Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My first crash and front alignment question...... (Read 308 times)
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
My first crash and front alignment question......
07/08/08 at 10:20:10

Well, it happened yesterday. Some cell phone talking left turning lady tried to kill me.  I was following about three cars doing about 30 mph into a gentle left hand turn.  There was a cager wanting to turn left and I was watching her closely as I moved along. I could see she was not looking at me but at a car about 100 yards behind me. I then saw her front left tire turn and start to move forward just as I got close. I swerved sharply to the right and she missed hitting my back tire by inches. Since it was a left curve I wasn't able to swerve back as sharply as I was now on the shoulder. I just decided to very slowly come to a stop on the grass and all was going great with gentle brake pressure until  a 4 foot deep drainage ditch appeared before me.  I hit the brakes too hard and the bike fell over  on it's right side as I did a face plant into the ditch.  Sprained my thumb but not too bad. I was wearing a full armor jacket which saved the arm I landed on and if it weren't for the full face helmet I would likely be in plastic surgery right now.

A witness stopped and asked if I was alright. He said he was watching the whole thing and his wife screamed when she saw the lady turn at me.  The woman who almost tagged me never stopped and the witness said he didn't think to get her license plate figuring she would stop.

Since I am ok except for a broken ego due to not being able to negotiate that ditch I had a question regarding my front end. When the bike went into the ditch on it's side the front tire jammed into the far wall of the ditch enough to bend the little stop on the frame that keeps the fork from turning too much with the tabs on the fork bridge preventing it. On closer inspection it appears the front end is out of alignment.  When you sit on the bike and square up the handlebars the tire appears to be pointing to the right very slightly. There is nothing, other than the tab on the frame, that appears bent at all. The rotors spins between the pads just fine. Spokes all appears to be tight.

Is this something I can get fixed or is it toast? I am thinking the fork bridge clamps slipped a bit and all would be needed would be to loosen them all up and get it tweaked back into shape.

Any advice anyone can give me would be appreciated.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: My first crash and front alignment question...
Reply #1 - 07/08/08 at 10:36:22

In my dirt bike days I tweaked the front forks a lot.  I would just get a buddy to sit on the bike and hold the bars straight, while I stood facing him straddling the front wheel, knees locking the wheel in place, my arms braced on the bars and turn the bars...then when it looks straight, loosen the triple trees and retighten them to release any tension and check the forks for true again.  Re-adjust if needed.
Maybe you can bend the stop tab back with vise grips?  Gently, gently...
Good luck, BTW nice save, glad you're o.k.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 07/08/08 at 10:43:51

Ok first, I'm (we're) glad you are alive.   Did you go to a doctor to get checked out???  If not do so.
 Second go to the police and report the incident.  color of car, type of car, etc etc.   It most likely won't get the person, but.......  By chance, did you get the name of the witness (it would help a ton)???
 Third, it may be adviseable to report it to your insurance company.   It woudl help if you had a police report number to submit.  
 Fourth, take it to a dealer that can check the balance of the front wheel.   Also, they might be able to check for bent components.  

Sometimes the handle bars get shifted and you can "sometimes" fix it.  Some times not   Sad

Next some tips....., were you running with High Beams on???? ( in day light it helps a little)   If I think the driver might not see me, I wiggle my handlebars/sterring.   It's like flashing the lights but you don't have to find the switch.  Humans see contrasts and changes, a motorcycle heading at them is just a small dot that is not really flashing and does not have much frontal size so there isn't much to contrast against the scenery.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/08/08 at 10:57:54

Great Save, for yourself that is!  Glad to hear your fine, these kind of mishaps just "piss" me off to hear about, because most of the time its due to Careless drivers.  Take Care!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/08/08 at 11:40:40

1st  Smiley glad you're alright, you've now had your 1st.  May it be your last.

In any event, she may have caused the accident, but she wasn't involved in it.  You choose to run in the ditch to avoid her, certainly the lesser of 2 weevils.  You report the accident, get your bike fixed, and your insurance rates go up.  Wonderful isn't it.  Can't claim her as an uninsured driver if you don't catch her either.

WWW   IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #5 - 07/08/08 at 11:43:57

Been there myself, and hopefully you will look at it like I did..... Mad about the bike, angry at people who fail to care about themselves and me, but the bike can be fixed/replaced ..... Glad I put on the full face helmet and the armor as I could not be replaced and hospitals suck…… Undecided

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #6 - 07/08/08 at 12:17:58

Glad you made it out in one piece.  Sorry to hear about your bike's alignment.  At least it's not major damage.  I'd take it to a dealer or knowledgeable mechanic to get it checked out.  But that's mostly due to my not being very knowledgeable.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 07/08/08 at 12:33:49

cagers,,  me included suck... our state just enacted the hands free law.   now they got both hands to do some dumbthing whilst driving and talking on the phone.

welcome to the  "been down" side of riding.
been down 6 times never really that serious. well one  in japan got nastyl.\  flirting with number 7 could have happed a couple of times this past weekend.  

just keep riding that will increase your skill level

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 07/08/08 at 12:45:58

First and only (so far knock on wood) motorcycle accident I have had was on a little Honda Aero 50 motor scooter.

I was about 13 I reckon at the time.

I was following my middle brother on his Honda MB5 and it started to rain. My brakes got wet and I couldn't stop. I rear ended my brother, went over the handlebars and the bike came over and landed right on my back. Luckily it was the seat that hit my back and just knocked the air out of me and gave me some road rash.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #9 - 07/08/08 at 12:54:30

Thanks for the replies.  While I like doing all my own work this one will probably go to the dealer as I can't see anything obviously wrong.

I was wearing a white helmet,  a Hi-Viz yellow jacket and my high beams were on. Didn't seem to matter.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/08/08 at 13:27:59

I tweaked the forks on the Guzzi once. Mark a spot on the front edge of the front tire, dead center. Secure a string, not a stretchy string, something like parachute cord, not a nylon kite string, so that it is held on that spot. Go to one handlebar end, then the other & see if its the same distance. Since it cracked the stop, which I wouldnt try to bend back, I expect it has tweaked the forks. If the crash busted the left side stop you will be needing to "adjust" the other way. I loosened the pinch of the lower triple tree on the forks & tried the knees & handlebar approach, but it didnt budge, so I kicked it( the front edge of the front wheel) a couple of times, with the steering up against the steering stop. And that, as they say, Got 'Er Done. Without the string to figure out where the front tire is reltive to the handlebars, tho, it wouldnt have worked. Good luck. Glad you survived it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #11 - 07/08/08 at 13:32:19

Justin, good idea! I will give that a try.  The stop itself is pretty much broken all the way off. Just hanging on by a thread.  Wonder if I could just make a new one with JB Weld?  Probably need to get a welder to pop a new one on their if I get the forks straightened out.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #12 - 07/08/08 at 13:37:45

Before you go banging and kicking anything, loosen both tripple clamps (4 bolts total).  Then re-tighten. This sometimes straightens the forks since they might have twisted in the clamps. If this does not do it or enough of it, THEN force is necessary Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/08/08 at 13:44:08

You probably blinded her   Shocked

She was thinking to her self 'can't be a m/c, they wear black, must be a ghost, I hate ghosts'

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #14 - 07/08/08 at 14:12:05

Glad to hear that you're OK. It's been a while since I've been down, but I still remember that feeling all too well. Freakin $on$ of Bi&^%$# cagers. I feel like I'm in the death lottery.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:18:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My first crash and front alignment question......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.