Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scratch that one off the list. (Read 214 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Scratch that one off the list.
07/07/08 at 13:19:15

On the way home, I stopped at a bike shop out on the east side of town.  They had a used XV650 (Yamaha V-Star classic) on the lot and I went in to take a test ride.

Compared to the Savage, the thing is a tank.  It weighs almost 200lbs more than the Savage making it hard to hold up in a slow speed turn.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to move up any kind of an incline without dismounting.  The riding position is stretched out and very comfortable.  The stock saddle is wide and supportive.  But thats about all the bright spots.......

Once I got it on the road, I kept asking myself "Where's the power????"  I had the throttle pegged and it was barely accelerating.  It accelerated slowly and without fanfare.  I got to a stoplight and tried to shift down through the gears.  The transmission is so vague, I had no idea if I was in gear or not.

Once I got on the freeway, I really began to regret my choice.  It was ALLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT smoother at 60mph than my Savage, but it took about 15 seconds to accelerate up to it.  Once I was up to speed, it was quiet (the engine was only turning about 2500 rpm) but when I cracked the throttle to try to pass a slow semi, all the bike did was get louder.  It would not accelerate up hill!

I got it back to the dealer where I smiled and politely asked for my keys back.  When the sales man asked why, I told him flat out, my wife's 150cc scooter accelerated better and there's no way I want to swing that much weight around on a daily basis.

Long live my Savage!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Re: Scratch that one off the list.
Reply #1 - 07/07/08 at 13:46:59

Interesting.  I've considered a V-Star 650 because the price is good and it looks to be more comfortable than the Savage.  On paper the 0-60 is 1 second slower than the Savage and 1/4 mile is .5 second slower.  I'm surprised the real world feel is that much different.  A guy on a local forum here has one and has offered to let me ride, but I haven't been able to do it yet.  I'll pass your comments on to him to get his reply.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #2 - 07/07/08 at 14:06:06

Only one second slower 0-60 on paper?  I can see that between the stock Savage and a stock XV650.

I think what makes it so night and day different is the addition of a Lancer cone fitler, upjetted carb and a Harley sportster pipe.  I haven't ridden a stock Savage in so long, it may well be that the stock Savage feels just as sluggish.

The biggest turn off to me is the weight.  Its too much weight for such a small engine...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/07/08 at 15:01:30

I'm sure that turns more than 2500 rpm at 60mph

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #4 - 07/07/08 at 15:51:32

My buddy's responces are in caps.

Quote:
Compared to the Savage, the thing is a tank. It weighs almost 200lbs more than the Savage making it hard to hold up in a slow speed turn.
ITS NOT BAD SIZEWISE- I WILL SAY THIS, ON THE FREEWAY, I WISH THE BIKE WAS A LITTLE MORE HEAVIER AS ID LIKE THE ADDED WEIGHT TO HELP AGAINST THE WIND AND OTHER CARS. YOU GET USE TO THE BIKE AND IT HELPS W/ MANUVERABILITY.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to move up any kind of an incline without dismounting.
IVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM AT ALL. I WENT FROM A HONDA 650 TO A V STAR 650 AND THOUGH THE WEIGHT WAS DIFFERENCE, IN TIME YOU GET USE TO IT. IM 5'9 225 LBS....

The riding position is stretched out and very comfortable. The stock saddle is wide and supportive. But thats about all the bright spots.......
I LIKE THE STOCK POSITION, I FEEL COMFORTABLE. MODS THAT IVE WANTED TO DO OR DONE...SHAVED THE SEAT DOWN SO IM LOWER IN THE BIKE INSTEAD OF ON TOP OF IT...AND THERE IS AN EXTENTION KIT YOU CAN BUY FOR ABOUT $135 THAT GIVES YOU ABOUT 4 MORE INCHES FORWARD. I KINDA WANT THAT, BUT I FEEL MORE SAFE NOW...IF I WERE TO DO LONGER RIDES, YEAH ID BUY IT, BUT FOR THE KINDA RIDING I DO, STOCK WORKS FINE....MY WIFE SAT ON THE BIKE AND SHES 5'5 AND WAS ABLE TO FLAT FOOT IT NO PROBLEM AND NOT HAD TO REACH FOR ANYTHING

Once I got it on the road, I kept asking myself "Where's the power????" I had the throttle pegged and it was barely accelerating. It accelerated slowly and without fanfare.
VSTAR 650S ARE KNOWN TO BE HIGHER REVING BIKES...TYHE ENGINE WILL HANDLE THE HIGHER REVS AND FOR THOSE WHO DONT KNOW, THATS WERE THE POWER IS....BY THE TIME I HIT 5TH GEAR, I'M DOING 60 MPH...MAYBE PEOPLE SHIFT AT 45 AND THERE NO POWER....SO HIGHER REVING ENGINES WILL ALLOW PEOPLE TO FEEL THE POWER THEY NEED. IT WONT RIP YOUR HEAD OFF, BUT ITS ENOUGH FOR ME TO GET UP TO 75 MPH ON THE STOCK SET UP W/ NO PROB...DID 65 W/ A PASSENGER W NO PROB EITHER...DONT FORGET, ITS A 650....THE POWER EXCHANGE, YOU GET 48-54 MPG

I got to a stoplight and tried to shift down through the gears. The transmission is so vague, I had no idea if I was in gear or not.
NEVER HAD A PROBLEM W THE GEARS...ITS YOUR BASIC SET UP....1` DOWN, n AND 4 UP...YOU DONT HEAR A BIG CLUNK LIKE HARLIES....ITSD A QUIET TRANSMISSION..

Once I got on the freeway, I really began to regret my choice. It was ALLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT smoother at 60mph than my Savage, but it took about 15 seconds to accelerate up to it.
ONCE AGAIN- REV HIGHER AND THE BIKE WILL MOVE. LOTS OF PEOPLE ON THE V STAR 650 FORUM WILL DO SOME MODS ON THE BIKE THAT ARE FREE...USUALLY HELP INCREASE THE POWER OF THE BIKE..

Once I was up to speed, it was quiet (the engine was only turning about 2500 rpm) but when I cracked the throttle to try to pass a slow semi, all the bike did was get louder. It would not accelerate up hill!
DOWNSHIFT AND ITLL GIVE YOU THE POWER THAT YOU NEED....ONCE AGAIN..ITS NOT A BIG CC ENGINE...

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #5 - 07/07/08 at 16:38:39

Yamaha advertises the XV650 as developing all of its torque relatively low in the RPM range. From my experience and that of your friend who owns one, that is not the case. The engine has to be revved pretty high to develop usable power.

Off the line, my Savage has snappy acceleration with alot of low end grunt.  The XV650 was slow to start, slow to build.  I was running along at 40mph in 3rd gear and when I cracked the throttle, it lagged before it started to climb, then slowly crept up faster.  I do the same thing on my Savage and the response is almost instant with brisk acceleration to 5500rpm.

If I'm cruising in 5th gear on my Savage and need to pass someone, I twist the throttle and go.  On the XV650, it requires a downshift, then hit the throttle and wait for the engine RPM to build.  Not my cup of tea.

When it comes to low speed maneuverability, the Savage is the hands down winner.  The extra weight of the XV650 becomes a handicap in parking lot maneuvers (pulling into a tight space) or moving it around with just your feet.  When I parked on a slight downhill tilt, I could NOT move it back up the hill while sitting on it.

It's hard for me to justify a shaft driven 650 that weighs in at over 500 lbs when a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 produces about one and a half times the horsepower and nearly double the torque for the same size and weight of a bike.

Still, I'm going to stick with my Savage.  The more I test-ride the 'bigger' cruisers, the better I like my bike......

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 07/07/08 at 17:59:08

For the past three weeks, I've had my eye on this: http://www.beabiker.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=07480738X7K7K2008J7I57I25J... as a second bike.

FSO
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #7 - 07/07/08 at 20:38:34

Quote:
It's hard for me to justify a shaft driven 650 that weighs in at over 500 lbs when a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 produces about one and a half times the horsepower and nearly double the torque for the same size and weight of a bike.

I almost bought a Kaw 900 this spring.  Didn't because we needed to spend the extra money around the house.  I may get one next spring if I can.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #8 - 07/08/08 at 05:37:45

I'm going down the hill today to ride a used Vulcan 900.  (I hate riding dealership's new bikes simply for research purposes.  I feel guilty about not buying them.  Used are just that.  A few more miles on the clock won't matter.)  I have sat on one, even ridden one a few laps around the parkinglot.  From a handling perspective, they are easy to get onto, easy to hold up and easy in a slow speed turn.  I'm looking forward to an actual ride.  Especially with the performance of the XV650 still fresh in my mind.

No, I'm not trading in my Savage either.  I'm looking for another stablemate.  (I'm also going over to Sewickley later today to look at a 2003 Buell Blast.  Mrs. Skrapiron still wants a little shifty bike so I'm taking my checkbook with me..... I could have 5 bikes in the garage by the end of the week.  Good Grief!)

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/08/08 at 06:00:10

HD

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Scratch that one off the list.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.