Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
12 or 14 inch saddlebags??? (Read 215 times)
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
12 or 14 inch saddlebags???
07/08/08 at 08:06:54

What width size of saddlebags fits best on the S40 - 12 or 14 inch? I have to catalog order mine so input is appreciated. I did a mockup and it appears that 12” x 9” x 5”  slant bag would work but I have to carry my camera equipment with me so I was hoping that a 14” bag would fit. My concern is the interference with the taillights.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
S40NewYork

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Re: 12 or 14 inch saddlebags???
Reply #1 - 07/08/08 at 08:27:51

Personally I think 12 inch bags are way to small...If you do the tail light mod in this link, you can get bigger bags on your bike.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1177478901/14#14

Good luck with your Saddlebag Purchase...I've been searching for the exact right bags for mine for quite awhile now.  Nothing in the size I want will fit without relocating the turn signals.

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #2 - 07/08/08 at 08:40:00

I did some mesuring on mine, seems the 12 are about max without moving the turn signals, as mentioned. I had a hard time finding something I liked. I ended up with these from Carolina Leather Works: http://www.carolinaleatherworks.com/1112x12larle.html They should be hear this week.

07 S40
  IP Logged
Ian
YaBB Newbies

1995 LS650, 2008
FLHRC

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 07/10/08 at 11:31:10

4 carbcorvair - post pics when your bags arrive!  need some for daughter's LS650.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 07/10/08 at 14:29:24

I'm interested in seeing them too. I need a set for my bike and just don't know what to go with!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #5 - 07/10/08 at 15:37:23

They arrived here today VIA the big brown truck. Smiley Thick leather, oh did that box smell good when I opened, despite them being wrapped in plastic. Smiley I set them on, I'm pleased with how they fit, not in the way of anything. Provided I get some saddle bag supports. I'll probably make some up instead of buying some. They are lying against the rear springs toward the front, than tip back. The left is against the belt guard, the right is against the brake lever. Should be just enough room below for the muffler, and just enough to sit under the rear turn signals without having to relocate them. With the saddle bag supports, they should sit nice and level. Smiley

07 S40
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/10/08 at 20:28:42

I was able to put 14's on mine, but it will give a passenger fits, if I ever decide to let the Mrs. ride. Oops, sorry Honey, if you ever decide to ride with me. Smiley

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #7 - 07/11/08 at 09:57:03

Thanks for the pics... Now if only you mounted those Savage rails with the sissybar, so I could get an EXACT idea of how it'd look on MY bike. Wink

How the room in the bags? Enough to carry around "the essentials"?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 07/11/08 at 13:32:35

Jay - wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? I'd really like to see what 14" bags look like on a Savage.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #9 - 07/11/08 at 14:41:02

Here's a shot from ALittlebird when she was heading off on her trip...

From what I remember her telling me via PM, those are 14"... But she said the same thing, they will be in the way of the rear pegs.

edit - Yup... They are River Road Compact's and the specs on their site says 14.5 x 10 x 5...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #10 - 07/11/08 at 15:26:44

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 07/11/08 at 09:57:03:
Thanks for the pics... Now if only you mounted those Savage rails with the sissybar, so I could get an EXACT idea of how it'd look on MY bike. Wink

How the room in the bags? Enough to carry around "the essentials"?

I was going to mount them until I noticed the tops, where the sissy bar mounts, is cut off. Sad I saw the cut-off wheel marks when I took them out of the box, didn't think anything of it. Looked at them better just before I was going to try them on and the mounting part for the sissy bar is gone. Sad The bags should work for me, a little deeper/wider would be better for a gallon of milk or such. I have my backpack also, they should work out great for minor store runs and such. Smiley I picked up some solid bar to fab up some saddle bag supports, going to use the post in the tech session on making my own. I'm hoping to make them removable with simple wing nuts. I'll fab up a bracket that mounts to the fender, than the bar will be able to come off when the saddle bags are not used. Hopefully my plan will come together.  Grin

07 S40
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/11/08 at 22:17:09

Sorry, no pics at this time. Imagine yours the same in the rear, but extending right up to the passenger peg in the front, and covering the rear shock. Otherwise the demisions are about the same as the pic you posted.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #12 - 07/12/08 at 04:28:34

Mr. Hyde wrote on 07/08/08 at 08:06:54:
What width size of saddlebags fits best on the S40 - 12 or 14 inch? I have to catalog order mine so input is appreciated. I did a mockup and it appears that 12” x 9” x 5”  slant bag would work but I have to carry my camera equipment with me so I was hoping that a 14” bag would fit. My concern is the interference with the taillights.  

Larry,
You've seen my factory oem bags and they just touch the front of the tailights on both the left and right side bags.  This hard contact seems to offer a bit of holding support.  They measure 4x14x11 inches and will nicely carry (each) 2.... 1.5 liter bottles of wine. I like them better than I thought I would and I still have them over the seat.

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #13 - 07/12/08 at 23:57:28

Bagzilla?

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #14 - 07/13/08 at 19:44:41

4carbcorvair, those look pretty good.  How do they look if you turn them around so the strap sits back on the pillion pad farther?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:35:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 12 or 14 inch saddlebags???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.