Tom the Rookie (Read 444 times)
treyes
YaBB Newbies

On a Slippery Slope

Eastern PA
Tom the Rookie
07/06/08 at 17:51:16

hello world

I'm Tom, up in Albany NY.  I am a beginner rider, and really looking forward to a ton of practice.

I have my permit, and got registered for the earliest BRC I could get, which is mid August.  I had no intention of even thinking about getting a bike until after the course, until I walking into a local dealer and almost being blinded

I just happened to stop in with my girlfriend (after being there the day before with my buddy) to see a delivery that they moved to the showroom floor just a few hours prior.  It was meant to be

1998 Savage, bright orange.  They had 2 new S40's right next to it, but this one bike stood out in the entire showroom, bar none.

I talked to the dealer, and cut the deal at about $2500, including a helmet

I did the paperwork, and dropped of the deposit.  They have been closed for the holiday, and I have to go back on Tues. to truck it home.  I have a few friends to ride with, but don't intend on riding much until after the course.

I'm glad to have found you guys, and have been reading through the forums for the past few days.  So far I only see one problem: I like to tinker, and can already see a few projects that I'd love to do to make her my own.

I'm sure I already have a ton of questions that I just don't know I should be asking, but for now, thanks for all the info I've already read, and I'll see you on the road (in about a month)

Tom

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Tom the Rookie
Reply #1 - 07/06/08 at 17:59:19

welcome, alot of new riders start out here. its a great place to hang out. check out the tech section, and don't be afraid to use the search function. alot of the questions you may have, have already been answered.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 07/06/08 at 18:21:46

treyes wrote on 07/06/08 at 17:51:16:
......  I like to tinker ....

Hmmmm  ... you may have found the right bike.

Fm another Tom on the East-side of PA

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
treyes
YaBB Newbies

On a Slippery Slope

Eastern PA
Reply #3 - 07/06/08 at 18:26:07

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 07/06/08 at 18:21:46:
......  I like to tinker ....

Hmmmm  ... you may have found the right bike.

Fm another Tom on the East-side of PA

Def. will do.....  I moved to Albany from Stroudsburg PA (NE area) last March, and still have a lot of friends there

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #4 - 07/06/08 at 19:30:00

the same kind of thing happened to me once...

you'll love the savage

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #5 - 07/06/08 at 19:56:05

Yep everyone's telling you facts.... Ive been on many a bike an outside of a moto guzzi your going to have to get used to these kind of answers...
No it aint a 250...add ohh 402 cc's...
Yes you can sit on it...
No it aint as small as you think....
Woah! where the <beeep> did that harley go to? ?? I thought he was right behind me?   Grin Grin

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 07/06/08 at 20:53:07

hello world...   I am a beginner rider...

no  no  you have it wrong.   It's "Hello World, I'm your new Target!"

Said it before, will say it again and again and again...  They will look straight at you and not see you.  Do not assume anyone sees you until and unless they react to your presence.  Watch the road ahead of you, a minimum of 15 seconds travel time ahead.  Check each incoming path for incoming vehicles.  Watch your rear.  Keep track of all moving objects within fifty feet of you, and as far forward as you can see.  Crashing a bike is not good, will likely cause bodily injury and much pain.

Dropping the bike is, however, rather common, especially low speed.  Choke on a low speed turn, stall, it's surprising how heavy the Savage can get.  Stop and forget to put the kickstand down.  Wet steel (rr tracks very bad).

Riding free, wind in the face, nothing between you and the world.  Aromas.  Fields of flowers, fresh mown hay, horse pasture, bakery, brewery (you can almost get high riding past a brewery).    The fuel economy of the best econoboxes with the performance of the best sports cars.  The best parking spaces (I was eight paces from the entrance of Lowes Hardward this morning.)  You have a lot of pleasant memories to create.....

WWW   IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #7 - 07/07/08 at 04:25:02

Some may disagree but I would find a quiet place with no traffic to ride before your MSF course.  Large parking lot, a quiet subdvision etc. Office parks on weekends are good too. Getting used to riding a bike and the coordination of throttle and brake as well as low speed maneuvers will help you to get more out of your Safety Course as you can concentrate more on the safety skills they are trying to teach you instead of just keeping your bike running.

My two cents.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 07/07/08 at 05:39:44

Enjoy your Savage. +1 on the MSF course. I would suggest only practicing beforehand if you have someone to help/observe. Otherwise you may be reinforcing bad habits that you'll spend your whole course trying to unlearn before you can learn.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 07/07/08 at 06:09:21

My impression of the MSF course, as given in California, was that it was designed to take a person who had never before been on a motorcycle and take them to being not a great threat to the health and safety of themselves or others.  There were a couple of such in my class.  

My class had the on-bike part over two weekends.  If yours is the same you could (should?) practice the lessons of the first weekend prior to the second.

WWW   IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #10 - 07/07/08 at 06:20:41

Here in South Carolina the course is three days. A Friday night of classroom work then Sat-Sun riding in parking lot with one off parking lot excursion late on Sunday. Since it happens in such a short time I feel it is best to have a bit of riding experience in a controlled environment so you can really absorb the lessons.

IP Logged
treyes
YaBB Newbies

On a Slippery Slope

Eastern PA
Reply #11 - 07/07/08 at 14:10:14

thanks everybody...

I actually plan on doing a little bit of both.  Its gonna be here and I think I'll just have to try it out a little.

I have a friend with a Harley, and his wife just bought a VStar.  She is taking her BRC this coming weekend (F, S, S).  He has offered to take us both out so we can practice together.  I figure I can get some pointers and have an idea of what they'll be showing in the class.

My class is a little different, being 2 Wednesdays.  That should give me a chance to get on the road a bit between sessions.

By this time tomorrow, it should be home!

IP Logged
Scottler

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saratoga County, NY
Reply #12 - 07/08/08 at 09:51:58

Hey Tom, I'm also a newbie in your area.  (Just north, in southern Saratoga County.)  I'll keep my eyes open for you out on the streets!

IP Logged
jimR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

upstate NY Albany
Reply #13 - 07/08/08 at 11:10:31

Hi Tom, Jim here i'm in  Albany also. I'll keep an eye out for you. I've got a '07. bought it at Seymours. This is the the fifth bike I've owned and it is the most interesting. I've yet to see myself coming down the road. Wink

IP Logged
treyes
YaBB Newbies

On a Slippery Slope

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 07/08/08 at 13:01:50

Just got back from Seymour's, but the bike's not home just yet.

The ramps that we have for the pickup are a bit too steep, and probably too slippery when wet to take it off at street level.  There's an unloading area at work, so I left it there, locked up in the garage for the night.

So I don't quite have it home, but it's officially mine.  Hopefully tomorrow won't be rainy, and I'll get to take my first ride around the parking lot

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 23:26:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tom the Rookie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.