, they also let in more dirt than a factory filter. The articles say that vehicle manufacturers would have used a performance inhancing design like the K&N and its numerous clones in order to achieve better mileage and performance, but they don't because these designs necessarily allow more particulate matter to pass through into the engine.

An interesting side note was the reason given for oiling these type of filters.  The type of filter oil needed must be able to be completely dissolved with soap and water.  The oil is needed to stop road oils and contaminants from adhering to the filter element.  Instead, they accumulate on the oil surface and are washed away when the filter is cleaned.  Without the oil, contaminants such as petroleum contaminated exhaust smoke and chemical or oil comtaminated air pollution will be absorbed into the element and require solvents to remove, which will then damage the element.

IP Logged
northshore_paul

Keep it
simple....less to
break!

South Louisiana
Reply #5 - 07/09/08 at 19:48:47

Makes you wonder about the performance bikes that don't use any filtering element at all in order to get as much air as possible. How long can you run like that?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/09/08 at 21:51:20

northshore_paul wrote on 07/09/08 at 19:48:47:
Makes you wonder about the performance bikes that don't use any filtering element at all in order to get as much air as possible. How long can you run like that?

This is an old story....a vehicle manufacturer spends millions of dollars and employs graduate engineers to develop a vehicle which is the best compromise possible for public acceptance.  Then along comes an assortment of small businesses that offer "improvements" which the original manufacturer decided not to incorporate in his design for very good reasons.  An air filter has to filter the air at a level deemed acceptable for engine long life.  This filter is a compromise.  Then along comes K&N and its clones who promise improvement in performance and lie about their filters removing more contaminants than the factory unit.  Then comes independent tests which visually show the dirt that K&N lets through, as compared to the factory filter.  Look at all the oil additives, like Slick 50, and so on.  Lycoming Aircraft Corp. tested all of them, and said that at best, the only thing some of them will do is not damage your engine, and at worst, they will damage your engine.  Look at the false claims Splitfire spark plugs made for its sparkplugs.  The Federal Government prosecuted them for false advertising.

Seems like the safest thing is to trust the vehicle's manufacturer.

IP Logged
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/18/08 at 11:00:16

Well, just installed my new KnN filter and VERY happy. Warm-up time is considerably less, acceleration is super SMOOTH and low to mid range power is up, more than I imagined it would. A good investment that I would recommend for anyone. Now to put my HD Dyna Muffler that was given to me on.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/18/08 at 11:09:54

I would think if your warm up time is less your not getting as much air and running richer.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/18/08 at 16:15:56

I'm sure thats possible, I've only took it for one test ride afterwards but could be that the extra air intake is nullifying the "stall or surge" thats normally associated with being cold. Then again I may not know what the hell I"m talking about   lol

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/18/08 at 16:20:21

Its hard to tell by one test ride.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #11 - 07/18/08 at 18:46:25

Well we will just put it this way, I have a K&N filter on my S40 and my Dad doesn't on his S40 and mine will STOMP his in the mud every time. He can also be going full throttle and quite a ways in front of me and I'll catch up and pass him every time. My bike also runs smoother and I never have to buy another stupid stock filter again.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 07/18/08 at 18:52:48

Do you and your dad weight the same,running the same jets,and same muffler.the same gas mileage.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #13 - 09/12/08 at 06:02:16

TRUST ME that K&N has NOTHING to do with my sons bike being faster than mine. It was that way BEFORE he changed it.  Roll Eyes

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #14 - 09/12/08 at 06:52:38

It wouldn't matter if I rode his bike and he rode mine it would still be faster. And at the time yes they both had the same exhaust, jets, air filter and dino oil. Things are a lot different now and the results are still the same. I don't know if mine was broke in different or what.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:21:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › KnN Air Filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.