New Guy! (Read 221 times)
wsladaritz
YaBB Newbies

My other ride is a
Yaris ;)

Texas
New Guy!
07/07/08 at 21:23:53

Hi! I'm new to this forum.  First post!  Just got a '96 savage from my mom's garage where it has been hibernating for almost a year.  It's only got 8k miles on it, mostly from me riding it before I moved out.  Anyways, just got it back to my house.  New tires/tubes, oil, oil filter, air filter.  Wanted more noise so I got to searching but couldn't find any easy aftermarket solution except for a Thunderstick on ebay.  Anybody have any experience with this one?  It's supposed to just be a slide on straight.  After tryin to get it to fit for half an hour I thought I had it on there good, but it fell off after about 10 minutes riding  :'(  It went under my back wheel, but the bike and myself are okay.  Wonderin if anyone has any solutions on how to make this thing stay on??  And I read something about rejetting the carb?  How is this done?? And what exactly does it mean?

thx
Will

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: New Guy!
Reply #1 - 07/07/08 at 21:34:42

welcome,

dpn't worry to much about the rejet   just get accustomed to riding. any thing you need you can find here.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
wsladaritz
YaBB Newbies

My other ride is a
Yaris ;)

Texas
Reply #2 - 07/08/08 at 09:07:00

I'm already accustomed to riding it.  I moved out of my parents house 01/01/07 and my mom wouldn't let me take the bike with me.  I had been riding for almost a year previously.  She NEVER rides it so I finally talked her into giving it to me Smiley

But I shouldn't worry about the rejet?? even though I've replaced the muffler with a straight?  Is there anything else I should worry about?? lol

IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #3 - 07/08/08 at 09:18:41

worry about being on this site for hours at a time! i've been on for about a month and almost have a different bike. definitely tune your carb according to Lancers methodical madness. as for the thunderstick.. you know thats "off-road use only" right? don't get caught by the po-po with that loud mutha effer on. chances are they'll make you push it home. all that aside, welcome to suzukisavage.com. I think you'll like it here Cool

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #4 - 07/08/08 at 13:16:17

Welcome to the nuthouse.  You've made one good choice after another.  First the bike, now the forum.  Seems like you'll do just fine.  Go to the tech forums and just start reading.  You can find the Clymer manual online as a .pdf here: http://tightwadweb.com/Suzuki-LS650-1986to1994-ClymerServiceManual.pdf  These guys are a great bunch.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #5 - 07/08/08 at 13:26:58

Welcome.  Only words of advice about this site is beware of starting posts that are about helmets, politics, gun control, and religion.  Wink

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 07/08/08 at 13:30:19

forrest wrote on 07/08/08 at 13:26:58:
Welcome.  Only words of advice about this site is beware of starting posts that are about helmets, politics, gun control, and religion.  Wink

Don't forget oil unless you want another great oil debate  Wink

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 07/08/08 at 13:32:35

Quote:
unless you want another great oil debate  

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #8 - 07/08/08 at 13:39:34

oil???  you mean we gotta use oil?

sure...next things you're gonna tell me is we don't hafta kick start it either.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 07/08/08 at 13:42:36

Toymaker wrote on 07/08/08 at 13:39:34:
oil???  you mean we gotta use oil?

sure...next things you're gonna tell me is we don't hafta kick start it either.

Is that the problem I am having with the FireLizard? Ain't that what that thing is hanging down from the left side of the bike? I kick it but it stays down, I thought that was the kick starter.  Wink Wink

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #10 - 07/08/08 at 15:43:41

forrest wrote on 07/08/08 at 13:26:58:

dont forget Oil   Grin Grin

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #11 - 07/08/08 at 15:47:16

Shocked Shocked Woah!  Shocked guess i shouldve read down further before posting Tongue Oh well welcome to the luney bin here... Ive only had my bike almost uhh 2 months and 3700+ miles later ive modded the seat height....changed muffs, jetted the carb...hopefully tuned right Roll Eyes put a windshield on oh and next week i should have my sissy bars on an my 6" Z bars on... sheesh this group is costing me money!!!   Cool Cool

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
wsladaritz
YaBB Newbies

My other ride is a
Yaris ;)

Texas
Reply #12 - 07/08/08 at 21:03:54

Hard Corps wrote on 07/08/08 at 13:16:17:
Welcome to the nuthouse.  You've made one good choice after another.  First the bike, now the forum.  Seems like you'll do just fine.  Go to the tech forums and just start reading.  You can find the Clymer manual online as a .pdf here: http://tightwadweb.com/Suzuki-LS650-1986to1994-ClymerServiceManual.pdf  These guys are a great bunch.

So... I looked at that manual.  Got down to the part about the carb and tuning it... that is WAY too much mechanical work for me.  I don't wanna risk messing something up.  Gonna pass on the rejet carb thingy.

IP Logged
wsladaritz
YaBB Newbies

My other ride is a
Yaris ;)

Texas
Reply #13 - 07/08/08 at 21:06:14

Brad_THMP3R wrote on 07/08/08 at 09:18:41:
worry about being on this site for hours at a time! i've been on for about a month and almost have a different bike. definitely tune your carb according to Lancers methodical madness. as for the thunderstick.. you know thats "off-road use only" right? don't get caught by the po-po with that loud mutha effer on. chances are they'll make you push it home. all that aside, welcome to suzukisavage.com. I think you'll like it here Cool

I couldn't find any new pipes available for this bike though... I saw something about silencers somewhere.  Is that something I could get to put on the thunerstick to tone it down a bit?  But still have it louder that goofy stock muffler.  I just don't want to spend too much money on it since it's not completey mine  :'(

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 07/09/08 at 06:00:29

There are plenty of HD mufflers on ebay for dirt cheap, and if you use a heavy duty clamp on the front end of it and bolt it to the muffler bracket on the Savage frame it will not come off until you want to take it off.  If the muffler is slightly larger than the end of the header pipe then you can fill the space with some aluminum, cut from a soda can, and wrapped around the header end until the muffler fits snuggly.  It costs nothing and works great and will not burn or blow out.
And yes, rejet and tune the carb accordingly, and until you get that done I would not let the engine just sit and idle excessively.  Moving down the road with airflow over the engine will keep the temp down enough.  Besides, you will really like the result of a properly jetted/tuned carb with a muffler that can actually flow some air.
I suspect that the muffler used by the guy selling on ebay is the cheapy that is sold by Jireh Cycles...it is ok for a temp and will last about a year of normal riding...and is very loud.

Jireh Cycles heavy duty muffler clamp part   #66-48....$10.95/pr
   "       "               tapered muffler        "    #64-319...$36.95      

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:24:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Guy!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.