Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Start up Question (Read 113 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

Start up Question
07/08/08 at 17:45:27

Is it neccessary to pull the choke on the first start up, meaning after overnight of non-use?

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Start up Question
Reply #1 - 07/08/08 at 17:50:19

That depends on how you have the bike tuned.  Stock?  You'll probably have to pull it out at least one notch every time.  If you've monkeyed around with the jetting and a/f mixture then likely, it will start without it.

The choke drastically richens the a/f mixture.  If you have your bike tuned to run dead even or even a tad rich, you won't need it.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
2000Savage
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 07/08/08 at 17:53:15

I don't really think so, but mine wont start with out one but i can push it back in with in 5sec and it will idol fine (K&N Air, HD Exhaust and no re-jet), i cant see any harm being done with out it, if she starts and idols your all set  Wink

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 07/08/08 at 17:55:42

flcruzr wrote on 07/08/08 at 17:45:27:
Is it neccessary to pull the choke on the first start up, meaning after overnight of non-use?

In FL ... in the summer.... no.  I'm in PA and don't in the summer.  A little throttle and you'll be good.

Now, when it gets down below 60-65 then maybe......

Remember to let the bike run a couple of minutes to get the oil flowing

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/08/08 at 18:51:13

Thanks guys!  So far i've been starting fine without using the choke but I read on another site that the choke should always be used before start up, so was just wondering what the consensus was.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/08/08 at 20:24:57

I don't need choke it starts and idles good in summer.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/08/08 at 20:30:58

I lean my idle out quite abit so it needs choke to start easy

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 07/08/08 at 21:49:10

flcruzr wrote on 07/08/08 at 18:51:13:
Thanks guys!  So far i've been starting fine without using the choke but I read on another site that the choke should always be used before start up, so was just wondering what the consensus was.

Technically we have an enrichener not a choke. A choke does just what it says, it cuts the air off usually by closing the throttle butterfly. What we have on the Savage allows more fuel in instead.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 07/09/08 at 06:36:40

In warm weather I usually make a first attempt at starting without the enricher. If it doesn't fire right away I use the enricher. After the first start of the day I normally don't need the enricher again, unless the weather is chilly.

As mentioned earlier, it is an "enricher", not a "choke". The enricher only works when the throttle is at idle, because it depends on manifold vacuum to pull in the extra fuel through a dedicated passage. An opened throttle reduces manifold vacuum. The choke is usually a flap or butterfly fitted between the air filter and the carburetor, which restricts airflow to the whole carburetor. That restricted airflow effectively subjects the whole carburetor to manifold vacuum, and pulls the extra fuel through the idle or main jets instead of a special "enriching" passage.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #9 - 07/09/08 at 06:59:29

My stock 05 starts easier in the morning with the choke out all the way, then after running a few seconds i push the choke back in.
I tried it yesterday with no choke and it didnt wanna start right away, Then it fired right up with choke fully out. It's 70 - 75 degrees in the am here.. I suppose every bike is different, just go with what your bike likes. Smiley

IP Logged
savageguy
YaBB Newbies

Newb

Reply #10 - 07/09/08 at 09:15:09

The weather has been fluctuating a fair bit here recently.  On mornings where it's less than 80*F I've needed to use the choke.  Higher than 80*F and it fires right up and idles fine without it.

The evening commute, where it's normally 90-100*F, I've never needed to use the choke.

Edit: I have a stock '03.

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/09/08 at 10:23:06

Great input from everyone, thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home