Send Topic Print
Caught in Rain (Read 276 times)
aebooze

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingsland, GA
Re: Caught in Rain
Reply #15 - 07/09/08 at 06:52:46

Its been raining a bunch here too.  I still haven't ridden my bike in the rain, I'm still pretty new so I'm still working on the getting confident while riding period!  At least having cars behind me in traffic doesn't freak me out anymore.  haha.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #16 - 07/10/08 at 04:07:27

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 07/09/08 at 06:48:45:
FreeSpirit wrote on 07/08/08 at 23:02:56:
Seems like its been raining here for 2 weeks and weather channel says all next week.

Somebody who needs it, pray for rain and hopefully ours will come YOUR way Wink

It wasn't all that long ago that I saw folks from Atlanta holding prayer services in nearly dry reservoirs, Freespirit.  Now you guys want the rain to stop....   Some people are just never happy.... (the last sentence was typed dripping with sarchasm...)  Grin

You guys?? Do you think anyone who rides would pray for rain? It must have been all the non-riders praying  Wink

I know now though to pray for it to go your way.....since you love dripping (with sarchasm  Grin

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #17 - 07/10/08 at 04:16:38

aebooze wrote on 07/09/08 at 06:52:46:
Its been raining a bunch here too.  I still haven't ridden my bike in the rain, I'm still pretty new so I'm still working on the getting confident while riding period!  At least having cars behind me in traffic doesn't freak me out anymore.  haha.

Oh good!!! Another Georgian Grin

I'm trying to remember where Kingsland is though Undecided Ah,South Ga. I bet you have been to Fernadina Beach.Such a cool little town!

You know its a little strange,I didnt mind riding as a passenger in the rain at all!I actually liked it...LOL. But it still bothers me a little riding in the rain on my own bike. Oh well,As with everything else....I'll get over it Wink

But,it looks like that's normal for most everyone until they get more experience riding in the rain!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #18 - 07/10/08 at 04:23:50

flcruzr wrote on 07/08/08 at 19:11:14:
Yeah, I have heard of the oil myth so I try to stay out of the middle of the lane and ride in the left or right side of the lane.

Well please be careful with the myths about the tar snakes and lines in the road being slick as well.  I've had those myths create a pucker factor a couple of times.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #19 - 07/10/08 at 04:58:18

Trust me.  We've had enough rain too......  We're somewhere in the neighborhood of 3" above normal for this time of the year.  It makes me glad I live on TOP of the hill....

Tar lines aren't the only thing to watch out for in the rain.  The line paint they use to stripe the road, mark the stop lanes or write directions or information on the pavement gets REAL slippery when its wet.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #20 - 07/10/08 at 05:36:40

As for the oil/road "myth", I believe in waiting 1/2 hr or so after the rain starts.  I've also been told it's a good idea to ride in the tire tracks that the vehicle infront of me makes.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #21 - 07/10/08 at 06:57:38

There are a number of those "myths" that will reach up and slap you down if you don't take them seriously. My favorite is the rubber spacers between train tracks. Those are really great when wet or covered with ice and slush.

As far as riding when it's wet, it's been said before but it bears repeating, be smoooooth on the controls. Try not to do anything abruptly, no "snap" inputs.

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 07/10/08 at 07:00:12

Great Feedback, thanks again!   Grin

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #23 - 07/10/08 at 10:44:40

Sockmonkeygirl actually hit it right on the head.  The DOT highly recommends that motorcycles ride in the tire tracks of leading vehicles.  Also as others have stated, the first few minutes of a good rain is the most slippery time on the highways.  Pull over for at least 5 or 10 minutes.  Painted lines remain slippery long after the bare pavement so avoid them even after the rain has stopped for a while.  Also anticipate your turns so that you can take them much more slowly.  The bike needs to be as straight and upright as possible in wet conditions.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:13:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Caught in Rain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.