Muffler install (Read 246 times)
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Muffler install
07/08/08 at 18:39:13

I've read as many topics as I could find on this but still having some trouble. Just received the screamin eagle muffler I purchased..it came with mounting instructions and a "shim" to make up the difference in the exhaust pipe and the header tube but it is still far from being a so-called easy install. I can't see anyway possible to make up that difference in the inside diameter of the new muffler and the outside diameter of the header pipe without some serious modification. I'm debating taking it to my local muffler shop and getting him to add some pipe to the header that will take the muffler easier. Anyone install one of these and have any luck getting it to seal on the factory pipe? Thanks in advance for any help

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Re: Muffler install
Reply #1 - 07/08/08 at 22:49:00

Follow your instincts, take the muffler and the head pipe to your local muffler shop - that is what I did, cost me $10.00 bucks to get a 6" piece of pipe made to fit the head pipe and my dyna muffler.  Two clamps (or have it welded) and your all set.  REMEMBER to re-jet your carb ASAP!!!!  BTW my extension pipe if you will was 1.75" ID/OD approx.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 07/09/08 at 06:18:32

88pagan wrote on 07/08/08 at 18:39:13:
I've read as many topics as I could find on this but still having some trouble. Just received the screamin eagle muffler I purchased..it came with mounting instructions and a "shim" to make up the difference in the exhaust pipe and the header tube but it is still far from being a so-called easy install. I can't see anyway possible to make up that difference in the inside diameter of the new muffler and the outside diameter of the header pipe without some serious modification. I'm debating taking it to my local muffler shop and getting him to add some pipe to the header that will take the muffler easier. Anyone install one of these and have any luck getting it to seal on the factory pipe? Thanks in advance for any help

What model muffler????   The HD Dyna's I've had in hand (6 to date) all needed just a thin piece of metal to make up the diameter diff.   The Dyna fits a 1 3/4 inch pipe.  The LS650/S40 header is just under that.

I did find that the inner pipe on my header fits in a 1 3/4" pipe I picked up at Auto-Zone , but the A-Z pipe didn't fit over the outer header at all.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/09/08 at 08:01:58

in the past have used cut up beer can,plummers strap,and rtv sealant..
had midas make me a piece with a 6 deg bend to keep gasses off rear brake...$5

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #4 - 07/11/08 at 08:56:59

Thanks for all the info. I ended up hitting up a muffler shop and had an extension welded on...seals up perfectly. Wish I would have thought putting a slight bend in it as you stated but I was able to bend the extension enough to get it away from the brake. Now I just have to decide if this screamin eagle is loud enough that I'm going to get hassled by the man!

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
northshore_paul

Keep it
simple....less to
break!

South Louisiana
Reply #5 - 07/12/08 at 15:56:51

To those that have used the Dyna mufflers, I have a few questions.

1. Where does the muffler bracket fall on the bike's muffler bracket and does it lay flat against it or does it have a gap on one end?
2. What kind of clamp did you use to tighten the muffler on to the header pipe extension?
3  Has anyone used the stock heat shield to cover the joint between the muffler and exhaust header?

Thanks in advance for your replies, Paul

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/12/08 at 16:38:36

On my '96, the Dyna muffler bracket bolts flat to the Savage bracket without modification.  The muffler slides onto the Savage header pipe to within 5/16ths of the header pipe collar, and stops.  The muffler clamps to the header pipe with the Harley clamp that came with it.  The Savage heat shield bolts on as usual, and covers the muffler connection.  There are no leaks and it never came loose.

IP Logged
northshore_paul

Keep it
simple....less to
break!

South Louisiana
Reply #7 - 07/12/08 at 16:51:42

Does it mount flat with 2 bolts or does it not go back far enough and you only use 1 bolt?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/12/08 at 17:57:44

northshore_paul wrote on 07/12/08 at 16:51:42:
Does it mount flat with 2 bolts or does it not go back far enough and you only use 1 bolt?

Mine mounts flat with 2 bolts.  Its almost as if the brackets were designed to fit together, which is quite a coincidence.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 07/12/08 at 19:20:25

I have a close - up's in my muffler post.  Ain't whistling dixie..

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1190410150

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/12/08 at 21:18:40

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 07/12/08 at 19:20:25:

This pic tells me there must be many variations of the Harley Dyna muffler.  Mine looks nothing like the one in your pic.  Perhaps this is why this site gets so many posts having to do with problems installing the Dyna.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #11 - 07/12/08 at 21:51:15

Arthur wrote on 07/12/08 at 21:18:40:
T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 07/12/08 at 19:20:25:

This pic tells me there must be many variations of the Harley Dyna muffler.  Mine looks nothing like the one in your pic.  Perhaps this is why this site gets so many posts having to do with problems installing the Dyna.

TMack's looks different than the ones I've seen too.(I like the looks of his though)
You might be right on the installation Undecided

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 07/13/08 at 11:24:15

Mine isn't a Dyna stock take-off  It's a aftermarket "Screaming Eagle" clone.

Here's the link to the 4 take-off's I sold, am selling (Cory has dibs on the last one).  They are much more quite then the SE clone.  They all fit the same.  One has the bracket offset different so mount needs a plate.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1214181474

---
  IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #13 - 07/13/08 at 13:57:14

I recently put on a Dyna that looks like the ones pictured above.  The bracket only lines up with one hole, the front, on my bikes frame.  And it does not lay perfectly flat inside the bikes bracket, but almost.  I sprng for a new SS bolt, washer, lock washers and nut.   Didn't want it to fall off.

It also does not slide all the way up the header pipe.  I made a Bud Light shim and used some Permatex to seal the connection.

I also used a HD clamp that came with it.

I didn't put the stock heat shield back on, it just didn't look right to me.  I am going to get one of the $20 generic ones from JC W when I think of it.

I'd recommend the mod.  Sounds better, moves better and, after some carb tweeking, I am still averaging 51 mpg.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:23:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.