"New" bike (Read 94 times)
Ian
YaBB Newbies

1995 LS650, 2008
FLHRC

Northern Virginia
"New" bike
07/05/08 at 07:01:56

My daughter picked up a 1995 LS650 off craigslist last month. Got a really sweet deal on it. She's the third owner and the bike only has 1500 miles on it. Has been a garage queen since all the usual indicators of mileage don't suggest a broken speedo. Great paint and 'new' tires. The other owners tried to learn to ride and dropped her a couple of times before giving up and parking it in their garages. The footpegs are a little bent. I'll replace those with footboards if anyone has some suggestions. We also bolted on a Wingerline highwaybar - looks nice and pretty decent fit.  Also bolted on some OEM saddlebag brackets - the forward bolts needed 1/4" removed - too long for the acorn nuts - grrrr - you'd think they'd be the right length for OEM. We're thinking about rejetting and a drag pipe. Any good sources for header pipes?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: "New" bike
Reply #1 - 07/05/08 at 07:24:08

First thing I would do is check the date code on those tires.  If it's a '95 with 1500 miles they are most likely the originals.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't send my daughter out on 13 year old tires and tubes.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 07/05/08 at 07:28:30

Take the muffler off and see if you like the noise.  It can be real loud.   Also, the bike runs a little better with some back pressure......

Harley Dyna mufflers are almost bolt on's.  A Srceaming Eagle Muffler woudl be rather loud.

I have  an aftermarket Turn-out, aand I was setting off car alarms.  I have since baffle-ed it down just a little.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Ian
YaBB Newbies

1995 LS650, 2008
FLHRC

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 07/05/08 at 08:20:12

Setting off car alarms is fun. I have SuperTrapps on my Road King and does it all the time Grin

IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Reply #4 - 07/05/08 at 08:38:54

Ian wrote on 07/05/08 at 08:20:12:
Setting off car alarms is fun. I have SuperTrapps on my Road King and does it all the time Grin

Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Loud pipes are one reason why people hate motorcyclists, and I think that that makes it more dangerous out there for all of us.

Please re-think sending your daughter out on the road with loud pipes.

Cheers,

Spiff

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/05/08 at 09:46:54

Paladin. wrote on 07/05/08 at 07:24:08:
First thing I would do is check the date code on those tires.  If it's a '95 with 1500 miles they are most likely the originals.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't send my daughter out on 13 year old tires and tubes.

I strongly agree.  Any article that addresses the issue of old tires, will tell you that tires & tubes as old as these are dangerous, no matter how good they look.  The rubber dry rots even though you may not see it, and the tires can burst under use.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:31:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "New" bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.